Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

flyerjab

These are some random photos from yesterday.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Simply put, in my personal opinion, I think that the hub is incredible. The new outer ring does exactly what it is supposed to, and I can now say that from experience. It is nice that the temp booths are gone and replaced with trees.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Sunday, Oct 11. As shown in photos and discussion above, the walkways around the hub are all open now. Most of the landscaping inside the fences is complete, with some plants still in plastic pots waiting to be planted later this week. The two turrets with the "control booths" on the upper level are open now, with some light fixtures remaining to be installed. There is a water fountain on the ground level and a door leading to the upper control booth. One booth was manned for the castle stage show today. All that appears remaining to be finished are the castle ramps on either side of the stage.

IMG_6649.JPG

Both permanent kiosks on either side of the hub are open now, below photo is the one on the left side. Some landscaping still in plastic pots.

IMG_6647.JPG

wogwog

How far along are the ramps? Are we thinking just another couple of weeks for completion?
At Disney about another week from what I can see. Anywhere else a day or two. Not picking on Disney contractor ability just the reality of the location and difficulty of working around the crowds. More concrete work like street and walkway near the castle is on the plan for over nights this week but none so far planned for next week so that is a good sign for progress.

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
These are some random photos from yesterday.

View attachment 114153

View attachment 114154

View attachment 114155

View attachment 114156

Simply put, in my personal opinion, I think that the hub is incredible. The new outer ring does exactly what it is supposed to, and I can now say that from experience. It is nice that the temp booths are gone and replaced with trees.
The hub is something I'm quite excited about. I'd like to be able to stroll around the area without being in a zombie swarm so I'm hoping this and the backstage alternate route alleviate some of the crowds.

flyerjab

The hub is something I'm quite excited about. I'd like to be able to stroll around the area without being in a zombie swarm so I'm hoping this and the backstage alternate route alleviate some of the crowds.

I can tell you from first hand experience that the outer ring is very effective. We were at the Halloween Party on Friday night and there were a ton of people in the hub for the Hocus Pocus show, castle projection and fireworks (which were excellent!). We navigated from Tomorrowland into the Hub for the shows, and the outer ring was not crowded, whereas the hub was packed. Once all of the new plantings have time to really germinate for a few years, this hub will be beautiful. It is tough for me to really capture it in pictures, but when you are there, taking it all in, you really see how they did a great job. When I first went in 2009, the hub really did feel like a hot concrete box. It just doesn't feel that way anymore. The gardens with the fountains help with that, and there are definitely trees there now. Especially since they removed the temporary green towers that were used for the castle show and replaced them with more trees it is really nice. The center is still open, but I see why they have it designed that way. When you traverse the outer ring areas, it is beautiful.

Last edited:

mikenatcity1

I still think it looks absurdly bare.
Disneyland also has fireworks and projections on their (much smaller and harder to see) castle, and still their hub looks like a park.

DSC_8512-as-Smart-Object-1-copy.jpg

While I LOVE Disneyland, their hub doesn't work for crowds at all. If you try to move around near time for fireworks or parade, you could get stuck. It's very difficult to move around (plus, their Emporium does not go all the way from hub to Town Square) In addition, if you're on the other side of the hub (a little further back from where this picture was taken) you can't really see the castle (since the castle isn't raises and the trees appear to be hear the height of the castle). I appreciate what MK's hub is doing. I'm very excited to see it next year!

andysol

Both permanent kiosks on either side of the hub are open now, below photo is the one on the left side. Some landscaping still in plastic pots.

View attachment 114178

Thanks as always @WDWtraveler

Am I the only one who is really digging these Kiosks? They have a really detailed look and yet still dont stick out like sore thumbs. Beats a push cart and umbrella any day.

ToTBellHop

While I LOVE Disneyland, their hub doesn't work for crowds at all. If you try to move around near time for fireworks or parade, you could get stuck. It's very difficult to move around (plus, their Emporium does not go all the way from hub to Town Square) In addition, if you're on the other side of the hub (a little further back from where this picture was taken) you can't really see the castle (since the castle isn't raises and the trees appear to be hear the height of the castle). I appreciate what MK's hub is doing. I'm very excited to see it next year!
Yes, and DL's hub has apparently been a MESS since they rolled out the new Disneyland Forever fireworks. They may be next to get a new hub to go with their hideous bypass.

Their hub does look beautiful in your picture though. With an empty park. It looks somewhat different during park hours. And wait till you see our hub with the spring blossoms next year.

note2001

Thanks as always @WDWtraveler

Am I the only one who is really digging these Kiosks? They have a really detailed look and yet still dont stick out like sore thumbs. Beats a push cart and umbrella any day.
I love them too. I can see most of my hub area pictures in the future being taken near these simply due to the landscaping.

They were also built exceptionally well with the utility room in behind (which probably has more of a function than to just serve electric and water to the kiosk than we will ever know.) These could be reconfigured to be anything from a quick serve kiosk to a shop to a DVC location (can never have enough) to being a sponsor's location: "The Magic Kingdom Hub, brought to you by Citibank" :D (((ducks)))

Last edited:

JediMasterMatt

Yes, and DL's hub has apparently been a MESS since they rolled out the new Disneyland Forever fireworks. They may be next to get a new hub to go with their hideous bypass.

Their hub does look beautiful in your picture though. With an empty park. It looks somewhat different during park hours. And wait till you see our hub with the spring blossoms next year.

Actually, Disneyland's Hub has been working much better with crowd control since this summer than it has in many years. Paint the Night has forced them into keeping the east side of the street around the Hub open, so they have been using the "alternate low attendance" crowd control plan for fireworks since Forever came online. The allow guest to sit all the way to the front of the forecourt at the ropes so the entire northern side of the Hub is fireworks viewing. This leaves the east/west path through the middle of the Hub open for cross walks, so as long as there is not a parade, then it's a straight shot from Frontierland>Tomorrowland. Cast Members are pleasantly surprised on how well it's been working. I know that getting around the park at night this summer on my trip was much easier than it ever has been. Also, Disneyland's bypass is not hideous. It's a pathway that is lined with attraction posters with a few planters and overhead trellis work that allows no viewing angles into truly hideous backstage areas. Their bypass works much better from a Show perspective than Orlando's which allows many un-Disney sights and smells to be had. My last trips through Orlando's bypass in June and January still had dumpsters on offer.

In Anaheim, not every person in the resort stands in the Hub to watch a Nightime Spectacular. With Forever, they've actually helped move even more people out of the Hub and scatter them around the park by having projections on the Rivers of America, Main Street USA, the Matterhorn, and it's a small world.

In Orlando, a huge percentage of the entire Resort flocks into the Hub each night to stare into the sky like it's manifest destiny. What Orlando needs are more compelling reasons NOT to be in the Hub each night and not more bulldozers and concrete. But, the Golden Goose needs to keep laying it's Orlando egg. It's far cheaper to do earth moving than offer creative reasons to be elsewhere. Someone get back to me when they begin to offer fireworks viewing on top of Main Street's buildings.

ToTBellHop

Actually, Disneyland's Hub has been working much better with crowd control since this summer than it has in many years. Paint the Night has forced them into keeping the east side of the street around the Hub open, so they have been using the "alternate low attendance" crowd control plan for fireworks since Forever came online. The allow guest to sit all the way to the front of the forecourt at the ropes so the entire northern side of the Hub is fireworks viewing. This leaves the east/west path through the middle of the Hub open for cross walks, so as long as there is not a parade, then it's a straight shot from Frontierland>Tomorrowland. Cast Members are pleasantly surprised on how well it's been working. I know that getting around the park at night this summer on my trip was much easier than it ever has been. Also, Disneyland's bypass is not hideous. It's a pathway that is lined with attraction posters with a few planters and overhead trellis work that allows no viewing angles into truly hideous backstage areas. Their bypass works much better from a Show perspective than Orlando's which allows many un-Disney sights and smells to be had. My last trips through Orlando's bypass in June and January still had dumpsters on offer.

In Anaheim, not every person in the resort stands in the Hub to watch a Nightime Spectacular. With Forever, they've actually helped move even more people out of the Hub and scatter them around the park by having projections on the Rivers of America, Main Street USA, the Matterhorn, and it's a small world.

In Orlando, a huge percentage of the entire Resort flocks into the Hub each night to stare into the sky like it's manifest destiny. What Orlando needs are more compelling reasons NOT to be in the Hub each night and not more bulldozers and concrete. But, the Golden Goose needs to keep laying it's Orlando egg. It's far cheaper to do earth moving than offer creative reasons to be elsewhere. Someone get back to me when they begin to offer fireworks viewing on top of Main Street's buildings.
Thanks for your insight. I had seen complaints on Facebook about the crowds but admittedly not actually been to DL this year.

Disney's Main Street Chim-Chim Cheree Dessert Party could easily net $139 per guest excited to "Step in Line" to "Let's Go Have a Bite" of some "supercaloriefragelistic" desserts. Disney Parks Blog has my permission to use this wording.

Jon81uk

creative reasons to be elsewhere.

To be fair they are doing that by building Rivers of Light at Animal Kingdom, hopefully by DAK being open later less people will hop to MK.

But yes overall I get your point, Disneyland can't project on Sleeping Beauty Castle well as it is too small so they found other solutions which also spread people out. MK doesn't quite have as many options to project onto and spread people out?

jkpmac

My family and I had the pleasure of being at Disneyland this July. I can tell you right now that getting past parades and by the fireworks was a nightmare. They had staff keeping a path open for people exiting the park, but it was a narrow crowded squeeze and I had to keep an iron grip on my son do avoid getting seperated. They did have a backstage path open eventually that made it easier but until you reached the start, it was a nightmare. Getting across the park was also hard during a parade, and the crowd of picture takers in the one path we did find really made it hard. I am looking forward to seeing the hub the next time we go to the Magic Kingdom to see how it handles the crowds. The last time we were there the Hub was like a can of Sardines.

JediMasterMatt

MK doesn't quite have as many options to project onto and spread people out?

dragon1.jpg

No, there are plenty of ways to spread the crowds out if they wanted. The flying dragon over New Fantasyland is possible. Projection mapping could be done all over the park as well (Space Mountain, Tomorrowland, Main Street, Rivers of America could get mist screens).

Much could be done to move the focus around the Magic Kingdom and away from the Hub.

Ultimately, the best way to fix the MK, and thereby the health of WDW, is to keep guests away from it every night.

While Rivers of Light will help a bit... it will only make a huge impact if the hours of AK are adjusted enough to keep guests out of the MK after it finishes. As long as you can get many more hours each night at MK than the other parks, the balance will always be off.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Much could be done to move the focus around the Magic Kingdom and away from the Hub.
At the end of the day though the majority of guests want to see fireworks above the castle. Like they've seen on TV and in magazines.

But what's been done now should go some way to removing sights like this:

image.png

Albeit the FP+ areas should be open to first come first served if they're serious about tackling capacity issues. Having a few dozen people total in the controlled area defeats the object somewhat.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom