Main Street Bakery to Serve Starbucks Coffee

WDW1974

The Emporium is not a standard Disney Store found round the world. If you think that, you haven't been in one or the other.

Yes, because serving a brand of coffee is the exact same thing as opening an entire location of that brand of coffee.
. The Emporium is a giant WoD outlet that has swallowed half of MSUSA ... yet because it sells Disney-branded (expletive deleted) it somehow is OK to you?

captainkidd

WHY?!?! How is quality coffee and a wider variety of food items run by better trained CMs in a nicely themed enviornment bad?

You know the answer is 'just because I say it is' ... and that's just not how rational, functioning adults behave.

That's your opinion. That's not mine.

And with all due respect, rational, functioning adults wouldn't be nearly as rude as you and some others have been to others on this thread. It's astounding that people could possibly be so mean. And I'm happy to say, it's a concept I simply don't understand.

WDW1974

Is there a way to change a thread title? If I could I certainly would!

I was told by another member that the creator can edit (or could before the new format) so I'm not sure ... but if you PM'd a moderator and asked them to do so, I'm sure they would. A better, and more accurate, subject might be 'Starbucks to be served on MSUSA' or something like that.

Pentacat

Original Poster
The Emporium is not a standard Disney Store found round the world. If you think that, you haven't been in one or the other.

Yes, because serving a brand of coffee is the exact same thing as opening an entire location of that brand of coffee.

I think the days of the Emporium selling truly unique merchandise are long past. The last time I went in there, last year, I didn't see anything that you couldn't find at any number of other stores on property.

asianway

I could use something much stronger.

I think this thread goes down as the absolute worst most embarassing that I have seen since joining the site in 2008.

It's a bunch of people with facts being told 'we don't care, poopyheads, we hates the Starbucks coffee because it interferes with our ability to snort the Pixie Dust' ... just effing amazing.
There's two threads on this topic on the front page of DIS I daren't open for fear of my cerebral cortex melting...

TalkingHead

Spirit, you're a smart guy. Please tell me you see some middle ground here.

It's not all "STARBUCKS DRINKY GOOD" and "LOSE BAKERY CRUSHING BAD."

The middle ground is ambivalence: Coffee might be improved, but this is yet another step toward the standardization of the park.

Dare I say it? Starbucks is basically a trendy Walmart. Along with McDonald's, these stores/shops are largely responsible for the homogenization of the American landscape -- you know, you go to Miami and see the same crap you see in Northern Virginia which is the same crap you see in San Antonio, etc. I think that's lousy, and to see that homogenization introduced into MK is regrettable IMO. It may be themed, but it's still homogenization.

Now you may like Starbucks products better than Walmart's. Sure Starbucks has the suburband middle-class status symbol thing going for it, but other than that...it's just more Disney outsourcing, more lazy problem-solving.

JustInTime

Spirit, you're a smart guy. Please tell me you see some middle ground here.

The middle ground is ambivalence: Coffee might be improved, but this is yet another step toward the standardization of the park.

Dare I say it? Starbucks is basically a trendy Walmart. Along with McDonald's, these stores/shops are largely responsible for the homogenization of the American landscape -- you know, you go to Miami and see the same crap you see in Northern Virginia which is the same crap you see in San Antonio, etc. I think that's lousy, and to see that homogenization introduced into MK is regrettable IMO. It may be themed, but it's still homogenization.

Now you may like Starbucks products better than Walmart's. Sure Starbucks has the suburband middle-class status symbol thing going for it, but other than that...it's just more Disney outsourcing, more lazy problem-solving.

We are talking about corporate America. A land of nothing but McDonalds, Walmarts and Starbucks. Yet you forget that Disney is the biggest corporate monster in the entire world. People use this same argument against Disney everyday. Most recently with the possible standardization of the Star Wars series. I find it ironic Disney fans are worried about Starbuks doing to Disney what Disney has been doing to everything it's touched since it's inception.

Vader2112

It's all about presentation. If WDW had announced "Starbucks to be sold at the Main Street Bakery", then the reaction would have been considerably subdued.

Instead, what was announced was:

The opening line in the announcement is:

It is a "Starbucks location", not the Main Street Bakery selling Starbucks.

Again quoting from the announcement:

And:

Where I'm from, "early summer" is June. I'm not sure why they need 5 months to make changes to sell Starbucks coffee, pastries, and sandwiches. I'm guessing (just a guess) that they had some rather extensive renovations planned.

Given the surprisingly strong reaction and the length of the closure, I wonder if they will adjust their plans.

I'm sure they thought everybody loves Starbucks. What they failed to consider is that Starbucks is the antithesis of what WDW fans like to think Main Street USA represents. I'm not talking about what MSUSA actually is; I'm talking about what it means to many devoted WDW fans. It's all about presentation and WDW botched this one.

Stop getting on people's cases because WDW dropped the ball on this one.
Early summer here in Fl is like March lol

TalkingHead

We are talking about corporate America. A land of nothing but McDonalds, Walmarts and Starbucks. Yet you forget that Disney is the biggest corporate monster in the entire world. People use this same argument against Disney everyday. Most recently with the possible standardization of the Star Wars series. I find it ironic Disney fans are worried about Starbuks doing to Disney what Disney has been doing to everything it's touched since it's inception.

And I've never been a fan of Disney cloning MKs to the far corners of the earth.

However, there isn't a MK on the corner of every street. The same can't be said of Starbucks.

Incidentally, you assume that I'm a fan of Disney media empire. I'm not.

TalkingHead

I think that's lousy, and to see that homogenization introduced into MK is regrettable IMO. It may be themed, but it's still homogenization.

And before the smart guys jump in with their Coke and Nestle counterexamples...let me rephrase:

"...to see that homogenization FURTHER introduced is regrettable..."

JustInTime

And I've never been a fan of Disney cloning MKs to the far corners of the earth.

However, there isn't a MK on the corner of every street. The same can't be said of Starbucks.

Incidentally, you assume that I'm a fan of Disney media empire. I'm not.

What is weird is that I am a fan of the Disney media empire and you assumed I wasn't. I was just making a point and a very valid one. Take from it what you may, but I was not pointing any fingers toward what you prefer. I'm not even sure what part of my post indicated that I was assuming your feelings toward the topic. However, it is an excellent point that has yet to be brought up in this thread. It's a double standard. People hate it when they are a part of a double standard. Clearly.

WDW1974

Spirit, you're a smart guy.

I think so. The more I read a thread like this, the smarter I get!:D

Please tell me you see some middle ground here.

Honestly, very, very little. I view Starbucks improving the coffee much like I view OLC running the TDR. Disney doesn't have the desire (and possibly the ability) to provide a high quality product. And standardization? I have a hard time with that when this will be the only locale to get those tasty Starbucks beverages and food items. As opposed to having the same Disney crap at the Emporium available in pretty much every location in the MK (to some degree as obviously one location is much larger).

This is actually something I laud Disney for. They are going to improve MK (and EPCOT, which naturally no one mentions) with this move. UNI has one, and I don't think 'gee, I'm at a strip center in Tulsa, Tuscaloosa or Tallahassee' when I've had coffee there. It's located in a NY city themed backlot area and fits perfectly and that locale actually does have all the Starbucks signage that this one will not.

I don't disagree with the core point. But I'll say Disney has done far more to damage the MAGIC of the MK with the Disney BRAND plastered and in your face in every corner of the park than this will ever do. Jack Sparrow merchandise and tooned attractions in Tomorrowland ... Tink costumes and Jack Skellington mugs and Pooh X-mas ornaments in Liberty Square have damaged the MK far, far more than this.

Honestly, I'm not saying this just because I like their coffee (for the record I just had McD's coffee, not Starbucks!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom