Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
they have to be deployed if it rains as well, might as well be 99%. and contrary to popular opinion, the telescoping elements are not automatic, there has to be a CM spotter to make sure nothing happens and no one is in the way... so more cost, more payroll - every time it has to extend and retract? all for a small group of people fussing about infrastructure that really only appears in pictures, that the minds eye unconsciously blocks in person?

Nice video. Seems like Disneyland and Tokyo have no trouble spending a year's Churro cart sales on people to manage the telescopic action (actually it's part of entertainment). Doesn't seem to bother anyone that the drawbridge is managed by folks in EPCOT.

However, that is not what I was questioning when I asked, "It's dark 99% of the time?". To which your response is "they have to be deployed if it rains as well, might as well be 99%.". While this does fit nicely with your narrative, it is not accurate. Facts below:

1) Average number of rainy days over the course of the year is measured over the last 70 years is 110 days. (These days are measured when .01 inches of precipitation which is a low threshold.)

2) A year is 365 days colloquially. 110 days is less that 1/3 of a year.

3) Days of full sun 90. Days of partly sunny 147. All days with sun 236.

There are several other things that can be measured (such as hours of sun per day) but that would prove unproductive and add little to facts. There is lots of total rain in Orlando (around 53 inches per year). With that said however, "99% of the time" holds no water.

*1023*

flyerjab

Visited the MK today. Made it to opening at 9 AM and by 10 AM already did 7DMT (no FP), BTMR and SM, as well as Starbucks for breakfast. The crowds until around noon, well, there really weren't any. It was wonderful.

Anyway, we walked through the Hub several times and I snagged a few photos.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The one side of the outer walkway is finished for the most part on the TL side. It is so nice to be able to walk all the way around now without dealing with the press of people watching a castle show.

image.jpg

There is still much to do though. The front staircases and the medallion still are not finished, and the final outer turrets and surrounding landscaping are yet to be completed. Also, the outer ring is not yet finished on the AL side. And the temporary show booths won't be down until these little beauties are finished.

image.jpg

Also, one other thing I feel needs to be pointed out. I know that I usually praise most of what this company does. However, if I see something perceived as bad show, I will highlight it.

image.jpg

This is the roof above the Tomorrowland Terrace, and it is atrocious. It really impacts my enjoyment as I take in the new sights of the Hub. On the whole, though, I personally love what they have done with the Hub thus far. However, I really hope they fix that roof line. It is just ugly.

Last edited:

peter11435

Visited the MK today. Made it to opening at 9 AM and by 10 AM already did 7DMT (no FP), BTMR and SM, as well as Starbucks for breakfast. The crowds until around non, well, there really weren't any. It was wonderful.

View attachment 109418

View attachment 109419

View attachment 109421

View attachment 109423

View attachment 109424

The one side of the outer walkway is finished for the most part on the TL side. It is so nice to be able to walk all the way around now without dealing with the press of people watching a castle show.

View attachment 109427

There is still much to do though. The front staircases and the medallion still are not finished, and the final outer turrets and surrounding landscaping are yet to be completed. Also, the outer ring is not yet finished on the AL side. And the temporary show booths won't be down until these little beauties are finished.

View attachment 109433

Also, one other thing I feel needs to be pointed out. I know that I usually praise most of what this company does. However, if I see something perceived as bad show, I will highlight it.

View attachment 109436

This is the roof above the Tomorrowland Terrace, and it is atrocious. It really impacts my enjoyment as I take in the new sights of the Hub. On the whole, though, I personally love what they have done with the Hub thus far. However, I really hope they fix that roof line. It is just ugly.
There is currently refurbishment work taking place on the terrace roof. That is why it looks like that currently.

Next Big Thing

Visited the MK today. Made it to opening at 9 AM and by 10 AM already did 7DMT (no FP), BTMR and SM, as well as Starbucks for breakfast. The crowds until around noon, well, there really weren't any. It was wonderful.

View attachment 109418

View attachment 109419

View attachment 109421

View attachment 109423

View attachment 109424

View attachment 109427

View attachment 109433

View attachment 109436

That roof has been like that for far too long now. It isn't just some simple refurb anymore, it's just pure lazyness.

peter11435

That roof has been like that for far too long now. It isn't just some simple refurb anymore, it's just pure lazyness.
The roof has looked a bit rough for years. But there is a roof refurbisment taking place currently and that is why it looks so bad right now. What you are seeing is that the flashing has all been removed and the jagged edges of the new roofing underlayment are sticking out.

Otamin

We haven't discussed trees for a couple of hours, so I'm just going to put this here.

MqmcHCt.jpg

(image from startedbyamouse.com)

A02qzEx.gif
I'm not falling for that, you evil witch! ;)

I will say that whilst I wish for trees in the central section, from the pictures I've seen the rest is looking decent.

Hopefully Main Street/Town Square gets some love soon.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom