Major 2015 Pirates of the Caribbean Refurbishment Watch/Rumor.

lazyboy97o

Anyone who goes on a ride that is on the water had better consider that the possibility of getting wet exists.
As for phones or cameras getting wet - that's your own risk as well.
Plus, you're in Florida where the possibility of getting rained on exists very often.
I don't get it.
The ride system was specifically designed to not soak guests and operated as such for decades.

Cesar R M

Anyone who goes on a ride that is on the water had better consider that the possibility of getting wet exists.
As for phones or cameras getting wet - that's your own risk as well.
Plus, you're in Florida where the possibility of getting rained on exists very often.
I don't get it.
rrreaaaally???
willy-wonka-wilder.jpg

I dont think the ride of pirates mentioned about getting wet as water based rides.
should we get soaked as well if we go to Ariel's ride too?

As for rain.. its expected on certain dates. not always, and when its expected, people can come prepared with umbrellas or ponchos.
Plus there is a difference in something not expected (a ride where you are not supposed to get soaked) vs a park during rain days.
rain can be avoided by going inside buildings or rides or using umbrellas. you cant magically run away during a ride.

Now you know.
I'm sorry, but I have little sympathy for this issue and don't consider it an issue at all.
When I'm on a boat full of people that plummets down an incline, I expect that I may get wet when it hits the bottom.
I expect that I may get wet when it hits the sides too.
Plus, I'm in Florida, where it's usually hot and often rains.
Get over it.

and now you're sounding really arrogant..
tone down your disney pixie dust defence mechanisms.

Incomudro

rrreaaaally???
View attachment 115095
I dont think the ride of pirates mentioned about getting wet as water based rides.
should we get soaked as well if we go to Ariel's ride too?

As for rain.. its expected on certain dates. not always, and when its expected, people can come prepared with umbrellas or ponchos.
Plus there is a difference in something not expected (a ride where you are not supposed to get soaked) vs a park during rain days.
rain can be avoided by going inside buildings or rides or using umbrellas. you cant magically run away during a ride.

and now you're sounding really arrogant..
tone down your disney pixie dust defence mechanisms.

Incomudro

It's not a pixie dust defense mechanism - it's realism.
You are on a boat, that really floats (albeit within a guide) on real water.
Really plunges down a hill loaded with passengers.
If anything is arrogant, it's the belief that one should be expected to stay comfortably dry.
And, yes - read the signs - "You may get wet."

lazyboy97o

If anything is arrogant, it's the belief that one should be expected to stay comfortably dry.
How is expecting something to operate as designed arrogance?

Bairstow

So how do you reconcile the fact that until the last three years, the ride did not get people wet to their underwear?
Was it malfunctioning for 40 years and now is suddenly "fixed"?

Incomudro

How is expecting something to operate as designed arrogance?

Who said it was designed to keep riders dry?
It's a boat full of passengers - many of which outweigh what the original design probably considered - plunging down a hill in the water, and their is a sign posted outside saying you may get wet.

Incomudro

So how do you reconcile the fact that until the last three years, the ride did not get people wet to their underwear?
Was it malfunctioning for 40 years and now is suddenly "fixed"?
I've been on the ride several times since the last three years and did not get wet to any point that I would have noticed any difference. Were I not on these boards, I would noticed anything was different in regarding how much water the boats had taken on.

Sped2424

Original Poster
It's a boat full of passengers - many of which outweigh what the original design probably considered - plunging down a hill in the water, and their is a sign posted outside saying you may get wet.
Why defend this? This is a new feature in a ride that 1. No one asked for. 2. Isn't happening intentionally but is due to poor design of a new ride vehicle. 3. Is happening in a ride that was never meant to be a soaked journey through the caribbean, if for the last however many years you rode the ride and didn't get soaked there should be no reason that now when riding it you do.

lazyboy97o

Walt Disney. The efforts of WED Enterprises and Arrow Dynamics to keep passengers dry is not some secret.

Bairstow

I've been on the ride several times since the last three years and did not get wet to any point that I would have noticed any difference. Were I not on these boards, I would noticed anything was different in regarding how much water the boats had taken on.

That wasn't what I asked you.
At any rate, the ride does not always soak people's underwear. If seems to depend on the boat used, the number of people riding, and how balanced it is. I rode this past Wednesday night, sat in row 4 (by request) and did not get wet at all.
Conversely, last year I was badly splashed on my hip and shorts, and have seen 3 cast members tending to the boats at unload, holding boats for a few extra seconds every cycle to use lobby bins to scoop and bail out as much water as possible before sending them up the ramp.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Now you know.
I'm sorry, but I have little sympathy for this issue and don't consider it an issue at all.
When I'm on a boat full of people that plummets down an incline, I expect that I may get wet when it hits the bottom.
I expect that I may get wet when it hits the sides too.
Plus, I'm in Florida, where it's usually hot and often rains.
Get over it.

Lol wow

Pirates is also indoors in the air conditioning not outdoors in the hot sun

Plus a small splash is even better than the boats almost capsizing at times and taking water in over the sides

Maybe they should post a sign that says "warning you may drown". It is a boat ride after all so we should just all get over it lol

FerretAfros

If it was supposed to get riders wet, why did the designers test out the drops while wearing business suits? Here's proof from Rollercoasters, Flumes, and Flying Saucers (a great read about Arrow Dynamics and focusing on DL's early development, if you haven't checked it out):
arrow_pirates.png

At the time that Pirates opened, Disneyland was still a place where guests wore their Sunday best. Sure, they could get a couple drops on them, but nobody was looking to get soaked. It wasn't until the amusement park building boom in the 1970's that rides designed to intentionally get riders wet (like log flumes) became commonplace.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
If it was supposed to get riders wet, why did the designers test out the drops while wearing business suits? Here's proof from Rollercoasters, Flumes, and Flying Saucers (a great read about Arrow Dynamics and focusing on DL's early development, if you haven't checked it out):
arrow_pirates.png

At the time that Pirates opened, Disneyland was still a place where guests wore their Sunday best. Sure, they could get a couple drops on them, but nobody was looking to get soaked. It wasn't until the amusement park building boom in the 1970's that rides designed to intentionally get riders wet (like log flumes) became commonplace.

That is photo-shopped! They were really wearing swimsuits. :p

ght

Well, DL's much larger drop does not have the same issue that the WDW one does. Unless people are that much thinner in California (trust me, they are not) it is more than just heavier passengers than when the ride was designed. Getting wet wouldn't be an issue if it was always this way, but it wasn't. This didn't start happening until they started using the new boats. It seems like solution is pretty simple, considering there are boats across the country that don't result in the same level of splashing, despite the ride having double the number of drops.

Last edited:

Bocabear

It is a problem...and it is not operating the way it was designed to...that is just the fact of the matter.
Nice they have signs saying you may get wet... Maybe they should change the language on the signs if people are getting drenched...
but saying "get over it" is just adolescent and rude. It is a problem....whether it bothers you or not....
Hopefully they will figure out what it is and fix it...
anyway....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom