Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Tuesday, Feb 10. The hub redevelopment construction walls have been taken down in front of the Crystal Palace restaurant. There is only a low barrier wall across the new "bridge" on the west side, in front of the Crystal Palace. First photo is the overview in front of the Crystal Palace, for orientation.

IMG_4783.JPG

The below photo was taken looking to the right from the above photo, over the low barrier wall onto the new "bridge" area. The area to the left (west) of this bridge has the almost completed landscaping shown in the following photos. The area to the right (east) of this bridge towards Main Street only has rows and rows of plants in containers, staged for future planting.

IMG_4780.JPG

The following photos are in sequence walking from the Crystal Palace, across the white bridge towards Adventureland entrance, and back towards Main Street. Bermuda grass has been installed in the open areas.

IMG_4784.JPG

IMG_4785.JPG

IMG_4786.JPG

IMG_4787.JPG

IMG_4788.JPG

The two fountains are closer to the hub. These photos are of the fountain being installed on the west side of the hub.

IMG_4793.JPG

IMG_4795.JPG

The below photo was taken from Casey's Corner construction wall, looking towards the Partners statue. You can see the fountain in the center of the photo, which will be very close to the hub street.

IMG_4802.JPG

Brian

Photo update as of Tuesday, Feb 10. The hub redevelopment construction walls have been taken down in front of the Crystal Palace restaurant. There is only a low barrier wall across the new "bridge" on the west side, in front of the Crystal Palace. First photo is the overview in front of the Crystal Palace, for orientation.

It's beautiful; thank you for sharing!

I'm so glad there's trees and shrubbery.

WDWtraveler

Continued photo update as of Tuesday, Feb 10. A couple of photos of trees on the west side of the hub, in the area not fully landscaped yet, still behind construction walls.

IMG_4796.JPG

IMG_4797.JPG

The area near the Tomorrowland Terrace restrooms, between The Plaza Restaurant and Tomorrowland Terrace restaurant. It appears the structure in front of the restrooms will be a tall, large planter, to hide the restroom entrance. A new concrete pebble floor was poured for the entrance to the restroom, seen here on the left. Its brown/beige color and texture matches the new areas around the hub.

IMG_4792.JPG

Finally, a bonus photo. When these hub redevelopment photos were taken, Bob Iger and Tom Staggs were among a dozen plus managers and executives present for an outdoor briefing in front of The Crystal Palace "bridge" on the progress of construction. Not to interrupt the privacy of their meeting, the below photo (Iger) was taken as the group headed off to Main Street and into the backstage areas.

IMG_4790.JPG

Brian

Finally, a bonus photo. When these hub redevelopment photos were taken, Bob Iger and Tom Staggs were among a dozen plus managers and executives present for an outdoor briefing in front of The Crystal Palace "bridge" on the progress of construction. Not to interrupt the privacy of their meeting, the below photo (Iger) was taken as the group headed off to Main Street and into the backstage areas.

View attachment 82583

Where's his Mickey hat?!

Victor Kelly

I would suppose the planter near the Plaza restaurant was removed for construction equipment. Now that most of the construction is done, they can re-install the planter. The photos I see of the new hub, I like. But I really want to see the finished version. In all seriousness, the area was a bottle neck. But they are opening it up some to help the crowd woes.

flyerjab

Continued photo update as of Tuesday, Feb 10. A couple of photos of trees on the west side of the hub, in the area not fully landscaped yet, still behind construction walls.

View attachment 82578

View attachment 82579

The area near the Tomorrowland Terrace restrooms, between The Plaza Restaurant and Tomorrowland Terrace restaurant. It appears the structure in front of the restrooms will be a tall, large planter, to hide the restroom entrance. A new concrete pebble floor was poured for the entrance to the restroom, seen here on the left. Its brown/beige color and texture matches the new areas around the hub.

View attachment 82580

View attachment 82583

You are the man @WDWtraveler!! These pictures are excellent.

Again, I am confused by the tall tree-ish looking things I am seeing around the outer ring. God forbid one of those endangered relics appear where it is rumored one may sit upon to rest.

Rescue Ranger

WOW!!! I am so impressed. It looks like the birds are happy the water is back :happy:
Fountains! Actual FOUNTAINS....not planters!?!?! Really is looking beautiful and I'm happy in 64 days I will be able to see this mostly open and work completed.

Though I will say, I am looking forward to when the time comes WDW is (mostly) construction free. It's been non stop pretty much since New Fantasyland. Right now its more or less the entire park under work.

halltd

Though I will say, I am looking forward to when the time comes WDW is (mostly) construction free. It's been non stop pretty much since New Fantasyland. Right now its more or less the entire park under work.

I'd be totally OK if Tomorrowland went down for a lengthy rehab next. Ya know, for when Alien Encounter makes a triumphant return!

For the hub, I echo everyone's happiness regarding this project so far. I admit when it was announced, I didn't think they were going to do it justice...much less plant this many trees. But, I have to say it looks amazing so far!

ABQ

View attachment 82583
You rock @WDWtraveler , thanks so much for all the updates. I'm going to take up a collection so you can bring one of these next time to get some audio of the briefing.
parabolic1-480x330.jpg

Unplugged

I'm completely impressed by the fact that the budget was maintained for the plants. After seeing how things were cut for so many years, I truly did not believe that the hub, regardless of it's importance to the park design and as an icon for WDW itself, would be created in a way that reflected the hard work and designs of WDI. As history is my guiding light on this, I thought fo sure there would be no trees and little if any uniqueness to the landscaping.

...but IMHO, this is truly looking fabulous and is "worthy" of the importance the hub carries in the overall park design. (In fact, it really makes some of the areas we haven't been complaining about, worth complaining about in hopes of a little TLC!)

Unplugged

So is the whole hub redo to be complete by the end of February or just one section?

No. They still have to extend the new "outer ring path" to the walkways of Liberty Square and Tomorrowland (Cosmic Rays). They also have the new turret structures going in, though I have not seen any updates on those in some time. I could see the new areas built over the moat as being completed, but I doubt they'd have the entire hub completed until at least April-May.

Thoughts from any insiders on this?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom