Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Martiyoman

I don't know about the plans or the process Disney used and I do not now or have I ever built a fence. All I know is on a tour of the area after it was opened to the public I saw several issues still to be corrected. The peeling fence being the most obvious but not the biggest issue. Will all of the issues be fixed? Yes of course. My issue is the quality control of the project by Disney.

I never built anything but I have had to sign off on major large projects involving multiple buildings and infrastructure in by long career. The Hub work is shoddy.
Yeah, and I've had sign offs too, and usually I sign off on my projects prior to the public seeing it. Disney didn't have that luxury. I get it could've gone better, but as you say, the problems WILL be fixed, it's not like they'll accept that for what it is.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yeah, and I've had sign offs too, and usually I sign off on my projects prior to the public seeing it. Disney didn't have that luxury. I get it could've gone better, but as you say, the problems WILL be fixed, it's not like they'll accept that for what it is.

Why not? TDO has proven that the average WDW customer will take whatever is given and gush about it's the MOST MAGICal ever...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I don't know about the plans or the process Disney used and I do not now or have I ever built a fence. All I know is on a tour of the area after it was opened to the public I saw several issues still to be corrected. The peeling fence being the most obvious but not the biggest issue. Will all of the issues be fixed? Yes of course. My issue is the quality control of the project by Disney.

I never built anything but I have had to sign off on major large projects involving multiple buildings and infrastructure in by long career. The Hub work is shoddy.

The WalMart crowd disagrees with us, The new hub is the most MAGICal EVER...

Padraig

So that's cool...they got the same people from the artistic rendering to come back for a live picture.
View attachment 86498

When this project was first announced I wasn't happy. The plans gave me serious concern for the hub's character. Sure, it's can be a nightmare at times, but it was still a picture postcard area for the most part and for me, the heart of the MK.

Then the photos of the construction started appearing; the little details that showed up were looking great (same as the work in DD/DS) and I started to get hope that my initial reaction was premature. Now, thanks to this, I've gone back around again. That renders looks horrible - it's a vast space of emptiness that destroys the previous intimacy of the area.

Sage of Time

Main-Street-USA_Full_23599.jpg
This picture really shows off the new staging for Main Street.... I think the flatness of the Hub allows for MSUSA to be drawn forward, almost closer to the castle. It's a weird, but good effect.

Can't wait for those trees to grow in and bloom.
Fully? I'll bet not ;)
Oooooh. Dang. What do you think will me missing at that point?
I'm not going to judge the final product yet. Still two planters to be built out and landscaped, there's a mix of old and new lighting, the trees aren't leafed, there's a scrim on main street, and the pavement is still all mish-mashed.

Stop. too logical. Can't have that, here.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
This picture really shows off the new staging for Main Street.... I think the flatness of the Hub allows for MSUSA to be drawn forward, almost closer to the castle. It's a weird, but good effect.

Why is that a good thing, in your opinion? The way I see it, the areas should be separate. Anything that forces them closer together is a negative. Cinderella Castle is not designed to be part of MSUSA. That's why, as much as the new hub is an improvement, I do wish the trees they've added were a bit fuller/larger.

Sage of Time

Why is that a good thing, in your opinion? The way I see it, the areas should be separate. Anything that forces them closer together is a negative. Cinderella Castle is not designed to be part of MSUSA. That's why, as much as the new hub is an improvement, I do wish the trees they've added were a bit fuller/larger.
Thematically, yes, I agree that they should be separate. But with the old hub (2005-2014 Hub) it looked as if there were a massive empty concrete space between MSUSA and everything else. Just empty, dead space. Now, with the new Hub, it appears that that dead space has been turned into a sort of intermediate zone between Main Street and the Castle. There's less dead space and more of a thematic buffer.

And yes, MORE TREES PLEASE.

jakeman

I think I get where he's coming from, but it has to do what you see the hub as a part of, not the castle. Is it part of the castle forecourt or is it a town roundabout for Main Street.

If it's the latter then I can see where pulling it forward could be seen as a good thing.

Sage of Time

I think I get where he's coming from, but it has to do what you see the hub as a part of, not the castle. Is it part of the castle forecourt or is it a town roundabout for Main Street.

If it's the latter then I can see where pulling it forward could be seen as a good thing.
It's very much about it being the latter. :) The Hub now feels like an open city park, like in Savannah or some other old city. when walking from Main Street into the Hub there's a very subtle change in mood and sound and it's appreciated.

DrewmanS

The forced perspective of Main Street works both ways. As you enter the park, the forced perspective gives you the feeling that main street is longer and the castle is larger and farther away. As you exit the park (tired at the end of a long day) looking back down main street, the train station looks closer. It feels like a shorter walk out of the park. With opening up the sight lines from the castle, this effect become more prominent.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The forced perspective of Main Street works both ways. As you enter the park, the forced perspective gives you the feeling that main street is longer and the castle is larger and farther away. As you exit the park (tired at the end of a long day) looking back down main street, the train station looks closer. It feels like a shorter walk out of the park. With opening up the sight lines from the castle, this effect become more prominent.

Only if youre standing someplace between the castle and the partners statue. Otherwise, you are coming at MS from off angles and that effect is lost. Yes, MS looks shorter from the Caseys side to the Train Station. That's not what we were discussing. We were discussing wether or not the hub should be drawn into MS, or be its own separate area.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
If only trees did that thing that other plants do. You know. Get leaves and grow bigger. Alas, we're stuck with what we have.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
It's why the trees are in planters - so they CANNOT grow, Horrors a castle projection might be blocked by a mature tree...
The trees in some of the areas, yes, are in small planters. Others are in larger ones, so they will fill out a little over time. They will not become California Redwoods, sure, but they will grow some, and the leaves will fill in to increase their visual impact.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom