Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Pick145

To all the people worrying about the turf, I've practiced on FieldTurf in the 110 degree heat of summer through cold upstate NY winter. Its about 10-20 degrees warmer on the turf than on regular grass, no warmer than being on asphalt. While being slightly greener than real grass, it looks and feels very similar. On top of all that, it is a very forgiving surface to stand on, and will be a much needed break for your knees and feet.

HRHPrincessAriel

To all the people worrying about the turf, I've practiced on FieldTurf in the 110 degree heat of summer through cold upstate NY winter. Its about 10-20 degrees warmer on the turf than on regular grass, no warmer than being on asphalt. While being slightly greener than real grass, it looks and feels very similar. On top of all that, it is a very forgiving surface to stand on, and will be a much needed break for your knees and feet.
Funny. My kids HATE practicing on the turf. They beg to go on the parking lot. They'd rather the pain on the knees/legs vs the heat of turf

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Funny. My kids HATE practicing on the turf. They beg to go on the parking lot. They'd rather the pain on the knees/legs vs the heat of turf
My son plays baseball all summer, 100 degrees and above, high humidity andasside from it being a bit hotter than grass, no big deal. The minute the sun begins to set, the heat dissipates and is very much like grass.

Let's face it, most will be there at night, extra heat will not be an issue.

Next Big Thing

It's been in use even though it's not complete. Not sure when they plan to finish it.
Slow and steady. There's minimal progress on it as each night passes. 3 out of 4 gates are installed now (blocking backstage areas), only 1 is in use though. The other 2 aren't finished enough yet to be put into use.

Vegas Disney Fan

While others think they didn't hide them because it was cheaper, I bet they didn't hide them because of how frequently shows and parades go through the area. It's not like Tokyo Sea where it's a nightly thing. There are 1-2 parades daily plus the 2-3 shows during the day at the castle, plus two night shows. The darn thing would be going up and down all the time.

Better to leave them fixed in place. They made the right choice.

That would make sense but it still seems they could look a lot better, hopefully they just aren't finished. I really like everything else they've done in the hub but the towers just look plain and out of place considering everything else is so detailed.

SDisney90

I agree, I've played soccer on turf and it doesn't bother me at all. Though I do prefer real grass, it's all the same in my eyes. I understand why the turf is placed there as well. I'm a landscaper, and I know the damage of a few people walking/standing on grass for a few minutes/hours can do..Now multiply that by the thousands and you have a matted down "lawn". Pain in the *** to maintain afterwards, and it will just create a huge mess with kids kicking and pulling grass out and throwing it at their siblings and who knows who else.

roj2323

From Friday afternoon (2/20)

Click to enlarge...
I find it interesting that they seem to have put a top on the box that's surrounding the partners statue. I wonder if they took the opportunity to refurbish the statue and didn't want anyone knowing it was missing.

As always, Thank you Photoflight for posting.

photoflight

Big contrast to what it looked like in the late 80s.

SCAN_0279-3500L-L.jpg

Brian

Big contrast to what it looked like in the late 80s.

SCAN_0279-3500L-L.jpg

I may be in the minority, but I'm glad the in-wall benches are gone. They seem too modern for the Main Street/Medieval theme of the hub. Not to mention there's not much color (and not just because that's a black and white photo ;)).

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom