Male Cast Member Costumes

StarWarsGirl

I have spent the last two days roaming the Walt Disney Resort with my family. Has anyone notice male cast members now wearing female costuming? For example: Friday evening a male with a beard wearing a dress in the Magic Kingdom- Pecos Bill Tall Tale Inn and Cafe cleaning tables, Saturday morning Animal Kingdom aviary male cast members with press on nails tater long painted red, Saturday afternoon in Epcot- Akershus Royal Banquet Hall a male with a beard dressed in Norwegian female costuming outside the restaurant. Is this something new at the Walt Disney Resort?
Yes and I can confidently say it did not have an impact on my trip. Like, at all.

JoeCamel

I’ve seen it at Disneyland, haven’t been to wdw much since the change, I can’t remember if I saw it there or not.

What I HAVE seen at WDW is more and more shorts worn by Main Street Operations, those bother me more. That’s supposed to be a formal uniform for Main Street, they still wear long pants at Disneyland and it looks so much classier.
Is it 90000 degrees in Anaheim year round?

castlecake2.0

I’ve seen it at Disneyland, haven’t been to wdw much since the change, I can’t remember if I saw it there or not.

What I HAVE seen at WDW is more and more shorts worn by Main Street Operations, those bother me more. That’s supposed to be a formal uniform for Main Street, they still wear long pants at Disneyland and it looks so much classier.
PAC can wear shorts, Main Street ops cannot, they just wear similar costumes

Cmdr_Crimson

Or go the one "one park one uniform" method as many parks seem to like and cut corners..
a4cd805af4171c77139f9f614115bc0e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

flynnibus

Premium Member
If someone wants to identify as female - then let them where the female costume and vice versa.

But don't mix and match. Gender specific uniforms are usually made differently because they do aim to work with the body type or because they are a costume aligned with a specific character role.

My experience is those who identify different then their biology also try to be understood as that gender as well. As was said to me "If I have to tell you what gender I am, then that's on me". The ones wanting to identify as male, wanted to look and be perceived as male... and vise versa. Obviously not everyone has the body matching their identity, but they tend to dress or cover that as they feel comfortable to fit their identity.

I don't see a cis male wearing the female HM outfit as appropriate. Same as I see someone identifying as female trying to wear a jacket and tie as conflicting - not because I reject their identify, but because jacket and tie is male atire. Likewise, I don't want a male lifeguard identifying as female wearing a onepiece ladies suit if it doesn't fit their body as it would not work as intended or a female w/o top surgery wearing just a set of trunks. Many roles wear a shirt making this problem less obvious - but the motivations for the conflict are the same. Don't wear outfits that don't match your form or identity. The costumes that are unisex are made for that. The costumes that are made to convey a specific image should be maintained.

Vegas Disney Fan

Maybe they should just make ALL costuming unisex? I'd be curious to see what reaction that would provoke among CMs. Not sure whether 99+% of guests would notice or care.
I hate this idea but it’s probably the best solution at this point.

I love the traditional costumes on Main Street, for us they are just as important to the theming as the architecture, old time transportation, and music, the problem is many modern ideas are contradictory with the early 20th century Main Street theme. The same is true of Liberty Square, the Epcot pavilions, and many of the lands.

If the choices are see something that you’d never have seen on Main street usa or see a more generic costume that isn’t theme accurate but also doesn’t stand out for how inaccurate it is they’re probably better off going with something generic that doesn’t stand out.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Maybe they should just make ALL costuming unisex? I'd be curious to see what reaction that would provoke among CMs. Not sure whether 99+% of guests would notice or care.
People would notice - but more in the sense of 'losing what you had'.

Most newer costumes are pretty unisex in design (even if not unisex in fit). Look at TSL for instance

tsl.png

Or Rewind...
gotg-cosmicrewind-castmembers.png

I think the issue is where certain existing designs were specifically picked to be more gender specific or period oriented. Look back at the old American Adventure costumes.. which were really 'modernized' even if the female costume is still decidedly feminine.. but far less than the colonial costumes they replaced. The HM butler and maid constomes being other stand outs.

World Showcase is probably a lightning rod in general because so many of the costumes were picked to be traditional clothing - which of course is going to be more gender specific or at least.. gender associated.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Maybe society should see any style of clothing, whether trousers or skirt/kilt, as unisex. And stop worrying about "what's for boys" and "what's for girls."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom