Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

mm121

I was thinking since now they're expanding the hub, and "improving guest flow", maybe they should get around to building all the things they "said" they were going to build, plus some things that they should just do, like give "it's a small world" a decent façade, and leave Maelstrom alone by putting Frozen in MK

IASW-MagicValley.jpg
not a bad idea, but i'm pretty sure its a small world would completely fall apart if they tried to move it and would have to be completely redone which would also destroy it.

though i do agree that frozen should be at mk not epcot.

there was some earlier talk on on here discussing moving small world to epcot and it was decided as not feasible, granted anything can be done for a price, but still has the potiential to destroy it.
And this is why I rant aboyt concrete wastelands - With a bit more THOUGHT the hub could have been enlarged and made more beautiful - pathways could have been altered to leave nice spots like the one by the tree alone. And even LARGE trees can be moved relatively easily by using one of THESE - This one is a relatively small unit

dsc02228.jpg
definitely!! they should have moved it not cut it down.
Well, this won't happen (anytime soon at least) because it is not compatible with the new cast parking area and maintenance area revamp project that is about to start (see the water management permit for details).
can you clue us in on what you mean by new cast parking? the parking area and other buildings are back off of center drive, not directly behind the park.

and no one was saynig that this plan should be done right away.. and disney can more than afford to build some blacktop then tear it up in a few years.. parking lots and warehouses are the simplest things to build out of everything disney builds, much simpler than moving its a small world.

Not to mention...moving "it's a small world"? Never gonna happen. It would be more reasonable to build some sort of bypass behind it's a small world, connecting the new Beauty and the Beast area to the Frontierland expansion slated for 2034.

as discusssed early accessing that back area will definitely be a challenge.. the best way i came up with to do it would be to build up over the access road between beauty and the beast and its a small world.

talked about here:
The Ultimate Magic Kingdom Expansion

overall since fantasyland was just expanded, it would be better to expand adventureland or tommorrowland first. there can't be a NEW new fantasyland.. since we all know they will be calling it "new fantasy land" for at least 5 years.

msteel

can you clue us in on what you mean by new cast parking? the parking area and other buildings are back off of center drive, not directly behind the park.

and no one was saynig that this plan should be done right away.. and disney can more than afford to build some blacktop then tear it up in a few years.. parking lots and warehouses are the simplest things to build out of everything disney builds, much simpler than moving its a small world.

See here:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/wdw-permits-2014.878380/page-6#post-5992800

and, for more detailed information see here and follow the instructions. There is quite a bit of interesting information in the permit documents:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/wdw-permits-2014.878380/

tl77

Well, this won't happen (anytime soon at least) because it is not compatible with the new cast parking area and maintenance area revamp project that is about to start (see the water management permit for details).
booo hisss ...employees should take the bus like everyone else

Last edited:

mm121

See here:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/wdw-permits-2014.878380/page-6#post-5992800

and, for more detailed information see here and follow the instructions. There is quite a bit of interesting information in the permit documents:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/wdw-permits-2014.878380/

thats nothing too big, looks like there just kinda cleaning the area up as right now on google there already informally using the area by the retention pond for parking, and looks like theres some trailers or some kind of cheap building on the part to the west. these spaces are primarily for maintenance/ behind the scenes workers vs dressed cast members that park further north by costuming.

it does seem silly they are building that retention pond where they are, vs buiding it to the east of that road by the existing retention pond, as the area east is in the fireworks zone and thus not really usable for any other purpose

or even better, build it NORTH of the railroad tracks build a lake around the fireworks launch area, would be a better use of land and as a bonus less risk of a brush fire.

Last edited:

tl77

not a bad idea, but i'm pretty sure its a small world would completely fall apart if they tried to move it and would have to be completely redone which would also destroy it.

though i do agree that frozen should be at mk not epcot.

Small World is the simplest ride they have, it's just a huge ware house building. The original was built in 9 months and was able to be moved from New York to Anaheim with out being destroyed, so I think the could probably move it back 200 feet without much trouble

mm121

Small World is the simplest ride they have, it's just a huge ware house building. The original was built in 9 months and was able to be moved from New York to Anaheim with out being destroyed, so I think the could probably move it back 200 feet without much trouble

it wasn't decades old at that point though.. thats just what some people were saying when discussing moving it to epcot that it would break since the figures are mostly wood, and have been there for decades

tl77

it wasn't decades old at that point though.. thats just what some people were saying when discussing moving it to epcot that it would break since the figures are mostly wood, and have been there for decades

Ohhhh ok I see, but the fact that it's decades old is kinda the reason I think they should re-do it, I mean does any one miss the original 1970's version of Dumbo?

Of the 5 versions of Small World WDW's is the least impressive and I think it seems every worse now with to all the New Fantasyland additions surrounding it, and since they're changing up the hub and everything else might as well

kap91

Thanks to Internet myths that won't die ("EPCOT was a failure"), fanbois tend to forget that Epcot Center was extremely successful and helped spread crowds throughout the resort.

Failure might be a bit strong of a word but before Test Track and the slew of redo's that followed, the park was mocked and avoided by many. I don't have specific attendance numbers but just the reputation the park had as being "Educational" gave it a horrible stigma. Certainly no one I knew, even locals and especially kids, had much interest in going except maybe to "drink around the world" (Obviously not applicable to kids). I'm not saying all the changes that have been made are for the better, nor should the park be solely marketed towards children (which it isn't, but it occasionally can get close) but they've certainly done heaps of good to the reputation and presumably the attendance of the park. Epcot is no longer looked at as the boring, educational, park that your kids will hate and you'll be mostly bored with. It has Soarin' and Test Track, and Nemo, and tons of delicious food. I always look at Epcot as the documentary park. I happen to love documentaries, but most of the public isn't thrilled with them. If it weren't for the current reimagining of documentaries via shows like the newer Modern Marvels, Through the Wormhole, heck even Mythbusters, etc. there'd be a even greater number of people who disliked them. I mean really have you watched some documentaries from the 70's. Talk about dry. Similarly, the steps taken to make Epcot more approachable by the public at large have largely been successful in their goal. Obviously there are many things to work on to make the park as great as it could be but I hate to think of what the crowds at MK might be like if no changes had been made. I guess the line for World of Motion would at least be short, in the hall of presidents kind of way.

Then there are the wait times for Pirates and Mansion that are apparently the new norm. Line all day for Spaceship Earth? Yes. Ok, I'll stop whining.
Spaceship Earth at least for the past 10 years nearly always has a line all day, though it moves really quickly.

Anecdotally, yes. But, all that really means is EVERYTHING has a wait now. No more walking on to HM. Which I miss. Big Thunder going from having a 90 minute wait to a 70 minute wait is still a too-long wait, so for me, anyway, this is a net minus. For now anyway.
If you don't want to wait more than 15 minutes for the mansion either go before 11-12, or get a fp+. That's what the system is there for. It is isn't difficult, and they don't usually run out. I've gotten one a mere 20-30 minutes before deciding to ride. Then take advantage of the shorter lines elsewhere. I continue to fail to see why there is so much venom for MM+. It's free, enables you to get fast passes quicker, easier, and doesn't seem to have any downsides. In fact I use FP more now than then I did before MM+ and quite like the flexibility it gives me. Before, I'd wait five minutes for Pirates. If it was the busy season maybe 30. Now I never have to wait ever if I chose so. Frankly I generally don't mind a 5-30 minute wait for anything. The ability to make the reservations whenever you want and their complete flexibility does indeed make the fp experience better. I find myself hardly waiting for than 15 minutes for any attraction. Yes there are a lot of ways the system could potentially become less attractive (if/when they decide to start charging for it). My only concern when it was being talked about was running out of attraction reservations ala ADR's and having to plan everything 60 days out. But like I said this has not become the case, 9/10 times the attraction i want is available when I want it the same day, and the other 1/10 of the time there's another time available that's within an hour or two. And this was during the Xmas/New Years Season and since. What's not to like?

I definitely agree its crazy how they keep boxing themselves in, similar to what happened in frontetir land with the positioning of splash mountain.
I've never quite understood this. The MK and WDW as a whole has had terrible use of space right from the beginning. Who was the mastermind that deciding surrounding the park with water on three sides and water and an access road on the fourth? Who deciding that the road to the tunnel entrance should back up against the entirety of fantasyland rather than just going straight back? What utility was gained in the design of tomorrow land that completely ensures both vast expanses of concrete and virtually no room to build any building of size on the east end? Out of all the possible configurations of adventureland and frontier land, they decide to joint the buildings of both in a thin strip that makes frontierland have an uncomfortably long stretch with no rides or attractions and no ability to build ones in the future. 20k was built in the one spot it would have been easy to expand fantasyland into and rather than putting its show building to good use (like I don't know, building the speedway on top ala DL) it just sat there taking up a huge hulking amount of space. The list goes on and on and on. i get the impression that the designers were so excited about the vast quantities of space they had that they focused more on making things grand than utilizing that space well. As time has gone forward they have only continued to utilize the remaining space poorly. It is marvelous how much better the space at DL is used. The only place at WDW that seems to have really been given this consideration was EPCOT, and even that has some issues. (Particularly with FutureWorld and the large quantities of land that lie behind the pavilions that can not be reached easily).

This is not to say that things can't be overcome. Disney is particularly good at creating bridges that you don't realize are bridges (See the one from Boardwalk to Epcot, Disney Sea, Pedestrian entrance to Disneyland from Harbor Blvd)...and there are likely other creative solutions, but it would have been a heck of a lot easier if it had been done from the beginning. I realize that in some cases much later development further exacerbated the problem (Splash and Thunder instead of WRE) but the original design still seems to have a lot of holes as well.

pushing the border back would have enabled them to leave toontown intact, by placing dumbo and the big tops in a different location

The only problem with toontown fair is that part of it is still standing. :)[/QUOTE]

DisneyGentleman

fanbois tend to forget that Epcot Center was extremely successful and helped spread crowds throughout the resort.
My recollection (and the experts can jump in here) is that in the late 80's Disney was actually trying to sell-off EPCOT because they didn't know what to do with it.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
My recollection (and the experts can jump in here) is that in the late 80's Disney was actually trying to sell-off EPCOT because they didn't know what to do with it.

But Disney figured Epcot out, it is now the most expensive restaurant and outdoor lounge ever created with a smattering of entertainment tossed in for good measure. ;)

FerretAfros

There was a rumor that Epcot was built away from the existing WDW infrastructure so that it could be sold of if needed, as a way to save the company (which was in bad financial shape when it was built). However, there doesn't appear to be any truth to that theory (why connect it with a monorail if you're going to sell it?), and they certainly never actively pursued selling the park

DisneyGentleman

News to me.
Not sure who (if anyone) here used to hang out on the GEnie Disney discussion group, but the impending spinoff of EPCOT was the "news de jour" in the pre-Eisner era.

GEnie was an online service owned by GE that had a fairly active WDW discussion group on a BBS call Destination Florida (1990ish). Actually won some EPCOT GE souvenirs on an online trivia contest there.

Some big topics back then were the impending sale of EPCOT, and the need to put shade over the epcot plaza. Of course everyone wanted trees, but the tarps were cheered back then, as were the whirlagigs that brought "energy to the plaza". How times change!

lazyboy97o

There was a rumor that Epcot was built away from the existing WDW infrastructure so that it could be sold of if needed, as a way to save the company (which was in bad financial shape when it was built). However, there doesn't appear to be any truth to that theory (why connect it with a monorail if you're going to sell it?), and they certainly never actively pursued selling the park
The EPCOT Center was built in the approximate location that would have been the center of EPCOT. It is centrally located on the property with the Seven Seas Lagoon intentionally built further away so that all guests to Disney World were to first pass through EPCOT.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
I miss the direction the original imagineers had to appropriate theming to the respective lands and eras.

BjgQdfUCcAAGM65.jpg:large

wdwfacts
Thankfully, this is view is still pretty much the same. Landscapers have yet to take a chain saw to this area (yet). This is one of my favorite paths (along with the one that mirrors this from Liberty Square) in the MK....now if they would get rid of the smoking section that you must pass through to get to the castle courtyard.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom