Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I completely understand where you are coming from I have a love no love relationship with Disney, I really miss when people were treated as people, unfortunately people have changed, mostly it's me. me.. me... and I think Disney has responded. I have grandkids, and kids that love Disney....and so do I for different reasons....I like the space (outside the parks), the warm weather (from Denver, where summer is very short), and flowers of any kind, so few that can survive in our high altitude and dry climate... so I always welcome a Disney vacation....I find other things to enjoy....sure I go on rides with the grandkids....after lunch, it's grandma's and grandpa's time.....enjoying resorts...resting in the air conditioned room, and reading or napping. I'm not a go getter as I used to be....:D

Some of the best memories in my life were made at Disney both in childhood and adulthood, But the past 5 years or so it's been more about what has been removed from the Disney experience, Too frequently family has gone down and wanted to do a favorite activity and it's no longer there when they are done I'm done as well.

I'm wondering just how many of Disney's regular customers are on the cusp of saying it's no longer WORTH it to vacation at WDW. Disney has pursued a strategy of 'One and Done' because they will not notice the cuts.

Good things don't happen to companies who manage to hack off their repeat customers.

Sage of Time

Sure. World Showcase had them since 1982. False rocks, signs and the like. A false shrub (or even a real one covering the box base) would do it. Have a CM stood by it when in motion if needs be.

Or even just telescoping into a regular height lamppost.

When you've seen Disneyland's Fantasmic show rigs retract into the floor - in the middle of the viewing area - a lamppost doesn't seem too hard to do.
To be fair, the Fantasmic rigs are HUUUUGE. You think they'd need to put THAT in the Hub!?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
One reason they might not be able to retract them is the utlidors. There is a level below the hub. When the pole retracts where would they go? In the middle of a tunnel, office?

True but there are other options like telescoping masts which could be entirely above ground level, I have a portable antenna tower which is 5' high retracted which is 25' high extended and the thing is rated to support 70 pounds at full extension.

ToInfinityAndBeyond

DisneySea did a very nice job of hiding light fixtures that are used for shows or only used at night.

"Another nice detail, Disney hid sound and lighting equipment underground and in various structures around Mediterranean Harbor. Then, right before a show begins, trap doors open and up rises large poles with spotlights and speakers attached. Below is an example of one of these structures."

MH%2005a.jpg

(source: The World According to Jack archives)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
One reason they might not be able to retract them is the utlidors. There is a level below the hub. When the pole retracts where would they go? In the middle of a tunnel, office?
Aside from the central corridor there are no Utilidors under the hub. It's clear from before the tip board up to the castle.

Like I said, they don't need to go below ground level. But that would be a bonus. But it's a mute point. I'm sure they have some wonderful solution in mind.

Cesar R M

unless they are telescopic.
Aka small parts inside another.

DisneySea did a very nice job of hiding light fixtures that are used for shows or only used at night.

"Another nice detail, Disney hid sound and lighting equipment underground and in various structures around Mediterranean Harbor. Then, right before a show begins, trap doors open and up rises large poles with spotlights and speakers attached. Below is an example of one of these structures."

MH%2005a.jpg

(source: The World According to Jack archives)
Theres a few videos online showing these..
they look amazing.
some turn sideways, others just rise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom