Main Street U.S.A. hub redevelopment at the Magic Kingdom

danlb_2000

Premium Member

ToTBellHop

That seems like a reasonable timescale for Disney. It has to progress relatively slowly and in sections since they can't have the hub as a giant dirt mound with walls around it at any one time. Instead will have small dirt mounds with limited areas of walls for the next 18 months :)

The crowd issues at the MK will get worse before they'll get better.

HM Spectre

I absolutely hate losing green space but it's hard to deny this is a needed change. As fun as it is getting trampled half to death going to and from the fireworks on a busy night, it really isn't. I won't mind being able to navigate without a motorized scooter running me over or getting stuck in a half-hour bottleneck shoulder-to-shoulder with a bunch of guests in need of a shower.

There's just too much that goes on in the hub right now to handle today's crowds, so it makes sense. I just hope they do it well, tastefully and throw a little bit of green in there for us old fashioned types who don't want a big parking lot in front of the castle.

NormC

I think this is a great plan. It seems to offer something for everyone. Better traffic flow, more capacity. Two new bridges to keep people moving. A faster exit for those that bail after the fireworks leaving more space for those of us who chose to stay. Landscaping and fountains. More viewing area for WIshes. Yes we may lose a couple trees, some may be just relocated or replaced with shorter varieties but the moat remains intact although narrowed at the Main street side of the hub. You can't expect them to put in new attractions and increase park capacity if the people cannot move through this current bottleneck.

lazyboy97o

No question that this needs to be be done, my query is will it ever work?

In the average guests mind, MK is the alpha and omega of the parks in WDW. Any trip to WDW, no matter how short, must include MK. When convention guests are in town they think MK. I don't know if that dynamic will ever change no matter what they build at the other 3 parks.
Maybe it is more than just additions elsewhere, but further changes in ticketing structures that encourage people to go to and stay at the other parks. The gap between Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySEA is not nearly as large as that of the other Disneylands and their respective second gates.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
, but would it kill people to at least wait till it's finished before they completely rip at something?
Depends. Landscaping is a must have. First class too. Anything less in this location will be a grave error.

The more I see of the east bypass the more it looks cheap. It needs to match what's on the other side of the buildings.

This project needs doing. No doubting it. But it needs doing properly. And I won't comment on the Fastpass+ element.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There is the key point. There are flaws in WDW that should be worked on. But the few vocal malcontents whine about anything and everything and takes the focus off the important items.
...not to mention give anyone with a negative / realistic view of anything a bad name in the process.

I can't believe after all these years I'm agreeing with you :)

Soarin' Over Pgh

Depends. Landscaping is a must have. First class too. Anything less in this location will be a grave error.

The more I see of the east bypass the more it looks cheap. It needs to match what's on the other side of the buildings.

This project needs doing. No doubting it. But it needs doing properly. And I won't comment on the Fastpass+ element.

I agree.

I'm wondering what the MS bypasses are going to look like though. Are they going to make 'sidestreets' and actually theme them with storefronts/faux storefronts or will it literally be a lit walkway with nothing leading to the park entrance?

I'm rather fond of the photoshopped images a few pages back- I think it's a good idea and will hopefully cut down on congestion- but only if the side streets/bypasses are also done and done well enough for people to want to walk there on their way out instead of down MS.

People are sentimental, there's something about walking down MS at the end of a long day, it's closure on a (hopefully) fantastic day.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm wondering what the MS bypasses are going to look like though. Are they going to make 'sidestreets' and actually theme them with storefronts/faux storefronts or will it literally be a lit walkway with nothing leading to the park entrance?
From what I've seen more of a lit walkway with a bit of grass, planting and fencing.

wannab@dis

...not to mention give anyone with a negative / realistic view of anything a bad name in the process.

I can't believe after all these years I'm agreeing with you :)
We've agreed many times over the years. Maybe not in the majority, but it has happened. ;)

Where we disagree is when the focus is down in the weeds. Too often the realistic view is trampled by hyperbole and overt negative / alarmist viewpoint.

ToTBellHop

I agree.

I'm rather fond of the photoshopped images a few pages back- I think it's a good idea and will hopefully cut down on congestion- but only if the side streets/bypasses are also done and done well enough for people to want to walk there on their way out instead of down MS.

People are sentimental, there's something about walking down MS at the end of a long day, it's closure on a (hopefully) fantastic day.
Maybe it'll be dark and gloomy like Knockturn Alley, with creepers selling items that would be forbidden on Main Street, like alcohol and Captain America shields.

"Don't you DARE try to sneak into the FP+ viewing area for Disney Wishes+!"

Scuttle

This would not be needed if they would have added a couple of high demand E Tickets to the upper west end(frontierland expansion) and upper east end( the joke that is storybook circus). They don't get that high demand attractions can distribute crowds. Let's be real nothing will solve the problems in late December regardless, but for most of the year more high demand attractions would solve the problem.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

As usual, Martin speaks the truth.

Going beyond that, though, this project is completely consistent with so much of what Disney is actually working on these days -- getting more out of what's already there, rather than building new stuff. It's brilliant, if it works. Improve guest satisfaction, and therefore repeat business, by making it easier and more pleasant for guests to enjoy what is already in the parks. That's a lot cheaper than building new attractions, and probably decreases operations dollars rather than increasing them.

The theory (business person speak here, not guest speak) is that guests, particularly at MK, already do not do everything in the parks that they would like to do, in part because there isn't enough time to do it. New attractions are expensive, and will displace other activities, but not increase the amount of things people can enjoy. Instead, we have a project that makes getting around the park easier, allows more people to get a prime view of the fireworks and brand new parade, costs precious little (in comparison to a new attraction), and will allow a bunch of people to leave the park without the distaste of horrible crowding. Maybe the saved time lets them get in an extra ride or do a little more shopping. Maybe the improved viewing means they enjoy the fireworks/parade even more. And and easy exit vs getting trampled is a significant improvement.

Many have said that this is the kind of thing that happens when bean-counters run the show. But that's not right. This is what happens when efficiency is the prime motivator. For people like us, who want more and better attractions, it's disappointing. But from an operations standpoint, it's brilliant.

ToTBellHop

This would not be needed if they would have added a couple of high demand E Tickets to the upper west end(frontierland expansion) and upper east end( the joke that is storybook circus). They don't get that high demand attractions can distribute crowds. Let's be real nothing will solve the problems in late December regardless, but for most of the year more high demand attractions would solve the problem.
I don't think it's a lack of understanding. Disney isn't run by idiots. It's run by very intelligent people who want to produce the best guest ratings for the least money. In part, I can understand them. They approve a large sum of money for New Fantasyland and we see what is delivered by WDI. And we know how reviews of New Fantasyland are. I'm not sure I'd be eager to spend lots of money on new rides either. If I had just spent $80,000,000 on Mermaid, I might also be looking for cheaper ways to disperse crowds. Maybe if they could build rides at Universal Creative's prices, we'd get more than shrubs and toilets.

The Empress Lilly

This whole thread reminds me of the changes at The Land years ago. Back then the malcontents were screaming about losing the balloons - those glorious balloons, during the refurb and addition of Soarin. It was the end of the world - literally. When everything was finished, we had a great new addition, a very nice (one of the highest rated) counter service locations, and yes, the balloons were still there.

I bet this will be seen the same way in a few years. People will look back and laugh.
EPCOT's hub was similarly redone. Parts of the moat turned into walkways, extra facilities added, greenery removed.

We are still not laughing about it.

Scuttle

I don't think it's a lack of understanding. Disney isn't run by idiots. It's run by very intelligent people who want to produce the best guest ratings for the least money. In part, I can understand them. They approve a large sum of money for New Fantasyland and we see what is delivered by WDI. And we know how reviews of New Fantasyland are. I'm not sure I'd be eager to spend lots of money on new rides either. If I had just spent $80,000,000 on Mermaid, I might also be looking for cheaper ways to disperse crowds. Maybe if they could build rides at Universal Creative's prices, we'd get more than shrubs and toilets.
I didn't have to time to finish my post. My other point is they haven't added a legit E Ticket since 1992! I see your point about the FLE,but that's no excuse for the neglect in the 90's and 2000's. If they would have added ONE high demand ride every 7 years we wouldn't be in this spot I assert.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom