Main Street Fountain Removal

ToTBellHop

The DLP arcades are like champagne compared with the generic light beer bypasses in Florida.
Generic? That’s too kind.

1582130062391.jpeg

Epcot82Guy

There’s no need. It’s always sunny and pleasant in Central Florida while Paris gets a danger(eux) dusting of snow like twice a year which requires covered walkways. Thank goodness we don’t have to contend with the notoriously-awful Western European weather in Florida.

C'mon! For a mere $150, it snows many, many nights in MK in November and December!!! And you get Elsa's Love-Melted Afternoon Snowstorms daily in June-August!!!!

CraftyFox

I really hope they theme the backs of the Main Street facades. I doubt the bypass is going to be really “themed” at all though. Something like the Liberty Arcade is an impossible standard at this point. I don’t have that much faith in current WDI.

Last edited:

Bocabear

I really hope they theme the backs of the Main Street facades. I doubt the bypass is going to be really “themed” at all though. Something like the Liberty Arcade is an impossible standard at this point. I don’t have that much faith in current Imagineering.
To be fair, it is not Imagineers, but Accountanteers that are probably more to blame...I believe there is still talent but I think they are being bound and gagged by the money men....

MickeyLuv'r

Some customers powerwalk from fast pass to meet&grope. Others saunter about, smelling the roses, feasting their eyes on the visual richness and depth, immersing in the atmosphere. To the first, the paving over of the park-like hub for a concrete superhighway is a blessing, to the second, its a painful destruction.

and some customers power walk while taking in the WDW roses and atmosphere.

At one and the same time, I dislike the folks who needlessly clog up critical main walkways, yet I also miss the blood red roses that used to grace the exterior of the HM. (I noticed WDW recently did re-plant some roses near where they once were. Yeah!)

Even before the new castle show, I recall the hub getting scary crowded at night. I was baffled by the choice of adding a show that was so projection focused without major changes to the Hub area. I wasn't at all surprised they changed it.

So I'm of mixed feeling on changes to that area. I don't want it to be merely a boring paved parking lot, but I also don't think getting crushed 1970's stadium-panic style would be very magical either.

IMO, it should be possible to make the hub safer AND keep WDW charming. But I would be frustrated if I missed a pre-paid meal because too many eye-feasters completely choked my access to the area.

Last edited:

SplashJacket

If the Mainstreet Theather didn't get slashed the bypass would be open throughout the day
Not necessarily.

I'm actually intrigued now. Wasn't the theater going to be built off the eastern bypass and thus require it to be open throughout the day?

How would it have functioned to have a permanent attraction that is located in an area which is only located part of the day?

lazyboy97o

I'm actually intrigued now. Wasn't the theater going to be built off the eastern bypass and thus require it to be open throughout the day?

How would it have functioned to have a permanent attraction that is located in an area which is only located part of the day?
The area could have opened around showtime. While the theater as a concept was great, it would have been a box behind Main Street, not a build out of the land.

Creathir

To be fair, it is not Imagineers, but Accountanteers that are probably more to blame...I believe there is still talent but I think they are being bound and gagged by the money men....
Of course, somewhere, at some point in time, some imagineer pitched the idea of destroying FutureWorld for what is going in...

While I agree the accountants are holding things back, culpability is not purely on their shoulders.

Monorail_Red_77

As far as I’ve heard this work has nothing to do with adding a bypass there, just other work happening.
yes this is most likely just regular maintenance refurb work in the area. Like had happened here on the west side a few times over the recent years. After each refurb nothing changes as far as making it a better viewable walk for the guests. Though, I actually prefer the west bypass over the old east bypass because you get to see Mainstreet vehicles in their storage sheds. Of course the east bypass beautification looks better than the exposed parking lot you used to see. I can’t see them doing much with the west bypass as there is too much activity here. Like parade float routing backstage, Mainstreet vehicles and let’s not forget about the garbage dumpsters there too. I have taken this west bypass on several occasions during regular park hours as an exit. Though not as often as the east bypass both before and after the east bypass refurb a few years ago.

yensidtlaw1969

The area could have opened around showtime. While the theater as a concept was great, it would have been a box behind Main Street, not a build out of the land.
Am I the only one who doesn't lament the loss of the theater? The added capacity could have been nice in theory, but the building was overscaled and unattractive, and the indication was that the placemaking around it would have been insufficient to truly make it feel like it was part of Main Street instead of just plopped on a parking lot.

It didn't help that no production was announced for the theater - the abstract notion of this theater being built without any idea of what it was going to house didn't automatically excite me.

Personally, I've also yet to see a Disney Theme Park Production on the "Broadway-scale" style intended here that justified the time and effort it took to see it. I recognize that's not necessarily a popular opinion, but it pushed me further in the direction that this was gonna be a big, expensive project that was a poor fit for the Magic Kingdom that wouldn't actually suit the park's needs.

I was relieved to hear the theater funds were being reallocated - even though I was dubious that we would actually see the money go elsewhere. Have we ever figured out what that money was supposedly re-earmarked for?

SplashJacket

Personally, I've also yet to see a Disney Theme Park Production on the "Broadway-scale" style intended here that justified the time and effort it took to see it. I recognize that's not necessarily a popular opinion, but it pushed me further in the direction that this was gonna be a big, expensive project that was a poor fit for the Magic Kingdom that wouldn't actually suit the park's needs.

I'd argue that Big Band Beat over in TDS is a great Disney Theme Park Production on the "Broadway scale".

Entrance would have been opposite Center St.

Very interesting. I was under the impression it was going to go on the east side. Thanks!

SplashJacket

Alas . . . haven't seen it.

Should I head to Youtube, or wait with fingers crossed for the day I make it to Tokyo?

(There's a chance I finally get there in the next 3 years)

Up to you, I can assure you it is very very good. Definitely the best non-broadway Disney show I have seen, besides maybe a handful of the cruise shows. BatB on the Dream truly is exceptional, it was announced either right before or after the Mainstreet Theater at D23.

lazyboy97o

Am I the only one who doesn't lament the loss of the theater? The added capacity could have been nice in theory, but the building was overscaled and unattractive, and the indication was that the placemaking around it would have been insufficient to truly make it feel like it was part of Main Street instead of just plopped on a parking lot.

It didn't help that no production was announced for the theater - the abstract notion of this theater being built without any idea of what it was going to house didn't automatically excite me.

I was relieved to hear the theater funds were being reallocated - even though I was dubious that we would actually see the money go elsewhere. Have we ever figured out what that money was supposedly re-earmarked for?
I lament the loss of the potential for a decently sized addition to the park’s strained capacity. I most definitely do not lament the loss of the Riviera Theatre.

Hotamber

My fix would be to add bleachers and a fake astroturf baseball field in front of Casey's. The bleacher seating could be used for castle shows and would fit the 30s baseball theme of the area

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom