Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

MatthewWho13

Do we know where the new permanent stage lighting positions are? Is it retractable like the old lights were from the new booths? Or is it somehow built into the new castle turrets?

There's two side lighting towers the raise and lowere next to the ramps up.

Each of the new covered castle towers with the canopies each have another lighting rig that comes up and out for front washes and a follow spot that comes up and out as well on each side.

JediMasterMatt

At the end of the day though the majority of guests want to see fireworks above the castle. Like they've seen on TV and in magazines.
Albeit the FP+ areas should be open to first come first served if they're serious about tackling capacity issues. Having a few dozen people total in the controlled area defeats the object somewhat.

While I do agree that the majority of guests want to be in front of the Castle; but, unfortunately not everyone gets what they want at WDW. Hence things like FastPass+ was born. Everyone wants to ride Space Mountain now; but, when FP+ gives you an option to come back and ride in 4 hours and there are return times available for Stitch in 10 minutes, the House of the Mouse is betting that PT Barnum was right and a few suckers will take the bait-and-switch.

Same concept goes for Disneyland Forever!. Make reasons for not being in the Hub available to guests. Put a few projection mapped locations around the Magic Kingdom and some mist screens on the river and you can offer alternatives and with FP+ - make some holding pens to stick some people in those spots.

You can never expect to make everyone not want to be in the Hub; but, you may get a percentage of them to settle for less. Which is exactly what WDW has been conditioning guest to settle with for the last decade+.

Me... I'm a patient type that when I want to get fireworks over the Castle (especially for photography purposes)... I wait.

I do agree 100% that the Hub's fireworks holding pens are pointless and need to be opened up. Far too much was given up to gain the few people that occupy the newly created space they've made.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Looks like all the Christmas lighting is up on the castle as well! Anyone know if they plan on extending the icicle lighting on the castles onto the turrets as well?

DisneyDrum

There's two side lighting towers the raise and lowere next to the ramps up.

Each of the new covered castle towers with the canopies each have another lighting rig that comes up and out for front washes and a follow spot that comes up and out as well on each side.

Someone really needs to get pictures of these in use! I've been waiting to see how the setup for the towers works-they look amazingly good for holding that much hardware.

nelsonj3

the new towers definitively look fantastic.

are you using a GH4 panasonic camera?
I'm actually using an iPhone 6S. It does a pretty good job! I have been very impressed with the 4K and overall image quality on this new phone. It doesn't do as well as I'd like in low light, but that's pretty typical for phone cameras. One of these days, I want to get a 4K camcorder that is really good in low light. However, the iPhone 6S is great for now.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Someone really needs to get pictures of these in use! I've been waiting to see how the setup for the towers works-they look amazingly good for holding that much hardware.
You'd be surprised how much the old booths held. Hydraulic tower with a lighting grid ran along the whole southern sides. A zip platform with follow spot along the outer wall. With both being anchored at ground level but accessed from the upper level. And between all that was the upper level technical control area.

I did see the new stage front platforms being tested. They're where the old double lift units used to be but down by the moat. Concrete base with a zip platform to lift a horizontal base upwards.

meyeet

OTPN posted some updated pictures of the castle ramps http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2015/10/magic-kingdom-update-castle-ramps.html

LD2D0t5.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom