Major 2015 Pirates of the Caribbean Refurbishment Watch/Rumor.

mouse_luv

I haven't been to WDW since October 2014. When did the water in the boats problem start? I've never had that issue. Just curious if it in the past year or was I just lucky enough to not get wet feet.

They got new boats at some point in 2014. I know it was before Sept 2014 because we knew about it by our trip by then, and made sure to sit towards the middle/back of the boat for this reason.

Bairstow

dreamscometrue

I have a super easy, cheap solution for the 'getting wet on the ride' issue.
Just erect a few well themed signs that state: "Welcome to 'The Splashing Pirates of the Caribbean Attraction'. You will get wet. You may get soaked."
You're welcome.

180º

DL's boats aren't perfect. While sitting in the front row this year I got more wet then on Splash Mountain.
Of note, from this thread: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/say-it-aint-bateau.904790/
Here's what's happening at Disneyland Pirates. I'm a former Pirates cast member and I was working there while they tested three new prototype boats (of the same design) last year.

First of all, I believe that the fleet currently in service is at least the second set of boats since Pirates opened in 1967 and more than 20 years old. The original boats had five rows and these have six. They are made of reinforced fiberglass with an inner metal frame to which are attached the four guide wheels on the side of the boat. It is these guide wheels that are in contact with the submerged metal guide rails that form the "flume".

The WDW Pirates boats are based on the Disneyland Small World "Rubbermaid" boats that were introduced after iasw's major refurb a few year ago. They tried these at Disneyland a few years ago, but they failed spectacularly. The guide wheels literally ripped themselves out of the side of the plastic boat. Remember, California has two drops, and our second (smaller) drop is still longer than Florida's drop, which is basically a water slide.

The current boats at Disneyland are very durable, but with their age are taking on water. During the past few years they have added first one and now two vacuums on the unload dock concealed in dockside crates to vacuum out the boats, mostly rows one and six. Management has repeatedly monkeyed around with the seating configuration to try and optimize the maximum number of guests versus the minimum amount of water. It used to be 3-4-4-4-4-3. Then they reduced the back row to two, then the front row to two, then they (disastrously) tried three in every row (suggested by an efficiency expert) which tanked the capacity numbers. Last I heard it was 3-4-4-4-4-2, but that may have changed. Remember, the target is 2700 people per hour.

I worked some overnight shifts with the prototype boats last year. They were tested empty and with "water dummies", which are the large plastic water tanks designed to "sit" in the seats and mimic the weight of actual passengers. These are used on everything from Pirates to Big Thunder to Racers. There are also some tests with sandbags. They tested everything from the load belts and sensors (which are very important) to the flow over the flume pumps (around 30 zones as I recall) to the evac brakes to the drops and lift.

I assume these prototypes were the model for the seven boats currently in circulation. We were told last year that we would receive new boats in phases over six months or more. They actually have channels that allow water to flow to the back of the boat between rows five and six and empty back into the flume through a one-way valve when the boat goes up the lift. That part of it seemed to work well in testing, although I heard there were other problems.

We were promised new boats for 10 years. It became a famous myth in New Orleans attractions--kind of our local Loch Ness Monster or Bigfoot!

I hope these new boats work out--they are long overdue. Pirates has a great crew and they sustain the high capacity through their blood, sweat, and tears. Between the backdoor entries, which include handicapped, readmissions, and Guided Tours/VIPs, and the extended queue which is all temporary rope and stanchions, it is very frustrating and difficult to manage, despite the dedication and camaraderie of the crew. There are some great people there and they are not appreciated as much as they deserve. Management are largely a bunch of humorless trolls who got promoted by learning to play the game.

Pirates is a magnificent attraction and beloved by those who work it--but there's a high burnout rate. Even Bruce, the famous pirate with a real pegleg, bailed out. Hopefully the new boats will work out--they are long overdue.

Trivia: The prototypes last year (and probably the new boats in service) were made in China. Shanghai Disneyland's Pirate boats are being made in Tustin, California, 10-15 miles from Anaheim!

That's what I currently know. I was last in the park a month ago. Whenever I go again I'll try and chat up some Pirates and see if I can learn anything new.

Cesar R M

Well we wouldn't to emotionally damage our delicate children.
Np9v3qS.jpg

scout68

There is a plan to reduce the water issue. It hasn't begun yet and will take time.

The ultimate solution would be to install yet another new fleet.

We (my brood consisting of wife 135 lbs children 2 @ 60lbs and meself 190, 6'1" by the way) had our vessel of the current fleet lodged, jammed, run aground as it were just shy of the mermaids not long ago. In fairness to the situational facts I feel I must divulge that our tug was bow heavy.
As the poor gal listed starboard and struck bottom we were in a tight spot. Taking on water, a subtle panic ensued. The overall thoughts of our demise were quickly anesthetized by a quick and creative cast member who led us in a rousing and rhythmic chant of heave ho. That was accompanied by instructions to lurch forward and aft. This took a about 100,000 verses of Dead Men Tell No Tales. Thankfully all hands were accounted for and we continued on our journey.

Perhaps a new fleet of Boston Whalers will do the trick.

Goofyernmost

I know how to fix the boat problem, but people over 250 pounds wouldn't like it.
I don't ask for many favors, but, I would sure like to see that type of garbage statement stopped. It has nothing to do with anyone's weight, never has and still doesn't. Two people that weigh 125 pounds equals 250 pounds. So maybe two 125 pounders wouldn't like the fix either. I think you were just joking (at least I hope so) but, there are many people that would take that as justification for erroneous conclusions.

lazyboy97o

I don't ask for many favors, but, I would sure like to see that type of garbage statement stopped. It has nothing to do with anyone's weight, never has and still doesn't. Two people that weigh 125 pounds equals 250 pounds. So maybe two 125 pounders wouldn't like the fix either. I think you were just joking (at least I hope so) but, there are many people that would take that as justification for erroneous conclusions.
For a nothing reason it sure did cause quite the expense in California at "it's a small world".

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Some people lead their lives with blinders on.

I see a heavier, more obese America.

Goofyernmost

Some people lead their lives with blinders on.

I see a heavier, more obese America.
I assume that means that you do believe that it is overweight people that cause that problem. Sad, that it is so easy to blame things on a personal level. I have ridden, before I lost weight at 330 lbs., the boat did not bottom out, I was even in the front seat one time and although some water did come over the front, I left with very little of my disgustingly enormous body wet. Go back to the drawing board and find a new reason for the problem, that isn't it. Even the bottoming out anyplace other then load and unload seems to me to be mechanical since the boats even when full of "fat" people, do not displace enough water to touch bottom unless there is something there that is higher then it should be or the water level is lower then it should be.

davis_unoxx

We (my brood consisting of wife 135 lbs children 2 @ 60lbs and meself 190, 6'1" by the way) had our vessel of the current fleet lodged, jammed, run aground as it were just shy of the mermaids not long ago. In fairness to the situational facts I feel I must divulge that our tug was bow heavy.
As the poor gal listed starboard and struck bottom we were in a tight spot. Taking on water, a subtle panic ensued. The overall thoughts of our demise were quickly anesthetized by a quick and creative cast member who led us in a rousing and rhythmic chant of heave ho. That was accompanied by instructions to lurch forward and aft. This took a about 100,000 verses of Dead Men Tell No Tales. Thankfully all hands were accounted for and we continued on our journey.

Perhaps a new fleet of Boston Whalers will do the trick.
The unsinkable boat, that's sure what potc needs lol. I have a 15 foot whaler super sport from 1985, and sure is in better conditions than the Pirates fleet. We need to donate our whalers to Disney!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom