Main Street Bakery to Serve Starbucks Coffee

emich88

To be more specific, most of the stores are licensed stores and unfortunately not all licensed stores have to operate the same... Which is why some SB take gift cards, while others don't....

Our store in MK is licensed and will be operated different than the one in DCA. Also, from what we have been told, told expect to see you favorite red cups in the winter. We will serve the seasonal drinks, but we have been told we will not carry the actual red cups.

baymenxpac

I am sorry to say, but we will NOT honor starbucks gold rewards. We will take Starbucks gift cards, you can earn your points, but we will not honor any of the rewards.

To add on to this, guests can also pay by phone like you can at a SB store. So if you have the SB app on your phone, we are able to scan the bar code in order to pay. Also, we will not be selling gift cards.

Unless things have changed recently, all of our drinks will be considered a snack on the dinning plan. Along with the pastries. Since they are still working on the dinning plan specifics, this can change.

Also, test meals start the 15th. They will be to invited guests only.

just want to quote for the most useful post of this entire almost...gulp...80 page thread. thanks, @emich88. good info!

lego606

MagicBandit
To be more specific, most of the stores are licensed stores and unfortunately not all licensed stores have to operate the same... Which is why some SB take gift cards, while others don't....

Our store in MK is licensed and will be operated different than the one in DCA. Also, from what we have been told, told expect to see you favorite red cups in the winter. We will serve the seasonal drinks, but we have been told we will not carry the actual red cups.

Oh licenseeing. Any specific reason the DCA and MK ones are different, or is that just WDW vs DLR as usual?

emich88

Oh licenseeing. Any specific reason the DCA and MK ones are different, or is that just WDW vs DLR as usual?

I was told that the DCA one doesn't accept the rewards either... but either way, we weren't told why they are operated differently. But I would assume it is the WDW vs DLR thing. When we firsted started, we were trained by some of the DLR team... let's just say that their practices are a little different than ours lol

emich88

Some of the things of interest:

-We take SB gift cards, but we do not sell the SB gift cards and you can not reload them (and again, you can't redeem any rewards. But you still earn your points)
-No soda will be sold at this location (not even bottles like in DCA)
-The doorway between the Crystal Arts store and Bakery is still there. Originally it was going to be taken out. The door is suppose to be used as an exit only, as there will be only one entrance and four exits. (It is meant to be a "get in, get out" type of restaurant like Casey's and the Cone Shop)
-There will be co-branded merchandise
-It was clear that no discounts will be given, not even on the merchandise
-The prices of the drinks are expected to be airport prices
-There will be a total of six registers and two queues.. The first station the guests will come up to is the pastry case, then the registers, then to the end of the bar to pick up beverages
-It will be two stores in one, mirror imaged from each other

englanddg

One Little Spark...
So, will my double whip macchiato come with one or two doses of smarmy superiority?

Kidding aside, will they know how to make a Vanilla Steamer? It's my kids favorite drink. And one that isn't well known outside of the Seattle area (which I used to use to test baristas back when the coffee culture went nationwide in the mid-90s, and I was so upset because baristas were so bad on average...)

alissafalco

So, will my double whip macchiato come with one or two doses of smarmy superiority?

Kidding aside, will they know how to make a Vanilla Steamer? It's my kids favorite drink. And one that isn't well known outside of the Seattle area (which I used to use to test baristas back when the coffee culture went nationwide in the mid-90s, and I was so upset because baristas were so bad on average...)

Im curious also how this will be run. Will it be run by Disney or Starbucks? I worked at Starbucks in la Jolla, california for 3 years. All the starbucks baristas are trained and have to take coffee classes, and we went to "coffee school". So i wonder if these baristas will have the same guidlines and training.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Im curious also how this will be run. Will it be run by Disney or Starbucks? I worked at Starbucks in la Jolla, california for 3 years. All the starbucks baristas are trained and have to take coffee classes, and we went to "coffee school". So i wonder if these baristas will have the same guidlines and training.

Living in Seattle's Coffee Culture really spoiled me. I've not quite run into anything else like it in the US...

Heck, even the public high school I went to had a full service espresso bar in the food court (not kidding)!

emich88

This Starbucks is ran by Disney. We have a Starbucks general manager that overlooks the SB operations, but he cant do things like fire any one or really do much. We have Disney leaders, we work for Disney, not Starbucks... For training, we go through what a barista would go through at a real Starbucks. Except we are lucky and have a training lab, which is a mock store where we do 5 days of training with no guests. It's pretty amazing. There have been some Disney things that have been added to the training that is slightly different from what a real Starbucks does.

Also to englanddg, we will have recipe cards al over the store for the cast. We are not expected to know how to make all the drinks, as it's impossible. As long as we remember the basic recipe for how many shots of espresso go in each size and how many pumps of syrup go into each size, from there we will be set.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
This Starbucks is ran by Disney. We have a Starbucks general manager that overlooks the SB operations, but he cant do things like fire any one or really do much. We have Disney leaders, we work for Disney, not Starbucks... Also to englanddg, we will have recipe cards al over the store for the cast. We are not expected to know how to make all the drinks, as it's impossible. As long as we remember the basic recipe for how many shots of espresso go in each size and how many pumps of syrup go into each size, from there we will be set.

Yeah, that's what I suspected. No offense to you or Disney (cause I know you are doing the best)...but this is no better than a Starbucks franchise experience.

I want to stress, I mean that with no offense, as I stated previously, Seattle spoiled me. I lived there right as it was catching on nationwide (when Seattles Best and Starbucks were actually neck and neck, until Starbucks pulled ahead). I hope you guys do well, but I'll probably be skipping it. If Disney really wanted to do it right, they'd import some talented baristas to run the place, because with those, you can really make coffee magical.

I'm sure you'll be packed though! Just another extension of turning Main St. USA into a shopping mall...I suppose.

(yeesh, that took an unintended negative turn)

That being said, have you had fun showing new people how to froth the milk? The first few times can be...interesting!

As a side note, would how would they feel if I directed a CM how to make a drink for me? My kid really does enjoy a good vanilla steamer, but your vanilla shots are too strong...it really takes only a shot and a half to get the right mix, and then a pinch spot of ground cinnamon mixed in.

emich88

Yeah, that's what I suspected. No offense to you or Disney (cause I know you are doing the best)...but this is no better than a Starbucks franchise experience.

I want to stress, I mean that with no offense, as I stated previously, Seattle spoiled me. I lived there right as it was catching on nationwide (when Seattles Best and Starbucks were actually neck and neck, until Starbucks pulled ahead). I hope you guys do well, but I'll probably be skipping it. If Disney really wanted to do it right, they'd import some talented baristas to run the place, because with those, you can really make coffee magical.

I'm sure you'll be packed though! Just another extension of turning Main St. USA into a shopping mall...I suppose.

(yeesh, that took an unintended negative turn)

That being said, have you had fun showing new people how to froth the milk? The first few times can be...interesting!

As a side note, would how would they feel if I directed a CM how to make a drink for me? My kid really does enjoy a good vanilla steamer, but your vanilla shots are too strong...it really takes only a shot and a half to get the right mix, and then a pinch spot of ground cinnamon mixed in.

Trust me... we honestly got rid of a lot of people who didn't so great and we aren't even open yet lol. But yeah, teaching people on how to froth milk can be a pain at times haha. Also, during our training we do a lot of product tasting, even with regular coffee, so the CM will know what they are making/ serving. We will also have information on hand in a book for coffees/ teas.

And of course if a guest wants something special, we will make it how they want. Just note that the cashier will not be making the drink, and the person marking/ labelling the cup will not be making the drink. But there will be away of letting the person on the espresso bar to ask the cashier (or even guest what they want).

To give an idea of the size, there will be a total of 4 espresso machines and 6 blenders. If you have been in the old bakery, the counter will stretch from the cone shop wall all the way to the crystal arts wall

Also, I will say that the trainers were trained my SB managers. Then the CM were trained by us

But I would love a good challenge from a guest when I am making drinks.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Trust me... we honestly got rid of a lot of people who didn't so great and we aren't even open yet lol. But yeah, teaching people on how to froth milk can be a pain at times haha. Also, during our training we do a lot of product tasting, even with regular coffee, so the CM will know what they are making/ serving. We will also have information on hand in a book for coffees/ teas.

And of course if a guest wants something special, we will make it how they want. Just note that the cashier will not be making the drink, and the person marking/ labelling the cup will not be making the drink. But there will be away of letting the person on the espresso bar to ask the cashier (or even guest what they want).

To give an idea of the size, there will be a total of 4 espresso machines and 6 blenders. If you have been in the old bakery, the counter will stretch from the cone shop wall all the way to the crystal arts wall

Also, I will say that the trainers were trained my SB managers. Then the CM were trained by us

But I would love a good challenge from a guest when I am making drinks.

I would feel bad holding up the line...and yeah, that retail fast food style process is really what gave Starbucks an edge over competition as they franchised and grew in the 90s.

Sounds like every other Starbucks experience I've ever had...what is going to make it special to Disney? Any special drinks? (I think that would be a good idea)...

What makes it unique. Sure it will be a cash cow, as people NEED their iced frappachinos on a hot summers day, but anything special?

The machine, I assume, is going to be one of the automatics like most franchises get (automatically grinds/measures/tamps)..probably a dressed up Mastrena, which is ok. Especially if the baristas are not experienced, I'll take that over a non-automatic system that is operated by a bad barista any day.

Also, will Tazo teas be served there? One thing that could draw me in if I can't get a Vanilla Steamer for the kiddo is an iced Tazo.

emich88

I would feel bad holding up the line...and yeah, that retail fast food style process is really what gave Starbucks an edge over competition as they franchised and grew in the 90s.

Sounds like every other Starbucks experience I've ever had...what is going to make it special to Disney? Any special drinks? (I think that would be a good idea)...

What makes it unique. Sure it will be a cash cow, as people NEED their iced frappachinos on a hot summers day, but anything special?

The machine, I assume, is going to be one of the automatics like most franchises get (automatically grinds/measures/tamps)..probably a dressed up Mastrena, which is ok. Especially if the baristas are not experienced, I'll take that over a non-automatic system that is operated by a bad barista any day.

Also, will Tazo teas be served there? One thing that could draw me in if I can't get a Vanilla Steamer for the kiddo is an iced Tazo.

Yeah we have one of the newest mastrena machines, an automatic one.

But we will have a full SB drink menu, including Tazo teas.

The only DIsney I can think of is that the location will of course be themed to the area, the cups will be co-branded (the only co-branded SB cups in the world), we will sell co-branded merchandise, we will see Disney & SB food (more grad-n-go type things). No special "Disney" drinks though, at least yet

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Yeah we have one of the newest mastrena machines, an automatic one.

But we will have a full SB drink menu, including Tazo teas.

The only DIsney I can think of is that the location will of course be themed to the area, the cups will be co-branded (the only co-branded SB cups in the world), we will sell co-branded merchandise, we will see Disney & SB food (more grad-n-go type things). No special "Disney" drinks though, at least yet

Maybe you should "make a career move" and suggest some! <grin> For example, a simple dark chocolate Mickey with a cafe mocha would be a nice addition. Dunno, just brainstorming.

At least have (a few) mickey shaped pastries!

Mastrena machines are nice, easy to operate, easy to clean. But, their performance will vary based on humidity (something Disney will have to deal with, but probably won't, just like every other Starbucks in the Orlando Area doesn't)...not that someone who isn't a coffee snob would notice! <grin>

Great to hear about Tazo teas! That's one drink addition to Starbucks that I have truly enjoyed!

Also, I didn't address this in my last post, but I should.

Trust me... we honestly got rid of a lot of people who didn't so great and we aren't even open yet lol.

Yeah, I used to open new restaurants for a living, and we had extremely high turnover in many markets...you can't hold on to those who don't cut it though. What always surprised me...were the number of people who didn't cut it!
But yeah, teaching people on how to froth milk can be a pain at times haha.

Been there, done that...hence why I asked the question. <grin>

Also, during our training we do a lot of product tasting, even with regular coffee, so the CM will know what they are making/ serving. We will also have information on hand in a book for coffees/ teas.

I am very glad to hear that (but not at all surprised, as that's how Starbucks operates for it's franchisees to maintain quality control, and even though it's Disney, Starbucks is OBSESSIVE about quality control in their franchise divisions...

I hope you have a great opening! I've opened a few stores (not in theme parks, and not Starbucks), but opening day is going to be a riot of fun, and jam packed I suspect considering WHEN you are opening!

You'll enjoy every minute![/quote]

articos

Maybe you should "make a career move" and suggest some! <grin> For example, a simple dark chocolate Mickey with a cafe mocha would be a nice addition. Dunno, just brainstorming.

At least have (a few) mickey shaped pastries!

Mastrena machines are nice, easy to operate, easy to clean. But, their performance will vary based on humidity (something Disney will have to deal with, but probably won't, just like every other Starbucks in the Orlando Area doesn't)...not that someone who isn't a coffee snob would notice! <grin>

Great to hear about Tazo teas! That's one drink addition to Starbucks that I have truly enjoyed!

Also, I didn't address this in my last post, but I should.

Yeah, I used to open new restaurants for a living, and we had extremely high turnover in many markets...you can't hold on to those who don't cut it though. What always surprised me...were the number of people who didn't cut it!

Been there, done that...hence why I asked the question. <grin>

I am very glad to hear that (but not at all surprised, as that's how Starbucks operates for it's franchisees to maintain quality control, and even though it's Disney, Starbucks is OBSESSIVE about quality control in their franchise divisions...

I hope you have a great opening! I've opened a few stores (not in theme parks, and not Starbucks), but opening day is going to be a riot of fun, and jam packed I suspect considering WHEN you are opening!

You'll enjoy every minute!
The Starbucks deal has taken years to get done and has been on-again, off-again a number of times due to Starbucks not trusting Disney to be able to adhere to SB quality standards. They went as far as to send research teams to observe Disney f&b cast members at work in the parks to try to judge if the Disney way would be able to consistently recreate SB drinks to the level that SB requires in a theme park environment. For a long time, the opinion of SB corporate was 'no', and it took a while for Disney to convince them otherwise.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The Starbucks deal has taken years to get done and has been on-again, off-again a number of times due to Starbucks not trusting Disney to be able to adhere to SB quality standards. They went as far as to send research teams to observe Disney f&b cast members at work in the parks to try to judge if the Disney way would be able to consistently recreate SB drinks to the level that SB requires in a theme park environment. For a long time, the opinion of SB corporate was 'no', and it took a while for Disney to convince them otherwise.

Yes, as they did with their Target deal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom