Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

yeti

I was thinking the same, at least on one side, so Tink can still do her scene.
They could hide most equipment with faux wood-ads of the main street timeline. and even add a FP+ dinner+fireworks set up on the top of one.

Bingo. Tink lands in tomorrowland anyway so that shouldn't be a problem. I would even ask they pour some concrete and build something more permanent.

yeti

@unkadug These were the photos from this weekend with folks sitting on the grass.
image-jpg.54678

It's like DLP out there! :D

Rob562

Did they ever consider constructing a viewing terrace on the rooftops of Main Street? This is getting out of hand.

Might be a little bright up there with the Castle projectors, but give everyone sunglasses and I'm sure they'll be fine...

-Rob

Rob562

Not to mention that people with proper upbringing don't sit on the ground in public, especially ladies.

And it's not just that sitting on the ground is improper and lower-class, but any human body over the age of 23 looks very unattractive when plopped on the ground. Especially women, who instantly gain 25 pounds and several extra lumps and bumps when they try and sit on the ground. See the photos attached to this thread for evidence of that.

There are certainly social situations that warrant sitting on the ground, and someone who has good posture can do it correctly in the right situation. But in public spaces like malls, airports, or city streets it never looks good. Never. Homeless people sit on the ground, but most normal people should be on a bench or at a patio table at a café or business. Especially people over the age of about 22 or 23. The body changes, and it never looks good plopped on the ground with tummies and thighs and legs askew.

Disney theme parks need more benches for adults, not less. When you've got people sitting on the ground in desperation like the photos earlier in this thread, something is very wrong.

How *dare* low-class people sit on the grass in a Disney park...

gty_disney_castle_kb_130717_blog.jpg

-Rob

Tip Top Club

The Back third of that has a fence up as of Yesterday. It's brown and doesn't match the green fences of Main Street, but it looks fine. Let's hope the other three sections get fences within the next few days and they start replacing that dying grass with flowers and shrubs.

Rob562

Next people will be sticking their nude diapered babies into the fountains!

Ah yes, I remember that fountain as it used to be... Unfortunately too many people were doing exactly what Joe and his kid/grandkid are doing in the photo, and the fountain wasn't designed for it. Thus, they went and killed the fountain by adding all the planters on top.

-Rob

mm52200

Hopefully this redevelopment brings just more green areas and trees to this area of the park. Honestly, Fantasyland now looks beautiful with the number of trees it has now and new sitting areas between the Tangled area, Village Haus, the castle wall, Belle's village, and Storybook Circus has a lot of seating. Main Street USA just desperately needs more benches. I remember reading when DCA had it's grand re-opening that following summer the VP of DCA Mary Nivens, said there needed to be more benches throughout the park because there were more people and there weren't enough places for them to sit...too bad no one in TDO has that mindset. Instead here it's "there are so many more people, we need to get rid of places for them to sit(benches, the Bakery, etc)"

MarkTwain

I'm surprised by the replacement of the First Aid planters with grass. Not because of the reduction in quality (that stopped being surprising a long time ago) but by the fact Disney apparently saw this coming elsewhere. If Disney plans on using a realistic form of astro-turf for the FP+ areas by Main Street, I wonder why they didn't reapply that idea here. Were they not expecting crowds to watch the fireworks from the grass, or is this a case of one internal department not taking the ideas of another?

I could *almost* get onboard with the grass replacement for fireworks viewing if they were to use something that didn't look so bad. But they need to go either all the way one way or the other; either use planters that will look great permanently and keep people out, or use astro-turf for fireworks viewing that looks at least okay the rest of the time. Using real grass that dies out from crowds isn't a good compromise.

Rob562

The Back third of that has a fence up as of Yesterday. It's brown and doesn't match the green fences of Main Street, but it looks fine. Let's hope the other three sections get fences within the next few days and they start replacing that dying grass with flowers and shrubs.

I wonder if the new parts of the Hub will be going with a copper/bronze color scheme and these are intended to match that. (The concept flyover video shows light poles in the Hub that are more brown than green.)

-Rob

hpyhnt 1000

I wonder if the new parts of the Hub will be going with a copper/bronze color scheme and these are intended to match that. (The concept flyover video shows light poles in the Hub that are more brown than green.)

-Rob

I noticed that as well in the flyover video. I kind of like the idea of the bronze because a) I think it looks nicer than Main Street green, and b) would better define and separate the Hub as its own distinct area.

And good hear about the railings being put back into place. Hopefully it was just a supplier delay and the rest of the area (including the planter in front of Casey's Corner) will see new railings soon.

FutureWorld1982

As always, people getting too concerned about something MONTHS before a project has been completed. IF (and a big IF) the area stays like that after the HUB expansion project, then we can be concerned. Let's not put a band-aid on our leg if we didn't fall down yet.

roj2323

So I need to know, how many grown little boys out there saw @Horizons1's photo:
with all that dirt and some equipment and thought to themselves: "Man, there's no better place for a sandbox than smack dab in the middle of the Magic Kingdom. I want to play!"

Come on guys... fess up. ;)

So is anyone going to comment on how there is now a sand berm crossing the moat and how the second water filled bladder is missing again? I'm also curious as to why they keep filling and draining the work area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom