Major 2015 Pirates of the Caribbean Refurbishment Watch/Rumor.

osucbsb

Well that stinks..sounds like it is needed though. We really loved it when were there 5 years ago. I guess we will just have to use that time for another trip down Splash Mountain. :)

Last edited:

betty rose

This may be memory playing tricks, but I recall riding back in the day when the boats didn't stack, such that you didn't stop until you got to the final scene. Same with IASW. It just seems like they run more boats in the flume these days. Can anyone in the know confirm or deny?
I have the same memories.

TheGhostWithTheMost

This may be memory playing tricks, but I recall riding back in the day when the boats didn't stack, such that you didn't stop until you got to the final scene. Same with IASW. It just seems like they run more boats in the flume these days. Can anyone in the know confirm or deny?
It's a combination of more boats on the river, boats moving slower, and an increase of guests with disabilities/wheelchairs. Mainly the last one. The boats obviously cannot dispatch at proper times at unload unless boats are hitting dispatch times at load. There is a rise of things like obesity where is takes longer for guests to step on and off boats. And there are guests who have to be physically transferred by members of their parties from their wheelchairs. These things take time and they take time at load and unload. This is a big reason that boats backup more than they used to.

Bocabear

They did and still do unload more than one boat at a time, but I don't think they ever had a dual canal unload system... and they really need that. $ boats at a time would stop the stack up from ever happening...
IASW has a tower...not Pirates.

JediMasterMatt

It's a combination of more boats on the river, boats moving slower, and an increase of guests with disabilities/wheelchairs. Mainly the last one. The boats obviously cannot dispatch at proper times at unload unless boats are hitting dispatch times at load. There is a rise of things like obesity where is takes longer for guests to step on and off boats. And there are guests who have to be physically transferred by members of their parties from their wheelchairs. These things take time and they take time at load and unload. This is a big reason that boats backup more than they used to.

To be fair with the whole stacking thing, it's really a byproduct of there being no space between the last show scene and unload. Even Disneyland's PotC has a chain of boats waiting to unload; but, rarely does that create a significant delay create a significant backup in the show scenes since they can stack in the "cooldown" section at the top of the lift.

The only way to get rid of it or reduce it significantly would be to have more buffer space to get more boats out of the show zone. Of course that would mean pushing unload further up the flume; which the only spot to do that would be going to a flush loading system.

Flush loading systems are the best/fastest way of getting people on and off attractions as those anxious to get on have a tendency to push those debarking out; but, they run the risk of a delay on load or unload causing the backup. Split load and unload can offset some of the risk of a delay at ingress or egress because they typically have the ability to serve as a buffer.

Honestly, the best thing for MK's Pirates to fix this issue would be a hybrid return to its original state. Return to dual channels at load; but, go with flush load/unload and have a dispatcher release each side when ready. If one side is slow, the other can bypass its spot in line. Of course, with ADA concerns this would be a logistical nightmare as you'd need to get people in and out of the middle of the two flumes. No worries though, as it would never happen as it's too expensive to even consider.

An extra item to add to the list of why backups are more common these days and one that I think is more of an issue with Disney Parks attractions than the disabled - the amount of stuff people are carrying around with them these days. If you watch closely, the slowest people to load and unload are the ones carrying around enough equipment to bog down a Sherpa.

dstrawn9889

They did and still do unload more than one boat at a time, but I don't think they ever had a dual canal unload system... and they really need that. $ boats at a time would stop the stack up from ever happening...
IASW has a tower...not Pirates.
ok, ok tower is the wrong word, they did merge below the show control area.

taka24

Very disappointed that Pirates is going to be closed for refurbishment when I'm there in June, but I can definitely understand why. Does anyone know if the gift shop will be open while the ride is closed?

Monorail_Red_77

That's not true and hasn't been for awhile. The back row is in use.
True the back row is in use. I got to ride in it back in January and got pretty soaked along my left side, lower back area, as I was on the outside left position. However, I did notice that in either December or September that the back row was roped off during one of those visits. Can't remember which visit specifically though.

WDWtraveler

Photo discovery as of Tuesday, Mar 10. Riding the Epcot monorail you pass by a construction/staging area where the old airstrip used to be in the mid-20th century (east side of monorail). Two towers are being constructed in this area, only visible for a few seconds. My first thought is they could be replacement towers for the Spanish fort inside Pirates of the Caribbean, since they have that shape and turret top, which is why I posted these photos here. However, someone else might have a better clue (i.e., movie prop, future attraction, something completely different). The tower on the left is still metal framework. The tower on the right has a outer covering.

IMG_5033.JPG

in this photo, you see the right tower with the "turret top" shape.

IMG_5035.JPG

Members of the forum....I have moved my post/photos for these towers to the hub redevelopment forum, as I am now convinced that is their purpose. I recommend continuing the discussion at that forum, vice cluttering the Pirates of the Caribbean forum topic. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Last edited:

Mike S

Photo discovery as of Tuesday, Mar 10. Riding the Epcot monorail you pass by a construction/staging area where the old airstrip used to be in the mid-20th century (east side of monorail). Two towers are being constructed in this area, only visible for a few seconds. My first thought is they could be replacement towers for the Spanish fort inside Pirates of the Caribbean, since they have that shape and turret top, which is why I posted these photos here. However, someone else might have a better clue (i.e., movie prop, future attraction, something completely different). The tower on the left is still metal framework. The tower on the right has a outer covering.

View attachment 86337

View attachment 86338
Curiouser and curiouser...........

Sage of Time

View attachment 86337

View attachment 86338
That actually looks more like what they're going to put in the Hub, by the castle, doesn't it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom