Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Craigl

Photo update as of Friday, March 6. A larger photo of the Partner's statue, which appeared today when the construction walls were removed.

View attachment 85763

Landscaping is largely completed in the two areas behind low construction walls in the hub. Below is a photo of the landscaping. Note the lighting fixtures are a different shape, with no speakers on the poles.

View attachment 85767
Crane and large scrim on main st to be removedved in the next week or so and the park will be somewhat back to normal for the first time in six years. Remaining hub construction will fire back up after Easter and be completed round Memorial Day. For all you spring breakers heading to the mouse house congratulations, the construction messes are all gone for a little while. Enjoy.

Last edited:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
The issues you brought up are certainly valid, but they don't interact with the differences and positives that I was talking about. Disneyland has a real cultural and historical touchstone aspect to it and that makes it special. The fact that it is the "first" and sparked a whole line of artistic and operationally functional parks elevates the Disneyland experience far beyond that of any other theme park.

Yes, some rides are better in WDW. Yes, some rides and upkeep is worse in Disneyland. But none of that is speaking to the significance of what it is to experience Disneyland with history and culture in mind.
I absolutely agree with you about the historical perspective. It's just that there are some people here that seem to think that DL is perfect and can never do any wrong, and that WDW is a trash heap that shouldn't even be considered in the same breath. They are wrong, but will never admit it because the blinders are in place, and they will not change their minds.

Goofnut1980

While I like the new viewing areas....I'm not liking that guests plop their pudge down, lay around on the fake grass and take off their shoes like it's their friggin home as these photo's show....:hungover:
DSC9895.jpg
DSC9929.jpg

How disgusting! Seriously get a room. You don't need to lay down like it's your backyard! lol

erclvrb18

Photo update as of Friday, March 6. A larger photo of the Partner's statue, which appeared today when the construction walls were removed.

View attachment 85763

Landscaping is largely completed in the two areas behind low construction walls in the hub. Below is a photo of the landscaping. Note the lighting fixtures are a different shape, with no speakers on the poles.

View attachment 85767
I absolutely LOVE the non speaker lamps... there beautiful and creative

tirian

If I had to list my complaints with the WDW (and particularly the MK) experience in recent years, among the highest would be how much they have recently lost the sense of slowness and relaxation usually associated with vacations.

In the era of months-in-advance TSR reservations and people rushing from FP+ to FP+, it's hard to believe the Magic Kingdom was once the epicenter of what Disney called the "Vacation Kingdom of the World." I wonder how many people truly come home from a WDW trip and feel refreshed and rejuvenated, as they should.

If people want to take their shoes off and relax, good for them. I'm glad people are finding ways to find a moment of solace and relaxation on their Magic Kingdom days, and I'm glad Disney is providing them the opportunity.

For the first in a long time, maybe the park will truly start feeling like a "park" again. :)

THAT's the biggest thing and the place where DL excels. With its FP+ reservations and DDP times, WDW feels more rushed and stressful than ever before. DL has a much more relaxed atmosphere. Maybe it's the California mentality or the fact that nothing needs to be booked two to six months in advance.

Bolt

Crane and large scrim on main st to be removedved in the next week or so and the park will be somewhat back to normal for the first time in six years. Remaining hub construction will fire back up after Easter and be completed round Memorial Day. For all you spring breakers heading to the mouse house congratulations, the construction messes are all gone for a little while. Enjoy.
This is not all true. Prepare for the next part to start this week of the hub.

BoarderPhreak

I'm far from a germaphobe, but I will not be lying down on the 'turf anymore than I would Main St. or the sidewalks like some of those pictured. Sit? Probably.

People are funny. They'll sit and lay down on the "grass" just like a cat will sit on a piece of paper or magazine in the middle of the floor. Also known as a cat trap. :D

xhow-to-trap-your-cat.jpg.pagespeed.ic.F47pKQDfor.jpg

Goofyernmost

I'm far from a germaphobe, but I will not be lying down on the 'turf anymore than I would Main St. or the sidewalks like some of those pictured. Sit? Probably.

People are funny. They'll sit and lay down on the "grass" just like a cat will sit on a piece of paper or magazine in the middle of the floor. Also known as a cat trap. :D

xhow-to-trap-your-cat.jpg.pagespeed.ic.F47pKQDfor.jpg
For people it might be a disgusting habit picked up back before anyone invented furniture or underwear. Just a hard-wire reaction to a simpler time. Neanderthals all of them.

erclvrb18

For people it might be a disgusting habit picked up back before anyone invented furniture or underwear. Just a hard-wire reaction to a simpler time. Neanderthals all of them.
I see nothing wrong with them relaxing shoes or no shoes in the grass... it adds the real feel of the hub...
gives it a feeling as if it were some park in a town somewhere... i like it..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom