Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

Sage of Time

I would think that it won't be used, save for at night for entertainment viewing... ...and then they'd vacuum it?

I wonder what their process will be to keep the field turf "clean". I know WDW doesn't sell things like chewing gum on property, but plenty finds its way into the parks. And though they do a good job of either scraping or power washing it off the cement, I wonder how they'll keep it out of the faux grass.

dhall

Will there be shirts as well?
Eventually, but not for several years. There's probably a spreadsheet somewhere that converts nostalgia into dollars and that'll tell some cube dweller when the optimum time for retro-ladder based clothing items to be released for maximum profitability.

We'll know we've hit rock bottom when they paint the ladder red, spawning a 500 page war between dusters crying that they've completely ruined the ladder they grew up with and gloomers insisting that a coat of cheap paint on a flimsy step-stool just can't possibly live up to the magnificence of the original.

note2001

I believe the new ladder will be a stand up kind of ladder, and not shrug the chores before it.
My experience with off-shored ladders:

Me: Did you get to that job to paint all the red spots with blue?
Ladder: Yes.
M: How's it going?
L: It's done.
M: Wow, that was fast. Let me look.
L: Can I mark the job as done?
M: Let me look it over first.
L: Okaaaay...
M: Ummm, L? You didn't change anything?
L: No.
M: Why not? The job isn't done.
L: Yes. The job is done.
M: No, none of the red was painted over.
L: That's because there was no red. That's orange.
M: #Facepalm. Give me the brush.
L: Can I mark the job as done?

Last edited:

roj2323

I wonder what their process will be to keep the field turf "clean". I know WDW doesn't sell things like chewing gum on property, but plenty finds its way into the parks. And though they do a good job of either scraping or power washing it off the cement, I wonder how they'll keep it out of the faux grass.
it's easier to remove from plastic products than you would think. They just use orange solve and a rag. It comes right up provided it hasn't been there for a week.
De-Solv.jpg

JediMasterMatt

Where are these castle turrets that everyone keeps talking about supposed to go? I only knew of the new ones built over by New Fantasyland.

New tech booths to replace the pagodas either side of the stage.

You know, the things that always looked like restrooms to the left and right of the Castle; but, actually weren't.

Disney is smart enough now to dump tons of money into theming rest rooms, so there is no confusion.

<pun may be intended in my choice of words in the previous statement>

Brian

You can see them at the top of this picture from the Disney animation of the new hub.

View attachment 83460

Is anyone else not crazy about the idea of turrets in the hub? My main argument would be that they don't fit with the Main Street theme, but I suppose a castle doesn't either. It just seems odd.

The ones at TDL are rather "in your face", so I hope they take a different (more subtle) direction with these.

I normally don't really mind big changes, but so many of my childhood memories are from the hub. Although, as with all projects, I will reserve judgement until completion of the project.

note2001

Is anyone else not crazy about the idea of turrets in the hub? My main argument would be that they don't fit with the Main Street theme, but I suppose a castle doesn't either. It just seems odd.

The ones at TDL are rather "in your face", so I hope they take a different (more subtle) direction with these.

I normally don't really mind big changes, but so many of my childhood memories are from the hub. Although, as with all projects, I will reserve judgement until completion of the project.

I look at the turrets as marking invisible gates to the castle. The buildings they've been using until now seemed misplaced in design & felt like they complimented the rose garden more than the castle. (Don't get me wrong, I love the rose garden!)

Monorail_Red_77

You know, the things that always looked like restrooms to the left and right of the Castle; but, actually weren't.

Disney is smart enough now to dump tons of money into theming rest rooms, so there is no confusion.

<pun may be intended in my choice of words in the previous statement>

The tops of the old tech booths always reminded me of a boats sun shade thingy. :D

Maybe they can put some toilets in the turrets. ;) I can see an Abbot and Costello "who's on first routine coming.... any minute now.... any minute....

Abbot: Where are the toilets.
Costello: They're over there in the turrets.
Abbot: What toilets. I don't see no toilets over there.
Costello: Right there. See those Turrets?
Abbot: Oh yea I see those Turrets. But, where are the toilets.
Costello: The toilets are in the Turrets.
Abbot: Ok. You say Turret I say Toilet. But, where are they.
Costello: (face palm) :banghead:

Goofyernmost

As you said, at what point was a Castle at the end of Main Street a part of the theme. When you get past the end of MSUSA you have entered a different place. One of fantasy and dreams... it is well within that reality.

Childhood memories are notoriously undependable at best. Go back to the place that you grew up in and tell me it doesn't look smaller, less childlike and so on. We tend to rely on our young memories way to much, especially when referring to WDW or DL or any of the other places one might have seen in those early days. Perception is key to memories.

PhotoDave219

The tops of the old tech booths always reminded me of a boats sun shade thingy. :D

Maybe they can put some toilets in the turrets. ;) I can see an Abbot and Costello "who's on first routine coming.... any minute now.... any minute....

Abbot: Where are the toilets.
Costello: They're over there in the turrets.
Abbot: What toilets. I don't see no toilets over there.
Costello: Right there. See those Turrets?
Abbot: Oh yea I see those Turrets. But, where are the toilets.
Costello: The toilets are in the Turrets.
Abbot: Ok. You say Turret I say Toilet. But, where are they.
Costello: (face palm) :banghead:

I've been told it's a pain in the to get up in those control booths.

PhotoDave219

My biggest problem with Fieldturf is the fact that it gets hotter than regular grass. It doesn't really dissipate heat as quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if the overall effect increases temperatures a couple of degrees in the hub during the dog days. That might be conservative based on this paper: http://turf.uark.edu/turfhelp/archives/021109.html

Nothing like burning your knees because of molten field turf. Never mind the cancer risk.

PhotoDave219

I know what they are, with respect. I knew two years ago. Thats what worries me.

I hope the "synthetic turf" is good.

Time will tell.

Sports turf.... Field turf... Etc is a horrible idea. There will be backlash & blowback once the public finds out that cancer is linked to it.

Do these people ever think anything thru?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom