Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Goofyernmost

In thinking about this issue, this is one of the many improved areas regarding design and people flow at DLP. Both attractions (Peter Pan and IASW) are apart from each other, and Pan is moved to its own building out of the way from the castle courtyard and widely used pathways.
Yes, that bottle neck in WDW was a major mistake. It was a design flaw of sorts, because aesthetically they thought, I believe, that it looked better and more inviting with a little closeness and feeling of security. However, they aren't going to move entire buildings because it gets a little tight in there sometimes. They have much bigger fish to fry if they would just get around to frying.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I always had more crowd issues Between Liberty Square and Haunted Mansion but then I really only cut thru fantasyland at night to get back and fourth from Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain.

RadiatorSpringsRacer

I think the reason there are no trees is so there's plenty of room for the..........................BIG...BLUE...HAT!!!;)

tumblr_nd9zhvwCaI1rcktu3o1_500.jpg

Monorail_Red_77

Imagine how bad this bottleneck used to be with the pylon's from the skyway in place. At least one ran right through here too. I'll have to dig up my pics from 1982.
Found it!
Scan_Pic0024.jpg

In this pic IASW is to the left out of frame. Pan is to the right. An information kiosk is the small hut in the center. Village Haus is to the left. In the opposite direction of this pic is a pylon for skyway right before it goes to the load point between haunted and small world.

ABQ

Found it!
View attachment 96044
In this pic IASW is to the left out of frame. Pan is to the right. An information kiosk is the small hut in the center. Village Haus is to the left. In the opposite direction of this pic is a pylon for skyway right before it goes to the load point between haunted and small world.
Look how few strollers there are! The pylon is long gone, but the stroller parking from Philharmagic fills all the way out to that former info kiosk.

Last edited:

P_Radden

Are the turrets uncovered yet? I know the spires were put on last week... Anybody going to be at MK this week to take some pics?

Monorail_Red_77

Here's a Pic I took during the 24hr party back in May of the hub work being done in the central area of the plaza You can see street lights in place even before concrete is poured. Not a bad pic using a low light app. Notice the red led lights in the background, they are part of the new LED lighting on those infamous light poles. They were changing color with the other lights on stage to the music. You can even see the bottom half of a light pole directly center frame.

IMG_6349.JPG

Boom, back on topic, just like that....
;)

halltd

They're on the Skyway to get to Tomorrowland.
I know this is off-topic, but I actually wonder what the ridership of the Skyway used to be and how many people that attraction actually removed from the midway between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. Kind of like an "express lane" on the highway but for the Midway instead. Imagine if the People Mover actually went to a different land instead of coming back to the same spot. :)

Monorail_Red_77

Look at how few people there were. Makes a big difference.
Yes, indeed. I was about 5 years old when this pic was taken. I think it was in the fall of 1982 possibly. I know it was for the tencennial celebration as I have other pics of the celebrations at the hub with band and all. I know the celebration lasted about a year give or take plus based on time stamp on back of pic puts this around that time.

mahnamahna101

Imagine how bad this bottleneck used to be with the pylon's from the skyway in place. At least one ran right through here too. I'll have to dig up my pics from 1982.
The whole top left section of the park is a bottleneck.

Big Thunder and Splash lead to a dead-end.

Peter Pan, IASW and HM are all right by each other.

The pathways in this area are quite narrow. It only makes sense you'd be bottlenecked.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom