Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

note2001

I was thinking the same: It's a tree. It has a ground-level diameter of maybe one-square foot, about the same as a single person (no real parade viewing gained). It blocks no fireworks sightlines due to its location and its maintenance needs are for the most part provided naturally. Why on earth did they feel the need to remove it?

I wonder what these folk have for lawns back at home. Do you think they've removed all the grass and trees in favor of asphalt?

flynnibus

Premium Member
don't think DL is bench mecca - it is sorely lacking in enough places to take a break too. Especially when the benches they do have are hoarded by those camping out for the parades.

Horizons1

Today:
image.jpg image.jpg

This is way better than flower beds, right?
image.jpg

hpyhnt 1000

This is way better than flower beds, right?
View attachment 54678

Oy. That shot of people sprawled out in the grass is just ridiculous. I don't blame them, though, given the lack of benches and the state of the hub right now.

I beginning to wonder if TDO (apart from being cheap on landscaping) is trying to encourage people to use grass areas for sitting by removing railings and fences. That area used to have fences to keep people on the walkways, but after the recent "refurb" of the area they were gone.

Before shot of the area (note the fences and gardens compared to the grass of today):
219_2090.JPG

Post refurb:
MK+Casey+Restrooms.jpg

note2001

Oy. That shot of people sprawled out in the grass is just ridiculous. I don't blame them, though, given the lack of benches and the state of the hub right now.

I beginning to wonder if TDO (apart from being cheap on landscaping) is trying to encourage people to use grass areas for sitting by removing railings and fences. That area used to have fences to keep people on the walkways, but after the recent "refurb" of the area they were gone.

Before shot of the area (note the fences and gardens compared to the grass of today):
219_2090.JPG

Post refurb:
MK+Casey+Restrooms.jpg

I'm thinking this is just temporary. The railings and gardens, while they upscaled the bathroom/first aid area from being what it is, also confined it ... particularly now that the tall construction fences are there. Once the construction is done I wouldn't be surprised to see the fences and flowers return.

PS: Just don't cut down those three trees Disney, we're keeping count of each and every one in the park now ;)

PPS: You wouldn't catch me sitting on the ground like the folks in that shot are. I've seen the average size spiders and cockroaches in Florida. And yes, they love the Disney parks just as much as we do.

Last edited:

Kman101

The grass did look terrible, barely green and more brown. Yuck. I did like the fountain though, lol.

I don't mind the folks on the grass to watch the fireworks, I don't see the issue in that, personally, but just regularly camped out there? No.

yeti

Did they ever consider constructing a viewing terrace on the rooftops of Main Street? This is getting out of hand.

TP2000

Yesterday, while watching the DL and MK feed, I noticed one thing. DL visitors were having a rest at the benches and shadows that Town Square has there. When I saw MK's Town Square, there was nothing but red concrete and four small trees. People have to rest on the floor under 95ºF without a single shadow.
Think about that, TDO.

Also consider that on that same day the following weather occurred (and is very average for both cities)
Anaheim: High 73, Low 62, Low Humidity
Orlando: High 95, Low 71, High Humidity

TP2000

What HAVE they done?

No kidding! That "grass" looks terrible, even in the photo, so in real life it must look truly dead and lifeless.

After 59 years of theme park operations, Disney couldn't have un-learned all the lessons of the past. Even with the apparent non-communication between WDW and Disneyland when it comes to operating philosophies, the WDW team still has 42 years of operations knowledge to remember there.

This has to be a temporary situation. They couldn't have seriously thought they'd remove the fences and let 50,000 people per day trample and sprawl all over the grass like at a bad free concert in a city park.

There must have been a mix-up with the schedulers or with a supplier, and they just had to open these areas for the busy 24 Hour Day and holiday weekend.

Seriously. This has to be a temporary thing for just a week or so until the construction schedule gets back on track and the new fences go in. I just can't believe TDO and Magic Kingdom management would be that stupid and naïve.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
No kidding! That "grass" looks terrible, even in the photo, so in real life it must look truly dead and lifeless.
Seriously. This has to be a temporary thing for just a week or so until the construction schedule gets back on track and the new fences go in. I just can't believe TDO and Magic Kingdom management would be that stupid and naïve.
Oh, surely you jest.

TP2000

PPS: You wouldn't catch me sitting on the ground like the folks in that shot are. I've seen the average size spiders and cockroaches in Florida. And yes, they love the Disney parks just as much as we do.

Not to mention that people with proper upbringing don't sit on the ground in public, especially ladies.

And it's not just that sitting on the ground is improper and lower-class, but any human body over the age of 23 looks very unattractive when plopped on the ground. Especially women, who instantly gain 25 pounds and several extra lumps and bumps when they try and sit on the ground. See the photos attached to this thread for evidence of that.

Last edited:

TP2000

Oh, surely you jest.

No, honestly. I'm very willing to give them the benefit of the doubt here. The schedules ran behind, or a supplier goofed up, and the fences and railings weren't going to be done by the 24 Hour Party. So they went with a temporary plan to open these areas for that insanely busy day and just let the guests walk on the grass without fences for awhile.

In the next week or two after the holiday weekend, they'll go back and install fences and restore the damaged grass to the permanent gardens and manicured lawns. Seriously, that could be what's happening here. They just can't be that stupid to not have fences. They just can't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom