Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Jose

13497962423_f910173b25_b.jpg

andyman8

You lost me on that last sentence. I welcome refurbishments of the building fronts.

It's not that I don't welcome them, but Disney takes way too long to complete them. Anyways, I was just curious. Sorry for asking.:banghead:

I never understood why it takes so long to refubish the facades. They're fake fronts. You could refurbish and/or complete an addition on a real house faster than these false fronts get refurbed.

Exactly.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Between the cult of personality and that statue, the rigid planning everywhere and long lines just to get food, and the vast expanse of concrete leading up to a castle devoted to fairy tales, the MK is beginning to remind me of Moscow's Red Square.

Quite the feat for the place that once above all others symbolised the capitalist alternative!

St-Basils-Cathedral-189681348233932_660_397_005A77_center-center.jpg

All the MK needs now is a copy of Lenin's Tomb and a statue of Iron Feliks

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Yes, Disney is slow, but when the MK is open 9 am to 12 am daily, there isn't much time left for such work.

So they can only work on it 6-9 hours a day? It is a freak'n facade. They are not that long and they have 6-9 hours a day.

What is iratating about Main Street is a few feet takes so long to accomplish that Main Street is always under construction walls or skims. They drag their feet resulting in the never ending skim.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Heard some rumors about the moats being filled in in two weeks. Anyone heard anything about that? Also anyone have an idea when that stupid Confectionary scrim will be down?

That be nice for the media events coming for Dwarf. Did you hear the rumor from a reliable source?

Father Robinson

So they can only work on it 6-9 hours a day? It is a freak'n facade. They are not that long and they have 6-9 hours a day.

What is iratating about Main Street is a few feet takes so long to accomplish that Main Street is always under construction walls or skims. They drag their feet resulting in the never ending skim.
And does no work happen on the facades after the park closes?! 11pm - 9am seems like a fairly good chunk of time to be doing the bulk of the work. 4+ months on 1, not even all of MS, 1 false front is unimaginable.

COProgressFan

Honestly I'm always the most confused by the removal of the trees in Town Square. Those do nothing to "block" the fireworks or projection show, so I don't understand why they had to get rid of those trees. I feel like there can be some kind of compromise between no shade and benches, and overgrown trees. There has to be some middle ground.

I was going to post the same thing. While I completely disagree with the removal of so many trees in the hub, at least I know why they did it. There is no reason to have such tiny trees in Town Square. There is no view that is being blocked or fireworks that can't be seen. (And look at all the benches in some of those old photos!) The old Town Square trees were yanked a few years back to be replaced by tiny trees. Then those tiny trees were yanked last year or the year before to be replaced by ... more tiny trees. Not exactly sure what the plan is there.

And before anyone says "it takes a long time for trees to grow big" please remember that WDW was built and designed with this in mind -- a tree farm near DAK (long before DAK ever opened) to grow replacement trees for when they would be needed in the parks. I expect to see tiny trees that look like I could carry them home in a pickup from Home Depot in a new subdivision -- not in the world's supposed #1 theme park which is designed to evoke a certain feeling/setting.

FerretAfros

I would guess that the Town Square trees are small so that they balance with the ones in the Hub. It wouldn't make much visual sense to have huge leafy trees over TS, and scrawny little things at the end of the street. This way we have balance between the two ends of Main Street (though I would personally love to see the balance come from large trees at both ends, rather than small ones)

And the last few times I've been past the tree farm, it's looked pretty bleak. Yah, there's some stuff growing over there, but nothing much that resembles a full-grown tree. Shrubs and ground cover, sure, but the trees are roughly the same size as the Hub/TS ones (or smaller)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom