Major Epcot Update: Kodak Out?

NoChesterHester

In your large scale renovation work did you ever try to reinforce a structure to withstand the loads incurred by a roller coaster? I suspect the needs in this case are not normal and in fact quite unique, and possibly not relevant to your experience. Speaking out of turn, yes. Just sayin...

While I agree Green = good, in my opinion the folks in charge look at green as a marketing tool, not so much as a (re)design guide. If it makes good business sense, marketing included, then they would absolutely consider reuse. Good environmental steward=Walt. TDO, mmmmm not so much.

I was merely sharing a point of view. I wasn't interviewing to do the job.

No roller coaster experience, but then again isn't assuming a roller coaster a bit premature. A structure that was originally purposed to house a slow dark ride could theoretically house a similar updated attraction without razing it to the ground???

Foolish1

thanks for the info! I hope that Fuji films to be a sponsor of Imagination!

I hate to tell you this, but as long as Kodak is a WDW sponsor, Fuji will NEVER get to sponsor anything. Somewhere I read those contracts are exclusive, and iron clad. Besides, if you were Kodak, wouldn't you WANT it in your contract that Disney could not deal with Fuji or any other competitor? You are paying millions per year for your sponsorship, why not get exclusivity.

JustInTime

I didn't realize everything was all walled off! Have we figured out why? Just a simple refurb? I hope something good will be added. I hope that terrible ride gets re-done. It's the worst thing I have ever ridden, I think.

P.S. Not that I support this but...Ratatouille has CONSTANT references to FIGMENT and IMAGINATION when Gusteau is in the picture.

Tigger1988

Can someone fill me in as to why people want Fuji Film as a sponsor? Are they really any better off than Kodak in today's digital world?

If anything you'd want Nikon or Canon, the leaders in digital imaging today.

NoChesterHester

Can someone fill me in as to why people want Fuji Film as a sponsor? Are they really any better off than Kodak in today's digital world?

I second. I don't understand the reasoning, and I'm not trying to be snarky. I really am curious if they have a bigger global presence than I realize.

Why does it have to be a film/imaging tie in anyway? I love the Apple idea. There is a company that is truly innovative, not to mention would bring a real edge to the design and quality. Imagination could mean a company like Hallmark (stay with me here). Google? (doubtful with Jobs as the big shareholder) Crayola? Etc... etc... etc...

mightynine

I think Fuji is the first one people think of because they were the ones in the picture years ago. But if Kodak's not leaving WDW altogether, you can forget another company in that market, even a Nikon or Canon.

If you ask me, I'd rather see them go after Nintendo. I think Apple's not an option because of HP's presence in FW. On the flip side, Jobs' role on the Board might keep Microsoft out - but then, it hasn't stopped the only Disney Mobile Magic app from being a Verizon only product, so maybe that doesn't mean as much as we think.

EDIT: Crayola's not a bad idea either. What about Lego?

cheezbat

Ill tell you why people think Fuji...because they probably heard about the propsed Mt. Fuji roller coaster ride that was talked about for the Pavillion in Japan years and years ago. That didn't happen for a few reasons, one being Kodak not wanting their competition's name being used in a park THEY were sponsoring. Even though Mt Fuji has NOTHING to do with FujiFilm, aside from sharing a name. lol

TheDisneyMagic

I think Fuji is the first one people think of because they were the ones in the picture years ago. But if Kodak's not leaving WDW altogether, you can forget another company in that market, even a Nikon or Canon.

If you ask me, I'd rather see them go after Nintendo. I think Apple's not an option because of HP's presence in FW. On the flip side, Jobs' role on the Board might keep Microsoft out - but then, it hasn't stopped the only Disney Mobile Magic app from being a Verizon only product, so maybe that doesn't mean as much as we think.

EDIT: Crayola's not a bad idea either. What about Lego?

Remember Microsoft has a nice sponsership deal over at Disneyland Resort within Innoventions.

Thrill Seeker

Original Poster
Verizon could work since all they sponsor is Kim Possible...

Then again, perhaps Imagination will continue to run sponsorless. Future World is now mostly without sponsors and the three attractions that have them are three of the landmarks. Imagination is a small pavilion in scope compared to Test Track or SSE. If UoE can survive without a sponsor, I'm sure Imagination can. Let's just hope that now that Kodak is officially out, Disney will put plans in motion to bring the glory days of the pavilion back.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Ill tell you why people think Fuji...because they probably heard about the propsed Mt. Fuji roller coaster ride that was talked about for the Pavillion in Japan years and years ago. That didn't happen for a few reasons, one being Kodak not wanting their competition's name being used in a park THEY were sponsoring. Even though Mt Fuji has NOTHING to do with FujiFilm, aside from sharing a name. lol

No, Fujifilm sponsors a few attractions in Tokyo Disneyland and I believe they have since it opened

Tigger1988

Yeah, I get that we won't see any other imaging company as sponsors while Kodak is still at WDW. But people are talking about Kodak going under and such, I don't think Fuji is that better off in today's industry.

mightynine

Yeah, I get that we won't see any other imaging company as sponsors while Kodak is still at WDW. But people are talking about Kodak going under and such, I don't think Fuji is that better off in today's industry.

Well, I think they went digital before Kodak, so they have a better rep in that area?

I dunno, my digital cameras are a Canon and a Nikon.

What about someone like Sony?

s8film40

Kodak is still very much in the film business and is still the leader. Just because consumers switched to digital doesn't mean film is gone. Kodak and any other film company just needs to adjust a little that's all.

gustaftp

Surely I can't be the only one who noticed the logos are different in these two photos?

All this speculation about what's going on - but isn't it possible that they are simply swapping out the older logos in favor of their new logos in an effort to standardize their branding?

IMAGPAV_1_998.jpg

2znopdv.jpg

A logo history shows that Kodak updated their logo in the not-so-distant past, so this may just have been an oversight that is now being corrected:
bcle-09.jpg

Tigger1988

Kodak is still very much in the film business and is still the leader. Just because consumers switched to digital doesn't mean film is gone. Kodak and any other film company just needs to adjust a little that's all.

I know that, but some others in this thread don't seem to. Which was my point.

I do believe they stopped selling film back in 2004/2005 though, which may be where the confusion lies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom