Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Donaldfan1934

Hmm. I see the smaller shrubby "trees" that had been planted in each of the flower beds in the center of the hub have disappeared. Note the green box in the lower left corner in @Clamman73's panorama.

These have been removed:
Main-Street-USA_Full_23594.jpg

Main-Street-USA_Full_23591.jpg
Could it be? Trees!?!?

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
According to a friend who works at MK, they were testing the Christmas lights on the castles when she got to work early this morning. They aren't all done but I guess they were just making sure they were working! I'd expect to see the crane a bit more.

MissM

Adjacent to the Hub discussion, I would just comment that that "backstage" bypass exit looks freakin' amazing. It really looks like it's part of the park and not backstage at all anymore. There are walls up so you don't see anything, railings and plants and they even decorated it with the same Halloween lights as Main Street. Excuse the poor quality pic but this was from the bypass Saturday night:

backstage-exit-oct15.jpg

I hadn't been through that way in a few months and was really surprised at how finished it looked. Really, it does not look backstage at all any more.

Goofyernmost

Adjacent to the Hub discussion, I would just comment that that "backstage" bypass exit looks freakin' amazing. It really looks like it's part of the park and not backstage at all anymore. There are walls up so you don't see anything, railings and plants and they even decorated it with the same Halloween lights as Main Street. Excuse the poor quality pic but this was from the bypass Saturday night:

backstage-exit-oct15.jpg

I hadn't been through that way in a few months and was really surprised at how finished it looked. Really, it does not look backstage at all any more.
OMG, does that mean that all the wailing and gnashing of teeth was for nothing. Imagine that! I guess they were right though, no sense waiting until it's done to start the hate.

MissM

Does anybody have a before and after of the bypass? I've only used it once last year and don't really remember what it looked like.
Used to be like this:

mk-back-nov14a.jpg

(original post: http://www.thefloridaproject.com/blog/2014/12/02/main-street-exit-bypass-update/ )

Now it looks like this. (Click quoted link for multiple pics)

halltd

I miss the old bypass. I remember back in the day walking through here with my family every year and thinking how amazingly cool it was to be able to walk backstage. I wish they'd stop changing everything on us. It's killing the nostalgia of the park.

JUST KIDDING! The bypass looks really nice. I hope there's a bit more to it, but it's still lightyears ahead of where it started.

Cesar R M

I miss the old bypass. I remember back in the day walking through here with my family every year and thinking how amazingly cool it was to be able to walk backstage. I wish they'd stop changing everything on us. It's killing the nostalgia of the park.

JUST KIDDING! The bypass looks really nice. I hope there's a bit more to it, but it's still lightyears ahead of where it started.
wangfire.png

I fell for it...

DGracey

Everything is looking great and the landscaping is beautiful.

However - two points. The fact they planted small trees in the main center planters, only to rip them out again for sight lines to the castle show is pretty crazy. The center planters that surround the Partners statue look too flat now without anything of "height" in them. They got it right the first go round - and now here we are witnessing anything of height get ripped out again.

Second, the fact we are now 19 months into this thing and it is still not "complete" is pretty incredible for what is basically expanded sidewalks and gardens. Yes they only work at night, for a limited period, in the busiest park. But 19 months!

It's quite beautiful though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom