Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

NormC

Remember when we used to all sit on the dirt... and not worry about what was on the dirt before?
Remember playing Matchbox cars or marbles in the dirt and tossing the cat droppings out of the way to continue the road construction etc.? We all survived. I believe the Purel generation is actually sicker and has more allergies than those of us that actually played outside and got dirty.

rct247

Those of you worried about the cleaning and germs and other similar complaints... you realize the same sort of stuff happens in the bathrooms, the rides, the restaurants, etc. Yes, there are rules in the park that guests must were shoes (and shirts for that matter). There are procedures to clean it if someone throws up or if someone bleeds on it. Drinks will be spilled, people will spit, crumbs will be dropped, and birds will poop on it. Some of it will be rinsed off, some will be swept off, some will go unnoticed until people report it. It's part of being in an outdoor space seeing thousands of guests each day.

You realize you've probably sat in a ride vehicle that a guest spilled body fluids of some kind and while it was cleaned and disinfected as best as possible, there is the chance that not every crevice could be reached. Then there are the germs from people all over the world on handrails and lap bars and door knobs. How many of you have tried on a character hat for a fun photo? You realize that someone with lice could have done the same thing. Disney can't entirely stop it. I've seen parents let their kids pee in planters and on walls. I've seen parents change baby diapers almost everywhere. The number of people who don't wash their hands after the bathroom might alarm you. In fact, when it gets cold outside, I have heard parents tell their kids not to wash their hands!!

So, I'm not sure what all the griping is about with the astro truf. It is everywhere. It can't really be controlled and monitored on every level. So all you can do it do your part on being clean. Otherwise, just come to expect that it's going to happen. To be honest, I'm more ed if I see a parent let their kid pee in a planter vs someone taking their shoes off to relax and enjoy the beautiful day.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I get people may be 'surprised' by the notion that grass may now be dirty and need to be cleaned... even more so than normal ground because the material can't rub away, go into the ground, etc. It now becomes just like the sidewalk you've always known... it's cleaned, swept, etc. But how many of you have refused to sit on the curb on main street going 'eww... whats been here before??'

You all walk on a pool deck, on carpet, etc.

So I get it's twisted... grass that must be cleaned? But it just becomes like every other artificial public service we interact with.

note2001

I get people may be 'surprised' by the notion that grass may now be dirty and need to be cleaned... even more so than normal ground because the material can't rub away, go into the ground, etc. It now becomes just like the sidewalk you've always known... it's cleaned, swept, etc. But how many of you have refused to sit on the curb on main street going 'eww... whats been here before??'

You all walk on a pool deck, on carpet, etc.

So I get it's twisted... grass that must be cleaned? But it just becomes like every other artificial public service we interact with.

Exactly. It's not a new concept, my parents had artificial grass on their porch since the 70s. You vacuum it and occasionally hose it down. It's far nicer to sit on than the splinters of the wood, or in this case, pavement. And the bug factor should be fairly low too. Doubt we'll see any ant hills.

Sage of Time

I have to agree with Goofyernmost. We went to DL in 2012 just before the opening of Cars Land. On our trip we saw all of the same issues that y'all complain about with WDW. Stuff needed painting, lights were burnt out, etc. It didn't change our perspective on anything Disney at all. Is it a wonderful place? Yes. Is it better than WDW? No. Some attractions there are better than the WDW version, some at WDW are better than the DL version. You people that go to DL really need to wipe the pixie dust from your eyes and really look at it, like you do at WDW. Seems when you go to DL the blinders are on.
The issues you brought up are certainly valid, but they don't interact with the differences and positives that I was talking about. Disneyland has a real cultural and historical touchstone aspect to it and that makes it special. The fact that it is the "first" and sparked a whole line of artistic and operationally functional parks elevates the Disneyland experience far beyond that of any other theme park.

Yes, some rides are better in WDW. Yes, some rides and upkeep is worse in Disneyland. But none of that is speaking to the significance of what it is to experience Disneyland with history and culture in mind.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Friday, March 6. A larger photo of the Partner's statue, which appeared today when the construction walls were removed.

IMG_4950.JPG

Landscaping is largely completed in the two areas behind low construction walls in the hub. Below is a photo of the landscaping. Note the lighting fixtures are a different shape, with no speakers on the poles.

IMG_4951.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom