Major 2015 Pirates of the Caribbean Refurbishment Watch/Rumor.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I am no expert, but if the water is just shin high (approximately), I am not sure the boat would actually be able to capsize. Maybe list, take on water, until the amount of the water it takes on causes it to sink.

Agreed, you can look out on youtube for Potc ride stop evacs and see cast members wading in to push boats to the exit locations. like this one :

FOH Jim

....and less stable it seems

Do you know what made the boats at Maelstrom work without issue? They had to be much heavier and didn't have any issues (plus were better themed in my opinion too than the bland ones at pirates now)

The added weight of the boats is what makes then more stable. Having a heavy boat means that the weight of the passengers is a lower percentage of the total weight. What that gives you is less difference in boat behavior from empty to full. I don't have the facts about the two rides But I would guess that the water is deeper in the maelstrom, allowing boats with a larger draft i.e heaver. It sounds like the old POTC boats had issues with hanging up when over loaded, probably due to the heavier design. One would think the idea would then be to lighten the boats thus the draft, but when you do that, the difference between a heavily loaded boat and a lightly loaded boat can be drastically different. This can lead to listing side to side, as well as the attitude shift forward to aft. (Because the passengers are a higher percentage of the total weight, they make a bigger difference.) So slight difference in passenger weight and balance cause radical changes in how the boat strikes the water at the bottom the waterfall, and how it goes through the water.
If this is the issue, the fix is not an easy one. Heavier boats would probably fix the problem, but they sink into the water too far. so to make up for the increased weight you would have to make the boat physically larger to displace more water with the same draft, but the track is a fixed width so you cant go in that direction. the only direction to go is to make them longer, That is a problem because the corners are tight and longer boats would not make it around the corners, and the space between the boats on the loading platform would probably be an issue as well. The only other fix is to make the boats heavier, and load them less people, but then the ride capacity goes down.
The only for sure fix is to put wheels on the boat so the weight is born by the wheels instead of the water. but then it isn't a boat ride is it? it is an water filled omnimover (OK OK i know the difference, just making my point by being absurd) I would rather have to go in my swim suit than make it not a boat ride.

andysol

So we currently have "You must be this tall to ride"- how long until we get "you must be this thin to ride"? :D

UmFh8lv.png

Old Mouseketeer

Maybe I'm wrong but boats like these couldn't cost a massive amount could they?

I would like to see some boat similar to the old Maelstrom boats but made to look more like pirate ships. Speaking of which, those boats never had a problem including their own drop

My rebel spies report hearing that replacing Disneyland's Pirates boats with the same design currently in use would be $30k per boat. The Florida boats patterned after the Small World "Rubbermaid" boats are supposed to be in the $5-8k range. I thought I heard that the new Disneyland boats are around $10-15k.

Prog

The added weight of the boats is what makes then more stable. Having a heavy boat means that the weight of the passengers is a lower percentage of the total weight. What that gives you is less difference in boat behavior from empty to full. I don't have the facts about the two rides But I would guess that the water is deeper in the maelstrom, allowing boats with a larger draft i.e heaver. It sounds like the old POTC boats had issues with hanging up when over loaded, probably due to the heavier design. One would think the idea would then be to lighten the boats thus the draft, but when you do that, the difference between a heavily loaded boat and a lightly loaded boat can be drastically different. This can lead to listing side to side, as well as the attitude shift forward to aft. (Because the passengers are a higher percentage of the total weight, they make a bigger difference.) So slight difference in passenger weight and balance cause radical changes in how the boat strikes the water at the bottom the waterfall, and how it goes through the water.
If this is the issue, the fix is not an easy one. Heavier boats would probably fix the problem, but they sink into the water too far. so to make up for the increased weight you would have to make the boat physically larger to displace more water with the same draft, but the track is a fixed width so you cant go in that direction. the only direction to go is to make them longer, That is a problem because the corners are tight and longer boats would not make it around the corners, and the space between the boats on the loading platform would probably be an issue as well. The only other fix is to make the boats heavier, and load them less people, but then the ride capacity goes down.
The only for sure fix is to put wheels on the boat so the weight is born by the wheels instead of the water. but then it isn't a boat ride is it? it is an water filled omnimover (OK OK i know the difference, just making my point by being absurd) I would rather have to go in my swim suit than make it not a boat ride.
Didn't the former CM say that the old boats had wheels?

Djali999

Didn't the former CM say that the old boats had wheels?

On the left and right of the boats under the water at rows 2 and 5. The boats are free floating in the actual water however. And they must remain this way unless Disney wants to tear out all of the track, the drop, the lift hills, etc and basically rebuild the actual water trough with new technology.

Worth pointing out in this discussion is that while going down the drop, the boats aren't actually sitting in water. Water does flow down the hill from the upstairs show building to the downstairs one, but while they're actually riding the down ramp they're basically on a dry playground slide. It's when they hit the bottom of the drop that they re-enter a pool of water which is what slows them down and causes the splash.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
My rebel spies report hearing that replacing Disneyland's Pirates boats with the same design currently in use would be $30k per boat. The Florida boats patterned after the Small World "Rubbermaid" boats are supposed to be in the $5-8k range. I thought I heard that the new Disneyland boats are around $10-15k.

Wow ok who's with me on starting a theme park boat making business? lol

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
If it was supposed to get riders wet, why did the designers test out the drops while wearing business suits? Here's proof from Rollercoasters, Flumes, and Flying Saucers (a great read about Arrow Dynamics and focusing on DL's early development, if you haven't checked it out):
arrow_pirates.png

At the time that Pirates opened, Disneyland was still a place where guests wore their Sunday best. Sure, they could get a couple drops on them, but nobody was looking to get soaked. It wasn't until the amusement park building boom in the 1970's that rides designed to intentionally get riders wet (like log flumes) became commonplace.

Just wanted to say thank you for referencing the book on Arrow. Burned through it on the kindle yesterday and it was a delight.

Bocabear

Can you even imagine? though I will say, after seeing the new Pirates at Shanghai, all other versions are going to look pretty weak... and WDW could use the improvement most...though highly unlikely they would ever go back and reinvest in an attraction like that when they can't even replace the bad boats...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom