Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Rob562

Does anyone have a map showing the fireworks launch locations and this so called "fallout" zone? i thought most of the fireworks were shot from within MK just behind the castle in areas already occupied by buildings, except for the occassional perimitter shows that require closing the road around MK.

Here's a map I made a few years ago as the Expansion was just getting underway. The yellow box is essentially the fallout zone. You can see the launch pad in the center of it along Floridian Way.

Fallout.jpg

The backstage road is the edge of it, but even then they try to only allow vehicles along it during the fireworks, no pedestrians. If you're driving north on World Drive beyond the Contemporary, they blockade the road at that 4-way intersection above the park and force you to turn north.

When they built Be Our Guest they actually built awnings over all of the emergency exit walkways so that people leaving the building during a coincidental incident would be under cover.

The only pyro launched within the park are the Fantasyland rooftop shells.

-Rob

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
This little area, near the Plaza Restaurant had what I call "Disneyland Charm". The combination of the landscaping and architecture gave it a little different feel than the rest of Main Street. So sad this big old guy is gone.
DSCN8723.JPG
DSCN8726.JPG
DSCN8729.JPG

If the original trees in the center of the hub had been allowed to continue growing, they would have achieved this size....which actually would have been too big. There comes a time when a tree cannot be trimmed anymore, but I still miss the shady oasis that the hub once provided.

mm121

This little area, near the Plaza Restaurant had what I call "Disneyland Charm". The combination of the landscaping and architecture gave it a little different feel than the rest of Main Street. So sad this big old guy is gone.View attachment 50028View attachment 50029 View attachment 50030
If the original trees in the center of the hub had been allowed to continue growing, the could have achieved this size....which actually would have been too big. There comes a time when a tree cannot be trimmed anymore, but I still miss the shady oasis that the hub once provided.

oh wow thats crazy they chopped down that tree, that area use to be so pretty.. without the tree i'm sure it feels super barren.

its such a pretty tree too too bad they probably just chopped it down, rather than relocating it elsewhere on property..

note2001

oh wow thats crazy they chopped down that tree, that area use to be so pretty.. without the tree i'm sure it feels super barren.

its such a pretty tree too too bad they probably just chopped it down, rather than relocating it elsewhere on property..

The primary roots were most likely under the pathway pavement. But I too would like to know why Disney was so seemingly lazy that they could not have taken the effort to design the pathway to loop around the tree. We all know how to turn.

Last edited:
Here's my thing, I'm neither for, nor against this move. But what I AM indeed against, is the fact that they didn't start this in time to let spring break pass before, or after spring break. I understand disney world isn't a big "hot spot" for college kids for spring break but people still bring their families for Easter. And for lots of families to go into the park with this disaster going on makes no sense to me. But I'm not a disney executive, nor are neither of you. So my rant is done.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
I'm hoping the big old trees were saved and moved to another location.
Sadly, I believe they disappeared too quickly (overnight and no prep work) for them to have been moved. I seem to recall seeing a picture with a box over the area where the trunk of the tree should be. (Someone please tell me if I'm wrong-I'd love to hear of this big old tree being saved.)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Here's my thing, I'm neither for, nor against this move. But what I AM indeed against, is the fact that they didn't start this in time to let spring break pass before, or after spring break. I understand disney world isn't a big "hot spot" for college kids for spring break but people still bring their families for Easter. And for lots of families to go into the park with this disaster going on makes no sense to me. But I'm not a disney executive, nor are neither of you. So my rant is done.

This project is going to take over a year to complete so it's going to be happening during some very busy holiday times no matter when they start it.

ToTBellHop

Detour----We were given the option of Caribbean Beach or French Quarter for Discounts. How has CB been with the buses? All I can remember is how far out our room was, but it has been sooooo long ago.
It's all location there. We were in Martinique and very pleased.

iheartdisney91

I can't tell you the last time I've been to MK without any referbs or construction.
I'm hoping for my October trip this is a bit more cleaned up.

From the Mine Coaster updates I'm getting a little worried.
I hope in 8-ish months they can complete a good portion of it. Hopefully no cranes.

Last edited:

Bolt

I can't tell you the last time I've been to MK without any referbs or construction.
I'm hoping for my October trip this is a bit more cleaned up.

From the Mine Coaster updates I'm getting a little worried.
I hope in 8-ish months they can complete a good portion of it. Hopefully no cranes.
I don't think that's all too realistic for cranes with a bridge construction, those take a lot of work.

RandySavage

This was one of the last of the original trees in the hub area. It's a crime that this tree couldn't have been saved....I really don't see why the new path couldn't have been diverted around this tree.

Tragic and shameful. Thanks for documenting the ambiance before its end. Money can't buy that kind of charm & beauty. It comes only from decades of natural growth. If the New Hub circumference trees are allowed to grow, we'll only have to wait a scant 30 years to see that kind tree in the area again...

The trees in the MK's hub were designed to push the castle further back; to give the illusion that it was actually taller and farther away when you first saw it from Main Street. The hub itself was also used as a cozy, shady, quiet transitional area. You couldn't just see Tomorrowland via the Adventureland bridge, or vice versa. The hub trees were used as "stage curtains" to help slowly reveal the next land you came upon as you navigated the hub.

@WDW1974 knows all about my fascination with the hub trees. The spirit tried to get me to go to a free clinic to resolve my sorrows about the trees being removed, but we ended up going to a Fuddruckers instead.

Here is a picture of the hub in 1991, granted the trees were overgrown in this photo (they did get trimmed from time to time over the years)

2by69x.jpg

This picture from July 2003, shows the hub trees as well as the large trees before you get to the hub that were removed for the castle projection show.

29zq1jd.jpg

The hub trees were removed in September 2003 to make way for Wishes in October 2003.

The hub was then redone/flattened out (original 1971 circular faux brick benches, planters, etc were all removed around 2005 for the global 50th anniversary of Disneyland.

And here is the hub today. Barren, flat, with a Castle plopped right down at the end of Main Street saying "LOOK AT ME I'M HERE!" with no sense of foreground (the trees) to push the castle further back and also help draw you toward the castle as you could see it peaking up from behind the trees.

11bhrhg.jpg

The hub is extremely barren, and doesn't help in of all places...FLORIDA. Hopefully the new hub's outer ring of trees will help provide some shade at the very least.
Your 1991/2003 pictures make me so upset at the fact that i never got to see the trees in person... as that is such a beautiful sight

tl77

makes sense, but i'm sure they could have figured it out if they wanted to, its just bad theres like zero rain protection anywhere around the hub, tables with the umbrellas by caseys dont really do much in a monsune.

I doubt theres official rules on backstage space, and it varies alot depending on type of attraction

rather than destroying the water around the liberty bell, ive come up with a plan that solves all the access issues for expansion. photo below

as this is off topic i made a new thread to discuss the below image
The Ultimate Magic Kingdom Expansion

this is true, but they keep raising ticket prices, yet not raising wages, so not sure where all the extra money is going.

i know its not but it would be interesting to think about what disney would look like if it operated like a non profit reinvesting everything they make back into the company rather than working soley for the shareholders.

i like the idea of building by pinocchio village, rather than a tunnel going under, i'd build a walkway going up and over the access area, a long tunnel would feel dark and cramped. and going up and over could allow for some shops and kiosks to enjoy along the way.

I like the idea of having multiple shows, maybe use some of the new plazas i created in my ultimate magic kingdom expantion photo, and discussed here.
The Ultimate Magic Kingdom Expansion

thats a problem with so many things, the decision makers dont actually get out and see whats going on with things.. THEY ONLY LOOK AT THE BALANCE SHEETS.

I like the idea of doing shows in multiple locations around the park, only problem is most sections dont really have a central place with capacity to do something, other than maybe the plaza of tommorrow land.

in my ultimate expansion pic, i highlighted some places that feature attractions for each land could be built to enable specific night shows for each region.

though i know the issue with that would be people complaining that theres too much to do, that they can't see all the shows, but that leaves things to see on multiple visit would would increase traffic at the end of the day, and the extra space wouldn't make it feel so cramped.

I was thinking since now they're expanding the hub, and "improving guest flow", maybe they should get around to building all the things they "said" they were going to build, plus some things that they should just do, like give "it's a small world" a decent façade, and leave Maelstrom alone by putting Frozen in MK

IASW-MagicValley.jpg

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Your 1991/2003 pictures make me so upset at the fact that i never got to see the trees in person... as that is such a beautiful sight

And this is why I rant aboyt concrete wastelands - With a bit more THOUGHT the hub could have been enlarged and made more beautiful - pathways could have been altered to leave nice spots like the one by the tree alone. And even LARGE trees can be moved relatively easily by using one of THESE - This one is a relatively small unit

dsc02228.jpg

jlsHouston

This little area, near the Plaza Restaurant had what I call "Disneyland Charm". The combination of the landscaping and architecture gave it a little different feel than the rest of Main Street. So sad this big old guy is gone.View attachment 50028View attachment 50029 View attachment 50030
If the original trees in the center of the hub had been allowed to continue growing, they would have achieved this size....which actually would have been too big. There comes a time when a tree cannot be trimmed anymore, but I still miss the shady oasis that the hub once provided.

My gosh look at that shade...wow...that is beautiful..and sad

msteel

I was thinking since now they're expanding the hub, and "improving guest flow", maybe they should get around to building all the things they "said" they were going to build, plus some things that they should just do, like give "it's a small world" a decent façade, and leave Maelstrom alone by putting Frozen in MK

IASW-MagicValley.jpg

Well, this won't happen (anytime soon at least) because it is not compatible with the new cast parking area and maintenance area revamp project that is about to start (see the water management permit for details).

ToTBellHop

Well, this won't happen (anytime soon at least) because it is not compatible with the new cast parking area and maintenance area revamp project that is about to start (see the water management permit for details).
Not to mention...moving "it's a small world"? Never gonna happen. It would be more reasonable to build some sort of bypass behind it's a small world, connecting the new Beauty and the Beast area to the Frontierland expansion slated for 2034.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom