Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

jdmdisney99

Sad.
Main-Street-USA_Full_23599.jpg

Cesar R M

They should rig up a decent sized rubber mallet on an automatic servo-motor to hit the zipline cable at certain intervals from the tomorrow land end. This would send vibrations down the cable and scare away the birds. Not sure how the continual vibrations every few minutes would effect the integrity of the cable though. Tinkerbell might make it to the ground a bit quicker?

Or on the flip side they could charge $1.00 per shot and setup a fantasyland shootin' arcade in the hub area. Just tell the kids that the birds are animatronic. :hilarious:
the birds might get used to the vibration just saying.

an uncle of mine, had a plastic owl to scare the doves who carped everywhere.
it only required a "dumb" dove to sit on the plastic owl's head, all other doves then noticed that it was harmless.

Last edited:

Martiyoman

More peeling right off than chipped paint effect. Want a free souvenir? You can peel some with ease yourself. Knowing the new Disney it is a result of Low Bidder Fence Company of Orlando.
Waitwaitwait... Do you really fault them for paying the lowest amount of money to do the job the way they wanted to do it? Not the job as a whole or the way you want it done, but the way they planned and designed to do it. It would've been absolutely asinine to pay more than the lowest bidder, so long as they had a quality portfolio, and I don't think anyone would argue someone from disney didn't check out their portfolio.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I am glad the awful red paint is going away. But the question is if they are going to do that just for the hub, or make that go all down mainstreet.

Reports have been that the color change is only for the hub at this time. This project isn't funding a full change all the way down Main Street. After I saw it in person a couple of weeks ago it kind of makes sense. Main Street has the red paved sidewalks and then as you leave town and get to the hub it transitions to something more like a gravel path which makes more sense visually for a park-like environment.

halltd

Main Street has the red paved sidewalks and then as you leave town and get to the hub it transitions to something more like a gravel path which makes more sense visually for a park-like environment.

Where's the transition and how is it handled? I haven't seen any pictures of that yet, but I've been wondering how they accomplished it.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Where's the transition and how is it handled? I haven't seen any pictures of that yet, but I've been wondering how they accomplished it.

I'm trying to find the artwork that showed it but as I remember it, the transition point is just to the south of the east/west path that crosses just north of the outdoor seating area for Casey's. When I was there 2 weeks ago the pavement colors are a hodgepodge mess all around the central hub as they slowly swap out section by section. There are areas in the inner ring where one side is red and the other side is the new 'gravel' color. The gravel colored pavement is supposed to head out all of the radiating paths toward the lands but not go all the way as the project boundaries end before the actual entrances to those lands. It's not yet clear whether it will be a hard change, or if they'll do some sort of transition between the two pavement types/colors.

Last edited:

wogwog

Waitwaitwait... Do you really fault them for paying the lowest amount of money to do the job the way they wanted to do it? Not the job as a whole or the way you want it done, but the way they planned and designed to do it. It would've been absolutely asinine to pay more than the lowest bidder, so long as they had a quality portfolio, and I don't think anyone would argue someone from disney didn't check out their portfolio.
I don't know about the plans or the process Disney used and I do not now or have I ever built a fence. All I know is on a tour of the area after it was opened to the public I saw several issues still to be corrected. The peeling fence being the most obvious but not the biggest issue. Will all of the issues be fixed? Yes of course. My issue is the quality control of the project by Disney.

I never built anything but I have had to sign off on major large projects involving multiple buildings and infrastructure in by long career. The Hub work is shoddy.

jdmdisney99

I'm not going to judge the final product yet. Still two planters to be built out and landscaped, there's a mix of old and new lighting, the trees aren't leafed, there's a scrim on main street, and the pavement is still all mish-mashed.
Sorry should have been more specific. The hub overall is not appearing sadly to me. I very much enjoy the look of the new areas. It's simply the lack of true, comforting foliage I was expressing remorse about. Sure, wait for the leaves, but Partners will still be looming high above the shrubs, and Dole Whippers in Adventureland will still be able to wave to TTA riders in Tomorrowland. The lack of a suitable barrier is what disappoints me...and, as the video screenshot displays, there isn't one planned.

Brian

Anyone know if they are redoing the stage in front of the castle with this project?

Dream Along with Mickey is going dark after Spring break season and if I recall correctly, a permit was filed for work on the stage. No specific plans were announced to my knowledge.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Dream Along with Mickey is going dark after Spring break season and if I recall correctly, a permit was filed for work on the stage. No specific plans were announced to my knowledge.

I thought Dream Along with Mickey was going down for the installation of the Turret Towers. During that installation the speakers and lights will not be available to support the show.

Brian

I thought Dream Along with Mickey was going down for the installation of the Turret Towers. During that installation the speakers and lights will not be available to support the show.

That may be the reason for the show going dark. @danlb_2000 might be able to shed some light on the subject. If I recall correctly, a permit was filed for stage work.

bhodge

im not clear what was the objective in replacing all of the simpler - cleaner lampposts with the slightly overdone new ones. Not sure Im feeling all the little arms sticking out everywhere now. I thought I liked them before they started multiplying and multiplying

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom