Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Monorail_Red_77

These are all pennants? I'm going to have to look again next time I'm there since I never even noticed this before.

Mickeys-Not-So-Scary-Halloween-Party_Full_25190.jpg

Yes, they are very close to looking like an American flag. You would probably have to take one down and compare it side by side to an official American flag to spot the differences. So at height and wind, etc. they look like American flags to guests, but Disney doesn't have to take them down daily or worry about flag code/etiquette.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
They are not true American flags. They might have a star missing, etc. This way they do not have to be lowered at night and also do not have to be lit at night.
So they are a type of pennant flag.
Hmm, learn something new every day. That is actually a bit surprising, but not unexpected. Do you know if it has always been this way?

note2001

Yes, they are very close to looking like an American flag. You would probably have to take one down and compare it side by side to an official American flag to spot the differences. So at height and wind, etc. they look like American flags to guests, but Disney doesn't have to take them down daily or worry about flag code/etiquette.
I love this trivia. Google search came up with this image from http://www.wdwsecrets.com/magic-kingdom-secrets/

flag-missing-stars600.jpg

JoeCamel

Not just the stars, count the stripes on the ones the stars look right. For those that did not get a proper schooling when they were growing up there are 13 stripes and the top one is??? What color?

meyeet

Not just the stars, count the stripes on the ones the stars look right. For those that did not get a proper schooling when they were growing up there are 13 stripes and the top one is??? What color?
I see 13 stripes with the top one being red.

JoeCamel

Crane usually sticks around for a few months once it is onsite. They do drop it to the ground when they are not actively installing the lights or taking them down. The year they repainted the castle it was there for a long, long time. It is behind (sort of) construction walls when it is onsite. Kinda cool to watch if you have young gentlemen, they love the big equipment.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
I would have to completely disagree. I have many photos, and they all look like American flags.View attachment 109035
Doesn't look like pennant to me.

That's actually the point. The pennants or flags are designed to look like the American flag but they are missing either a stripe or some of the stars. Making them not "American flags" this way they don't have to be lit at night or taken down in high wind. (Sorry if someone already posted, I'm catching up my reading today).

TeriofTerror

I really don't understand what the problem is? They're just trees. At least we have the castle to look at. Personally I'd rather see the Disney castle in Disney rather than some trees.
I guess people are upset because they believe Disney "paved paradise and put up a fireworks spot"?
I'm sorry; I shouldn't be so flip and dismissive. But I've got preseason football, good wine, and I just turned on my Out of Office until September 14th. I'm having a hard time getting my panties in a bunch about the new hub. I live in the middle of nowhere; I see trees all the time. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom