Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

ToTBellHop

Finally, a bonus photo. When these hub redevelopment photos were taken, Bob Iger and Tom Staggs were among a dozen plus managers and executives present for an outdoor briefing in front of The Crystal Palace "bridge" on the progress of construction. Not to interrupt the privacy of their meeting, the below photo (Iger) was taken as the group headed off to Main Street and into the backstage areas.

View attachment 82583
Now, there's a beautiful man. Do you think he's wondering "why am I, the CEO of this company, being shown new trees in a theme park?" I imagine he has bigger fish to fry. Disney Springs makes sense. But these are new shrubs and fountains. Does he also get to try out new urinals first?

PrincessNelly_NJ

You know... when I was visiting in October, when it took me 35-40 minutes to get from Stitch to the entrance of Adventureland because of the crowds and narrow walkways due to construction (and because they closed the bridge from tomorrowland for wishes viewing only:mad:)...

mentally, I was cursing out TDO... okay I may have accidentally verbally let something slip out:rolleyes:... But seeing how beautiful and well done this is... It was clearly worth it. It adds a very nice character to the hub.

Between this, Disney springs, Peter Pan's new queue, Memento Mori, and everything going on in AK, I'm so impressed at the quality. I hope they keep it up and we see this same quality go into the new attractions as well.

articos

No. They still have to extend the new "outer ring path" to the walkways of Liberty Square and Tomorrowland (Cosmic Rays). They also have the new turret structures going in, though I have not seen any updates on those in some time. I could see the new areas built over the moat as being completed, but I doubt they'd have the entire hub completed until at least April-May.
Longer than that. Worth it when it will finally be finished, however.

Will any of those twinkling fire fly lights return?
Yes. With some upgrades.

Brian

Now, there's a beautiful man. Do you think he's wondering "why am I, the CEO of this company, being shown new trees in a theme park?" I imagine he has bigger fish to fry. Disney Springs makes sense. But these are new shrubs and fountains. Does he also get to try out new urinals first?

If I were CEO of the company that owns and operates the #1 most visited Theme Park in the world year after year, I'd personally make sure that those were the most beautiful darn trees in the State of Florida.

Unplugged

Maybe more to it than what we think......<add wavy lines as we switch to dream mode>

WDI on phone with Bob Iger....
WDI: No Mr. Iger, we needed approval on trees, not more design work.
WDI: No Sir, trees. The tall plants with foliage. You know, they have leaves, change color in the fall, etc.
WDI: No Mr. Iger, we aren't replacing the castle with an oil rig. That was a structure Imagineered to look like a tree. They all aren't that big.
WDI: No, trees are living plants, as I said with leaves. Yes like the leaves vacuumed from your estate lawn.
WDI: No Mr. Iger, they won't get more the 40' tall, we'll prune them so they don't interfere with the projectors.
WDI: Yes the trees will be pruned, you can't prune the people.
WDI: Because trees are plants, it's ok to trim them up.....yes that's right, like a hair cut.
WDI: That's right, because they grow. They are not concrete or steel, they are wood.
WDI: No we don't have to build them from wood, trees are actually where wood comes from. Right, when they get big.
WDI: You know what Mr. Iger? Perhaps you can stop by and we can show you the trees to see what you think. I believe you'll like them as they grow with little to NO cost. Yes, that is nice isn't it! They do it on their own from free rain & sunshine.
WDI: Tell you what, as long as you're stopping by, you can be the first to try the new restrooms too.
WDI: No, there won't be any filthy park guests using them. We haven't opened them yet.
WDI: OK, great. See at Magic Kingdom when you arrive.

hpyhnt 1000

Looking again at the pics posted by @wdwmagic, you can see new show/parade path lighting being installed in the ring planters. Wonder if we will see those used to supplement the fireworks and projection shows...
image.jpg

image.jpg

SpaceMountain75

Maybe more to it than what we think......<add wavy lines as we switch to dream mode>

WDI on phone with Bob Iger....
WDI: No Mr. Iger, we needed approval on trees, not more design work.
WDI: No Sir, trees. The tall plants with foliage. You know, they have leaves, change color in the fall, etc.
WDI: No Mr. Iger, we aren't replacing the castle with an oil rig. That was a structure Imagineered to look like a tree. They all aren't that big.
WDI: No, trees are living plants, as I said with leaves. Yes like the leaves vacuumed from your estate lawn.
WDI: No Mr. Iger, they won't get more the 40' tall, we'll prune them so they don't interfere with the projectors.
WDI: Yes the trees will be pruned, you can't prune the people.
WDI: Because trees are plants, it's ok to trim them up.....yes that's right, like a hair cut.
WDI: That's right, because they grow. They are not concrete or steel, they are wood.
WDI: No we don't have to build them from wood, trees are actually where wood comes from. Right, when they get big.
WDI: You know what Mr. Iger? Perhaps you can stop by and we can show you the trees to see what you think. I believe you'll like them as they grow with little to NO cost. Yes, that is nice isn't it! They do it on their own from free rain & sunshine.
WDI: Tell you what, as long as you're stopping by, you can be the first to try the new restrooms too.
WDI: No, there won't be any filthy park guests using them. We haven't opened them yet.
WDI: OK, great. See at Magic Kingdom when you arrive.
win.jpg

tirian

My bet's on the fountains, the firefly lights, and the street lamps synchronizing with the fireworks/projection shows.

Ah yes, the projection shows that are nearly incomprehensible unless you're directly in front the castle, at which point you can't see the fireworks.

If Davison were really as good as he thinks he is, he'd make sure the images mapped onto the castle stayed large enough to see.

mm52200

Ah yes, the projection shows that are nearly incomprehensible unless you're directly in front the castle, at which point you can't see the fireworks.

If Davison were really as good as he thinks he is, he'd make sure the images mapped onto the castle stayed large enough to see.
Steve Davison isn't directly involved with our castle projection show in any way. The only things he's responsible for creating at WDW are Wishes and Festival of Fantasy Parade. So Davison is pretty great and don't knock him for the things hes not involved with.

hpyhnt 1000

I don't believe Davidson was involved in the projection shows. But your larger point is true. It's one reason I still think the first version of the show (Magic, Memories, and You) was the best. Apart from the gimmicky inclusion of guest photos, it did a better job of using the castle in the show rather than just using it to project images and bits of animation.

cjk0318

Steve Davison isn't directly involved with our castle projection show in any way. The only things he's responsible for creating at WDW are Wishes and Festival of Fantasy Parade. So Davison is pretty great and don't knock him for the things hes not involved with.
You are correct, two other well known Imagineers were involved in in the creation of our 2 projection shows.

tirian

Ah, sorry about that. He's overseeing the projections in DL right now and I wrongly assumed he'd handled the MK shows too. I never pay attention to Entertainment producers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom