Major 2015 Pirates of the Caribbean Refurbishment Watch/Rumor.

French Quarter

Not sure if any of these are the same signs that are still there - and I may be mixing DL and WDW signs - but all three say you may get wet.

Sign outside Kali:
th

Sign outside Splash:
th

Sign outside Pirates:
th

Thank you for this. Been on Pirates a hundred times and never actually noticed this sign. My bad.

Last edited:

French Quarter

Who said it was designed to keep riders dry?
It's a boat full of passengers - many of which outweigh what the original design probably considered - plunging down a hill in the water, and their is a sign posted outside saying you may get wet.

Not arguing with your premise that we should know we might get wet. But I do think you are wrong about the boats being designed for lighter people. They are relatively new boats only 2 years old.

French Quarter

If it was supposed to get riders wet, why did the designers test out the drops while wearing business suits? Here's proof from Rollercoasters, Flumes, and Flying Saucers (a great read about Arrow Dynamics and focusing on DL's early development, if you haven't checked it out):
arrow_pirates.png

At the time that Pirates opened, Disneyland was still a place where guests wore their Sunday best. Sure, they could get a couple drops on them, but nobody was looking to get soaked. It wasn't until the amusement park building boom in the 1970's that rides designed to intentionally get riders wet (like log flumes) became commonplace.

Not really weighing in on what you said...just wanted to say that I think your book is rad!

HolleBolleGijs

FWIW, I rode twice last week, and I didn't notice any water in the boats.

The first time was literally the first ride of the day, so I can see why there might be less build up. The second was later in the evening, still no water. Maybe I just got lucky?

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
FWIW, I rode twice last week, and I didn't notice any water in the boats.

The first time was literally the first ride of the day, so I can see why there might be less build up. The second was later in the evening, still no water. Maybe I just got lucky?

Possibly..the boat I got in already had water sloshing in and around on the bottom around our feet before we even took off..then we took on more during our titanic voyage

Jones14

We can only hope that that will change. After Splash finally received it's major refurb a couple years back, things have been maintained pretty consistently. It still looks pretty good. Hopefully starting again from scratch will be what was needed.

Maintenance as a whole around the resort seems be getting significantly better as of late.

I could not agree more about Dinosaur. It's in terrible shape, possibly worse than Pirates was in.

I actually rode Dinosaur today, and it seems to be in better shape than I remembered it. The carnotaurus and the dinosaur you're trying to rescue both had what appears to be new lighting packages, audio of the carnotaurus chasing you after he walks beside your vehicle was loud and clear, and there were several lighting effects, including the lasers at the beginning and the end, that I've never noticed or remembered as being broken that had been fixed. Also, the vegetarian dino moved super smoothly, and I got off thinking the ride was much better than it has been in a while.

Prog

I actually rode Dinosaur today, and it seems to be in better shape than I remembered it. The carnotaurus and the dinosaur you're trying to rescue both had what appears to be new lighting packages, audio of the carnotaurus chasing you after he walks beside your vehicle was loud and clear, and there were several lighting effects, including the lasers at the beginning and the end, that I've never noticed or remembered as being broken that had been fixed. Also, the vegetarian dino moved super smoothly, and I got off thinking the ride was much better than it has been in a while.
Well that's good, because even I noticed how bad that ride got. And I couldn't even notice most of the issues in Pirates.

Cesar R M

Lol wow

Pirates is also indoors in the air conditioning not outdoors in the hot sun

Plus a small splash is even better than the boats almost capsizing at times and taking water in over the sides

Maybe they should post a sign that says "warning you may drown". It is a boat ride after all so we should just all get over it lol
like I said.. they probably want to recreate the full "Jack Sparrow Experience"..

They might even give us buckets to pull the water out next.. :hilarious:

It is a problem...and it is not operating the way it was designed to...that is just the fact of the matter.
Nice they have signs saying you may get wet... Maybe they should change the language on the signs if people are getting drenched...
but saying "get over it" is just adolescent and rude. It is a problem....whether it bothers you or not....
Hopefully they will figure out what it is and fix it...
anyway....
This!

Admiral01

Premium Member
Disappointed with parts of the refurb, and parts of the current operations.

When boarding, our boat was so packed full, that when we launched my side dipped down so much water spilled over the side of the boat. On launch. Not during the ride, or the drop - on the launch from the board area. I have never seen that before, and I have the soaked shoes and pants to prove it. There was over an inch of water in the bottom of the boat.

That was before we were even really moving, and before the drop drenched the first three rows and splashed up the back.

I think the most disappointing part was the ceiling vents throughout the ride aren't painted anymore. They are white. They stand out against the fake dark sky that is supposed to be overhead. Has anyone else noticed that?

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Disappointed with parts of the refurb, and parts of the current operations.

When boarding, our boat was so packed full, that when we launched my side dipped down so much water spilled over the side of the boat. On launch. Not during the ride, or the drop - on the launch from the board area. I have never seen that before, and I have the soaked shoes and pants to prove it. There was over an inch of water in the bottom of the boat.

That was before we were even really moving, and before the drop drenched the first three rows and splashed up the back.

I think the most disappointing part was the ceiling vents throughout the ride aren't painted anymore. They are white. They stand out against the fake dark sky that is supposed to be overhead. Has anyone else noticed that?

Wow that's even worse

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom