Major 2015 Pirates of the Caribbean Refurbishment Watch/Rumor.

NearTheEars

Simple physics suggest that weight is indeed a factor here. If the boats where not as heavy they would float higher in the water.

I guess I've done all I can. Even gave an example of when an entire row was left empty (making the load potentially 100s of pounds lighter) with the same wet results.

But it's not worth it for me to dig back through the thread to quote the folks with actual knowledge of the problem to counter your "everybody is just too fat now" argument.

Old Mouseketeer

It has been mentioned several times in this thread that weight is not the issue. Even with the rear row completely empty (following the finger incident) the boats continued to take on water.

This bears repeating. The issue may be different at Disneyland iasw vs. Pirates vs. WDW Pirates.

The factors at iasw were several. In fact, adults have become heavier since the ride was created in 1964. Add to this the change in ridership. When iasw premiered at the NY World's Fair and moved to Disneyland in the mid-1960s, more children rode it. Today, there is a higher level of repeat ridership by adults for nostalgia's sake. Overall, the boats are heavier. To wit--before the refurb and new boats CMs were literally loading every other row.

But this does not equal "fat people are sinking the boats at WDW Pirates". You have to take into account all the factors including that the flume was not designed for the "Rubbermaid " boats.

ToTBellHop

Small world doesn't have an issue with their boats.
Small World at DL certainly DID have an issue with boats getting stuck due to the weight of guests. They rectified the issue. It is certainly the case that the average weight and size of humans has impacted ride vehicle design and lowered hourly capacity.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I guess I've done all I can. Even gave an example of when an entire row was left empty (making the load potentially 100s of pounds lighter) with the same wet results.

But it's not worth it for me to dig back through the thread to quote the folks with actual knowledge of the problem to counter your "everybody is just too fat now" argument.
I NEVER said that.

JoeCamel

I rode this three times last night in the back two rows, no water to speak of, I certainly was wetter walking around in the rain than the floor of the boats were. No complaints from those in the front either. It feels like they extended the run out on the drop so you are on the wheels longer so less bow wave.

Seeing ALL the elements working is amazing! I didn't know what I had been missing all these years or that some of the AAs I thought were supposed to be static were actually broken/inop. The costumes are bright and detailed and Barbarossa's is exceptional. Both Davey Jones and Blackbeard show clearly in full color on the mist screen and the audio is very good. The battle scene is clear and well lit compared to what was before.

I have 0 dust in my veins but I was blown away by the quality of the refurb and I was looking for holes in the presentation/show. My only quibble is the dog with the key needs his tail cleaned up. It is shedding and piling up where it wags back and forth. Other than that it is great.

Waited less than 10 mins with a posted time of 20 twice and FP the third time.

Monoblanco13

I don't ask for many favors, but, I would sure like to see that type of garbage statement stopped. It has nothing to do with anyone's weight, never has and still doesn't. Two people that weigh 125 pounds equals 250 pounds. So maybe two 125 pounders wouldn't like the fix either. I think you were just joking (at least I hope so) but, there are many people that would take that as justification for erroneous conclusions.

Unfortunately I know cast members who work the attraction that have been told to try and balance out the boat, as weight in the current fleet does play some role.

peter11435

Unfortunately I know cast members who work the attraction that have been told to try and balance out the boat, as weight in the current fleet does play some role.
That has always been the case even with the old belts and is true for most free floating boats. Go ride the Storybook Land Canal Boats at Disneyland and you'll really see cast organize guests by size.

BoarderPhreak

Looks like it's open for business again! Surprised I haven't seen coverage here (or did I miss it?)

http://www./2015/09/pirate-of-the-caribbean-reopens-at-walt-disney-world-with-a-new-refreshed-look/

PorterRedkey

Simple physics suggest that weight is indeed a factor here. If the boats where not as heavy they would float higher in the water.

It't true that lighter boats don't sink as deep into the water. Disney visitors come in various sizes and Pirates has handled all sizes well until the new boats were added. Why did the problem only begin when they got the new boats? The old boats were not having these issues. So based on this reasoning it seems the boats are to blame.

The problems may go deeper than this, but I think replacing the boats would help a lot.

ToTBellHop

It't true that lighter boats don't sink as deep into the water. Disney visitors come in various sizes and Pirates has handled all sizes well until the new boats were added. Why did the problem only begin when they got the new boats? The old boats were not having these issues. So based on this reasoning it seems the boats are to blame.

The problems may go deeper than this, but I think replacing the boats would help a lot.
Yes it would. With a fleet better equipped to float Fat 'Merica.

Bairstow

I may be the only person who secretly is happy you still get wet. I always thought the new "getting wet" part was a deliberate addition to the ride (until seeing on here it wasn't). To me, it adds to the ride. :)

There's fun "getting wet" and then there's annoying getting wet.

When you ride Splash Mountain and little droplets of water splash all around your face and arms during the drop, that's fun.

In Pirates, when a cupful or so of water creeps across the seat after the drop and soaks into the seat of your pants and underwear, it's lame.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom