Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Goofyernmost

Huh? I go every September- and while busier than septembers past, it is by a mile less crowded than the other months.
Food and wine is one busy time
Atlanta ISD has a week long break somewhere in there- but it still isn't nearly as bad as other months. Only time I've ever seen it more dead than September is the end of January

Did you just go at a weird time or something?
Might have, I just go when the mood strikes me so it is possible, but, I can remember a few years back where it was totally gridlocked in the Small World Area. There were so many people there that no one could move in any directions. And it was HOT... Surface of the sun hot.

MerlinTheGoat

The area between Peter Pan and Small World has always been a baffling design choice to me. It has two problems. One is the traffic bottleneck it caused. The other is the inferior facade designed for WDW's Small World, and the narrow walkway between the two rides makes it impossible to ever properly replicate the original Disneyland facade (unless they relocate the building entirely).

I don't have many problems with the original layout for MK, but this area is one of those problems.

jt04

The area between Peter Pan and Small World has always been a baffling design choice to me. It has two problems. One is the traffic bottleneck it caused. The other is the inferior facade designed for WDW's Small World, and the narrow walkway between the two rides makes it impossible to ever properly replicate the original Disneyland facade (unless they relocate the building entirely).

I don't have many problems with the original layout for MK, but this area is one of those problems.

Perhaps IaSW at the MK was meant as a temporary venue. I know by relocating the attraction to WS it would solve problems for both parks. IMO.

Goofyernmost

Putting Fantasyland's two most beloved attractions so close along a narrow walkway- what did they expect but a bottleneck?
That can't be right. All I've ever read on this site is how great the old imagineers were and how awful the new ones are. Make up your minds... were they capable of screwing up or not.

Just a thought on my part, but, I really think that after Walt died, I'm not sure that they felt that WDW would be the huge success that it became. In other words, they never anticipated the numbers of people that would occupy the parks at any given time.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That can't be right. All I've ever read on this site is how great the old imagineers were and how awful the new ones are. Make up your minds... were they capable of screwing up or not.
1971 Fantasyland had quite a few flaws.

Imagineering can still be as great as they used to be. Given the right budget and remove the burocracy.

Clamman73

More people should take the Skyway.

rnese

I think the reason there are no trees is so there's plenty of room for the..........................BIG...BLUE...HAT!!!;)

Actually, it is taking this long BECAUSE it is in the Center of the park. Working around an active park is a nightmare.
It's a no-win situation for Disney since there is no off-season for the parks. Sure, there are "off-peak" times but it's ALWAYS going to be busy. It also doesn't help that we're an instant gratification society. I hate it just as much as the next guy. I drive my family from NH to Disney just about every year, and it stinks to deal with it as part of our experience, but it is what it is, we expect it, plan for it, and know it's for the better. It'd be nice to be a local family and not have it be as big of a deal, but like I said, it is what it is and there's more to Disney World than just the Hub. DAK is walled up all around too, but there are going to be growing pains for a series of parks that will forever be expanding. I try to look at it optimistically.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
It's a no-win situation for Disney since there is no off-season for the parks. Sure, there are "off-peak" times but it's ALWAYS going to be busy. It also doesn't help that we're an instant gratification society. I hate it just as much as the next guy. I drive my family from NH to Disney just about every year, and it stinks to deal with it as part of our experience, but it is what it is, we expect it, plan for it, and know it's for the better. It'd be nice to be a local family and not have it be as big of a deal, but like I said, it is what it is and there's more to Disney World than just the Hub. DAK is walled up all around too, but there are going to be growing pains for a series of parks that will forever be expanding. I try to look at it optimistically.

We regret to inform you that optimism is not allowed on these forums. Please Relocate your comments elsewhere.;)

EPCOTCenterLover

In thinking about this issue, this is one of the many improved areas regarding design and people flow at DLP. Both attractions (Peter Pan and IASW) are apart from each other, and Pan is moved to its own building out of the way from the castle courtyard and widely used pathways.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom