Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Cesar R M

No. They have a simple but themed base mounted in concrete. Obviously unfortunately permanent. Some of the walls in front of Crystal Palace are reduced to only three feet now and it is easy to see the features as well as the artificial grass.
I found this interesting.
Its like they did it, so the people in the restaurant could see the hourly shows on the castle.
the lowered walls are like ... waist height wise.

Cesar R M

I had hoped the fake turf areas would be more like the modern football artificial turf surfaces.... sadly it looks like the same material from Fantasia Gardens mini-golf. It just looks out of place with the rest of the work they did to the hub.

But speaking of the 'real turf'... that sod is not looking good on the west side of the installation. Its what 1-2 weeks old? Is it the cold weather that's hurting it?
you mean this area?

pardon for the ducks (ps, this is infront of the crystal buffet)
20150210_171723.jpg

20150210_171726.jpg

20150210_171729.jpg

(note the wall size on the last picture)

Brian

So the rails on the faux bridge, are those permanent? Or are they gonna change them out for the detailed rails that went around the rest of the area?

Definitely temporary. Past pictures show railings sitting in the area, and knowing how "foolish" (to put it nicely) some guests are, they won't leave those flimsy railings there much longer.

I can see it now: careless moms or dads letting their kids sit on those flimsy railings when suddenly...

hpyhnt 1000

Some thoughts after looking at the pictures (thanks Steve!):
  • Plants are being staged for installation on the East side. Also note the addition of larger shrubs to help screen the Tomorrowland Terrace , and another large tree next to the Tomorrowland bridge.
  • You can see orange spray paint lines in some pictures marking where flowerbeds will be planted.
  • Artificial turf looks just that: artificial. The color is just that little bit off and it has a strange sheen to it. Hopefully it looks better in person because it's rather lackluster in the pics.
  • Parade/show lights in the fountain planters are, let's be honest, a real eyesore. Doesn't matter how much "go away green" paint they put on them - they stick out badly.
  • Gates are starting to be installed on the railings for the West viewing area.

Fake grass makes sense, people are going to be standing on it every night.

But

Why are there no new trees that aren't 4ft tall topiaries? Seriously, this is an issue. I get that mature trees is asking for too much this day and age but surely we can compromise in between?

Quite a few large, relatively mature Live Oaks have been planted in and along the Hub area, 7 by my count at this stage with more likely to come. There have also been quite a few other smaller trees planted along the moat and in the rear of the viewing areas.

I had hoped the fake turf areas would be more like the modern football artificial turf surfaces.... sadly it looks like the same material from Fantasia Gardens mini-golf. It just looks out of place with the rest of the work they did to the hub.

But speaking of the 'real turf'... that sod is not looking good on the west side of the installation. Its what 1-2 weeks old? Is it the cold weather that's hurting it?

Give the real sod some time. It's only been down for a couple weeks and the colder weather certainly isn't helping it grow.

SpaceMountain75

Definitely temporary. Past pictures show railings sitting in the area, and knowing how "foolish" (to put it nicely) some guests are, they won't leave those flimsy railings there much longer.

I can see it now: careless moms or dads letting their kids sit on those flimsy railings when suddenly...
Thanks!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Isn't the current phase the bulk of it, which should be done next week?
I hope Walt & Mickey are unboxed soon.

Yeah, the part that is being finished now is the biggest part. They also have to do the two paths highlighted below, I don't believe these have been started yet. They also have to do the new control towers that are going to be themed to the castle. There were also permits recently for work on the ramps up to the castle.

Capture.JPG

Goofyernmost

Yeah, the part that is being finished now is the biggest part. They also have to do the two paths highlighted below, I don't believe these have been started yet. They also have to do the new control towers that are going to be themed to the castle. There were also permits recently for work on the ramps up to the castle.

View attachment 83846
OMG, are you telling me that they are putting either a giant banjo or an even bigger humming bird in the hub??? ;)

SpaceMountain75

I'm really trying to keep my hopes down for this being done by mid-September. A part of me thinks that it's possible, but then the other just says it'll be wall-mania still. Either way I think the hub is going to look fantastic completed!

MagicHappens1971

Apparently Disney feels a lot of people will. If they don't want to preschedule for the reasons listed here, and there are openings as an "extra FP+" an hour or two before the show, I'd happily book it. Just have to see how it plays out. There's a lot of space here.
to be honest I've never made a fourth FP, ever.

Cesar R M

View attachment 83846
I only remember that they already walled the areas in yellow.
The control tower (looks temporary) is still used on the right side.
Untitled-1.jpg

btw, these are the areas where I took the photos.

RED = the duckies
GREEN = the ones of the hub planters looking to the castle (the area with the waist sized wall)
and PURPLE = the partners area, looking at the castle.

during parades, there is a "bypass" that goes near the YELLOW area towards tomorrow land terrace.
because the hub goes into a complete utter grindlock (except on the left side of the hub, where they have a specific area to walk )

heres the left yellow area photo:

DSC_0279.JPG
from the bridge to Liberty Tavern/ Sleepy Hollow

DSC_0280.JPG

Opposite side, during festival of fantasy:
DSC_0422.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom