Major Epcot Update: Kodak Out?

s8film40

World of Motion and Test Track have the same building though.
Yes, I don't think they would necessarily have to completely teardown the imagination pavilion to accommodate an E-ticket attraction they could completely gut it like they did for Test Track, there is certainly enough space when you account for the space used for the ride, the theater, and the space in the pyramids. I think it would all depend on what if any concept they come up with wether they could use some or all of the existing structures, but either way it would be something maybe with the exception of the outside appearance that we wouldn't recognize as the Imagination pavilion we now know.

Grizzly Hall 71

Yes, I don't think they would necessarily have to completely teardown the imagination pavilion to accommodate an E-ticket attraction they could completely gut it like they did for Test Track, there is certainly enough space when you account for the space used for the ride, the theater, and the space in the pyramids. I think it would all depend on what if any concept they come up with wether they could use some or all of the existing structures, but either way it would be something maybe with the exception of the outside appearance that we wouldn't recognize as the Imagination pavilion we now know.

Didn't Fuji come along at one point trying to put a coaster in there? A coaster or e ticket can fit in there but we just need a company who will spend money.

PrincessBelle96

I went August 5th-14th and the sign said Captain EO.
DSCN3005.jpg

officeboy

I thought I read on here long (LONG) ago that after retrofitting the GM structure for TT Disney decided it was not feasible to do that again. If changes to the Imagination Pavilion on par with the introduction of TT are required I strongly doubt they would not bulldoze and start over.

The exception for this concept might be if some mitigating circumstance was in play like the updated ride at Seas and the pool. Can't bulldoze that easily. But whats in IMag that can't just go? Nothing that I can think of.

s8film40

I thought I read on here long (LONG) ago that after retrofitting the GM structure for TT Disney decided it was not feasible to do that again. If changes to the Imagination Pavilion on par with the introduction of TT are required I strongly doubt they would not bulldoze and start over.

The exception for this concept might be if some mitigating circumstance was in play like the updated ride at Seas and the pool. Can't bulldoze that easily. But whats in IMag that can't just go? Nothing that I can think of.

Yeah I have to agree, I think if anything happens at all with the pavilion it will probably be completely torn down. While I like the structure myself I'm sure any potential sponsor will insist the glass pyramids and buildings look "dated". That will be a sad day when it happens.

NoChesterHester

Interesting. I bet that in today's world of environmentally friendly construction they would be hard pressed to completely level and start over. A good steward is using less and by reusing existing structure or materials, that means you are wasting less. Besides, demolition is not cheap.

In doing a bunch of very large scale renovation work myself it can really go either way. If done correctly not building new foundations, exterior skin, or a superstructure can save you a bunch of money. I've also seen where the client would have been much better off financially with leveling the building and starting over, but those people had more money than sense.

NoChesterHester

Yeah I have to agree, I think if anything happens at all with the pavilion it will probably be completely torn down. While I like the structure myself I'm sure any potential sponsor will insist the glass pyramids and buildings look "dated". That will be a sad day when it happens.

Do the glass pyramids at the Louvre' look dated?

I disagree. A fresh outlook and that pavilion could be made to look amazing. I think it is one of the better structures in future world.

Grizzly Hall 71

I disagree too, I just don't think a new sponsor would go for the current look.

The windows (and the ones at the land) just need a fresh cleaning. It always seems they are dirty to me. A fresh cleaning and the pavilion would look nice. That and of course the return of the blue color scheme.

mightynine

I disagree too, I just don't think a new sponsor would go for the current look.

On the flip side, any new sponsor could also consider what blacklash they would receive if they destroyed the current look.

If the rumors of a return of Dreamfinder and Figment come about, I'd wager they'd want to keep the building, but that's me.

Of course, I don't consider the "look" of the building to be outdated.

s8film40

The windows (and the ones at the land) just need a fresh cleaning. It always seems they are dirty to me. A fresh cleaning and the pavilion would look nice. That and of course the return of the blue color scheme.

Yeah I think it would look great, but if this pavilion gets a new sponsor the pyramids will be the one thing that definitely goes, glass structures like that were a big style in the 80's and used in way too many shopping malls for any sponsor to allow it to remain.

DDPGambit

Whatever they do, they had better not mess with the pyramids. The glass pyramids are our gateway to the journey into imagination! Sorry, just hadda do it!

s8film40

On the flip side, any new sponsor could also consider what blacklash they would receive if they destroyed the current look.

If the rumors of a return of Dreamfinder and Figment come about, I'd wager they'd want to keep the building, but that's me.

Of course, I don't consider the "look" of the building to be outdated.

They have never really taken the fan following into account when building new attractions, and I wouldn't think they would start now. If the pavilion gets a new sponsor they're going to want something new and fresh. I think if Figment and Dreamfinder remain it will be somewhere on the level of little hidden references like the Horizons logo in the Mission Space gift shop.

Grizzly Hall 71

Yeah I think it would look great, but if this pavilion gets a new sponsor the pyramids will be the one thing that definitely goes, glass structures like that were a big style in the 80's and used in way too many shopping malls for any sponsor to allow it to remain.

True but being it is glass it gives type of a retro future thing so it's not that bad but I see what you mean. Honestly the most dated looking pavilion is WOL. Inside and out it just dated itself. The whole 80's health craze theme was kinda fading at the time.

officeboy

Interesting. I bet that in today's world of environmentally friendly construction they would be hard pressed to completely level and start over. A good steward is using less and by reusing existing structure or materials, that means you are wasting less. Besides, demolition is not cheap.

In doing a bunch of very large scale renovation work myself it can really go either way. If done correctly not building new foundations, exterior skin, or a superstructure can save you a bunch of money. I've also seen where the client would have been much better off financially with leveling the building and starting over, but those people had more money than sense.

In your large scale renovation work did you ever try to reinforce a structure to withstand the loads incurred by a roller coaster? I suspect the needs in this case are not normal and in fact quite unique, and possibly not relevant to your experience. Speaking out of turn, yes. Just sayin...

While I agree Green = good, in my opinion the folks in charge look at green as a marketing tool, not so much as a (re)design guide. If it makes good business sense, marketing included, then they would absolutely consider reuse. Good environmental steward=Walt. TDO, mmmmm not so much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom