Main Street Bakery to Serve Starbucks Coffee

TalkingHead

Those threads have generally stopped a lot sooner than this one ... this one will keep going ... maybe I should make something up and start a thread just to get people's eyes off this one?:D

Go for it...as long as it's not Social Media Pt IV (or V, VI, VII...it might start to sound like you're using Star Wars as your model). ;)

TalkingHead

Honestly, very, very little. I view Starbucks improving the coffee much like I view OLC running the TDR. Disney doesn't have the desire (and possibly the ability) to provide a high quality product. And standardization? I have a hard time with that when this will be the only locale to get those tasty Starbucks beverages and food items. As opposed to having the same Disney crap at the Emporium available in pretty much every location in the MK (to some degree as obviously one location is much larger).

Which is sorta the point. Standardization--of merch, of attractions, of advertising, of napkins--is criticized elsewhere. But as long as someone's a fan of Starbucks, this bit of standardization is defensible.

This is actually something I laud Disney for. They are going to improve MK (and EPCOT, which naturally no one mentions) with this move. UNI has one, and I don't think 'gee, I'm at a strip center in Tulsa, Tuscaloosa or Tallahassee' when I've had coffee there. It's located in a NY city themed backlot area and fits perfectly and that locale actually does have all the Starbucks signage that this one will not.

Maybe it fits better there because the New York location is apparently supposed to be more modern and "realistic" than the mythical Main Street of MK. (Better not go down that avenue or I'll start to sound like Epcot Explorer arguing some trivial nuance of theming.)

I don't disagree with the core point. But I'll say Disney has done far more to damage the MAGIC of the MK with the Disney BRAND plastered and in your face in every corner of the park than this will ever do. Jack Sparrow merchandise and tooned attractions in Tomorrowland ... Tink costumes and Jack Skellington mugs and Pooh X-mas ornaments in Liberty Square have damaged the MK far, far more than this.

And as a usually obedient minion (I think that's what some people criticize your readers for--never disagreeing with the great Spirit in the sky), I agree with that completely.

Even though I'm not thrilled Starbucks is being added, it's a minor issue compared to the other outstanding issues with park management. (And for the record I don't even care about the cinammon rolls...shocking, isn't it?)

G00fyDad

But I don't look at it that way. I see it as an addition.
It's going to be more like "Main St. Bakery with Starbucks" rather than "Starbucks instead of Main St. Bakery."

If that is the way they plan to go with this then fine. It would be no different than Disney selling Coke products. I just hope they do not take down the bakery sign and throw up a Starbucks sign.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Pretty much. It is not brewed at all at the majority of your self serve or quick service locations. Is is a syrup added to hot water. I think some of the TS restaurants still brew fresh coffee but I could not tell you which ones, if any.

I am a big coffee drinker in the morning. I do not function without it. Disney Coffee has always been rot gut.
Now I know why. I learned something today, there is a reason why their coffee is so disgusting.
Thank you.

G00fyDad

I am a big coffee drinker in the morning. I do not function without it. Disney Coffee has always been rot gut.
Now I know why. I learned something today, there is a reason why their coffee is so disgusting.
Thank you.

Do what I do and make it in the room before you leave for the day.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
No one here is quoting doomsday scenarios.
while I agree everyone needs to calm down and act civilized I have to disagree with this. There are quite a few "this will ruin Main Street" posts. I don't want to single out people by quoting them, but there are plenty in this thread.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Which is sorta the point. Standardization--of merch, of attractions, of advertising, of napkins--is criticized elsewhere. But as long as someone's a fan of Starbucks, this bit of standardization is defensible.

But it's not standardization - the announced deal was only for specific locations. They aren't replacing all coffee on property with Starbucks. This is a specialty store really in the Disney scheme of things.

I don't even drink coffee (I saw enough of what it does to materials when I was a kid) but the 'fears' being thrown out here are blown way out of proportion and largely based on things that are not happening.

G00fyDad

while I agree everyone needs to calm down and act civilized I have to disagree with this. There are quite a few "this will ruin Main Street" posts. I don't want to single out people by quoting them, but there are plenty in this thread.

Oh, no... that's not doomsday stuff. That has been happening for some time. ;) But it is really no different than Disney's usually tone with the parks. Sort of typical for them.

PeoplemoverTTA

There's a big discussion going on about this over on Twitter as well, and as someone who typically speaks strongly about preserving detail and maintaining quality, I cannot see how this is a bad thing. The service I receive from my neighborhood Starbucks baristas (as well as when I'm traveling), is well above that I receive in some counter-service areas in Walt Disney World. Starbucks adheres to the quality standards that have built their brand, and I feel that the strict adherence to quality they are famous for will fit nicely inside WDW.

That being said, I do not harbor any fears of Starbucks signage on Main Street, just as I do not have a problem with Coke or Edys signs (the "Casey's" hot dog joint in DL is actually called the Coke Corner, and there is another restaurant called the Carnation Cafe, although I'm not sure that was sponsored by Carnation, but you can catch my drift).

Proper theming and signage, classic WDW bakery treats, new Starbucks high-quality treats and infinitely better coffee, with great attention to detail and service from Starbucks/WDW cast members...what's not to like here?

Oh, and my sister, who frequently visits Starbucks here in Western New York, recently visited Disneyland on her honeymoon (back in August). She did not know about the addition of Sbux to DCA, and in fact didn't even realize that it was a "real" Starbucks her and her husband were visiting until after reading about it when she got home. The theming and details are that well done. Honestly, I just don't see how this is an issue. I'm sure it's been debated ad nauseam here in these preceding 39 pages, but that's my two cents.

flynnibus

Premium Member
See. THIS is your problem. You get heated up, blowing things way out of proportion, and then start name calling and smart off to people

I'm not your kid'ss teacher or little league coach. I don't give out participation ribbons and I don't feel the need to give people endless chances to keep repeating the same mistakes. I just don't coddle stupidity or those that can't figure out how to help themselves.. even when the hand is extended. You'll find my treatment of individuals is highly reflective of what the individual demonstrates themselves.

No one here is quoting doomsday scenarios. No one is ignoring reality, except you

I think you should go back and read the thread again. The hyperboyle starts right on page one. By the time you get a few pages in... this is the tipping point that ruins Main Street. And plenty are ignoring reality... they chose to selectively read the blog post, pick out elements that support their fears, ignore the follow-up comments, the past information on the deal, insider comments about it, and the very real world execution of the deal in DCA. I could spend hours quoting all the posts mourning the loss of the bakery and how this is the 'last straw' or last remenient of a 'true' Main Street. (a notion that simply is unfathomable when we compare to what Main Street REALLY was.. and Main Street 2012 isn't it).

We get it, Starbucks can only mean good things. Money will fall from the skies, rainbows will bloom from posteriors, and the world will smell of strawberries. Yeah, we get your point

That wasn't my point at all - I actually was saying what it would NOT be, not what it will be. Do I think it will do well commercially? Certainly.. because in this society its become stylish to overpay for simple products if you make it more boutique... Coffee, Burgers, even Grilled Cheese now! It will complement what Disney already did in this location.

You seem intent on ignoring ours. The nails going in the coffin on the last vestiges of what was once Mainstreet USA. But you don't agree with that

That's right because it's flawed every way to sunday. 'Nails in the Coffin'? Where is was all your angst when the Firehouse was lost? Or how about when Town Hall became a big M&G? Come on, that wasn't even the last two years ago and we've already forgotten far more significant issues with Main Street. This is a FOOD service location being changed to... the same FOOD SERVICE location with new offerings. The premise of the place isn't even changing. To act like this represents the end of days for Main Street is just beyond comprehension given what was taken OUT (not just new food offerings.. taken OUT) on Main Street.

I've yet to see a valid point on how this negatively impacts Main Street in any way that Disney didn't cross his very self decades ago. Please list something rational in how this is going to take the place backwards and I'll listen. But simple emotion resistance to change isn't rational - it's emotional. Resistance based on fear of things happening that aren't happening, is simply falsehoods. Things like 'but the bakery will change!' - you mean like how it changed from Sarah Lee to Nestle in the past? Are we still holding our grudges on how it changed to Nestle?? Where's the petition to restore the bakery back to the way it was before?

I get people want things to stay how they remember them - but admit that's what it is. Its when people start dragging up all sort of inconsistent or simply broke 'reasoning' to backup their opinion and try to make it something more than just their emotional response that they get called out on it.

People are free to feel how they want.. but when they start twisting things to make themselves feel better or bring people to their side.. and do so in an open discussion forum... not everyone is going to fall in line like they are in Jonestown.

Gabe1

But maybe the dismay displayed here is the fact that the change eliminates a place that is loved and it will be missed... yes we know that brands have been offered at the Disney parks from the beginning it is still a bit disconcerting to find Main St Bakery is going to become a branded Starbucks... but maybe that is reflective of current Main St USA so... still can't help being a little sad over the change.

Yep. 'Cause it isn't Starbucks coming, it is where Starbucks is coming to. I'd feel very different about the arrival of Starbucks if it was going to take over Noodle Terrace. I'd be doing the happy dance.

Gabe1

Do what I do and make it in the room before you leave for the day.
I had done that since Disney started putting the tiny pots in the room. This trip in April I was at CS and they had just replaced the little pots with new little one cup, instant brew pods of some sort. And there went that option.

I sincerely do not understand Disney's inability to brew coffee. It isn't an overwhelming task. And if McDonald conquered their miserable coffee and came out with a good product why can't Disney? Oy. Don't they know I am an addict. :)

yeti

Yep. 'Cause it isn't Starbucks coming, it is where Starbucks is coming to. I'd feel very different about the arrival of Starbucks if it was going to take over Noodle Terrace. I'd be doing the happy dance.

Is it really taking over though? I'm not arguing, I'm asking anyone a legitimate question. Is the name of the Bakery actually changing to...just Starbucks?

Seeing as this discussion has already escalated beyond coffee and donuts, I'll add a few cents to the machine. I think of Disney World the same way I think about world expos: a showcase presented by a variety of companies, contributing to an experience that's equally nostalgic as it is progressive, and as entertaining as it is informative. Sponsors are VERY important-they shouldn't be undermined as de-Disneyfying the universe within the purple gates (leave that to crappy customer service). Rather, they make some of the truly great things possible. I love when the association between ride and sponsor works within the storyline of an attraction (Test Track for instance), but simply having "McDonalds" under the sign for Space Mountain is immediately forgivable when the ride is up to snuff. Look no further than Tokyo Disneyland- as I said before, the OLC has partners for practically everything. Why do you think they can keep everything working? Why doesn't Disney update UoE? Well, wait, I guess I take that back...I think Disney could afford a little self-respect, with or without sponsors.

The World is better lived either ignoring or accepting them...just like the exit signs in the middle of a dark ride.

Magenta Panther

Just have to say...I think it's touching that people care so much about the Bakery. I respect that, believe me. Caring about the integrity and essential uniqueness of WDW means a lot to me too. I think it's sad that so many people are upset about Starbucks coming in. I'm hoping that when the Bakery is reopened, all the fears will be laid to rest. That the Bakery will still be the Bakery, just with better coffee. I've got my fingers crossed...

Gabe1

Is it really taking over though? I'm not arguing, I'm asking anyone a legitimate question. Is the name of the Bakery actually changing to...just Starbucks?

Seeing as this discussion has already escalated beyond coffee and donuts, I'll add a few cents to the machine. I think of Disney World the same way I think about world expos: a showcase presented by a variety of companies, contributing to an experience that's equally nostalgic as it is progressive, and as entertaining as it is informative. Sponsors are VERY important-they shouldn't be undermined as de-Disneyfying the universe within the purple gates (leave that to crappy customer service). Rather, they make some of the truly great things possible. I love when the association between ride and sponsor works within the storyline of an attraction (Test Track for instance), but simply having "McDonalds" under the sign for Space Mountain is immediately forgivable when the ride is up to snuff. Look no further than Tokyo Disneyland- as I said before, the OLC has partners for practically everything. Why do you think they can keep everything working? Why don't they update UoE? Well, wait, I guess I take that back...I think Disney could afford a little self-respect, with or without sponsors.

Not what I am thinking at all. I don't mind the McDonald's sign for Space Mountain, I did mind McDonald's restaurants and stands in the Parks. Happy to see them go.

Me, I've been vacationing with my family at WDW for 25 years. I enjoyed getting away from everyday life and experiencing something different. I can't comment on Expos, I'm old, but not that old to have experienced Expos, I yield to your experience on that one.

If Disney is going to start dragging in franchises like Starbucks to shore up their food offerings I still wish they would do so where the offerings are icky like Noodles Terrace. There are enough ones that are closed or underutilized. Messing with something that works and is already popular just doesn't seem to be necessary from the Disney side. Starbucks, I can understand their fear of competing with the beloved bakery. And maybe that is it.

The Empress Lilly

I'm of the opinion that WDW die-hards view Main Street USA as holy ground. Starbucks represents the local mall coming to Main Street USA.

Unfortunately, too many people who have been talking down to (insulting really) those who feel this way simply don't understand the emotional reaction nor, it seems, do they want to try.
Well, from the looks of it, the hysteria seems to have subsided a bit, so let's hope we can have a civilised discussion now without that handful of loudmouths trying to shout it down.

It's WDW, one big stage. Everything is about presentation.:)

With that acknowledged, they didn't need to license a Starbucks on Main Street USA to improve the coffee. I suspect (just an uninformed guess) that people making the decision thought Starbucks would be very popular. And I think they are right. Except for us WDW aficionados, the casual North American tourist is going to see the (subtle) Starbucks sign and say "Look, coffee I am familiar with!" The same reaction they have when they see a McDonald's sign.
It's funny you should bring up McDonald's. If ever there was a precedent for the $bux construction, it was Disney's contract with McD's of last decade.

McD's products, menu was introduced into the parks. Subtly, themed. Very much like they intend to do with $bux. But it was still a theme breaker to me. A breaking of the fourth wall. The addition of McDonald's' industrially perfect fries wasn't an addition to me. It was a distraction. McDonald's is what you want to leave behind you, in the real world. I didn't need to have the world's 19,873th McDonald's counter in the MK.

There is a subtle but important difference between Coke, Edy's and Nescafé's presence in the parks, and that of McDonald's or Starbucks. The former are tangible products, the latter are physical spaces, places one visits. It is fine for WDW to serve Heinz Ketchup with your fries, but not to order those fries from a McDonald's menu.

I was happy to see McDonald's leave the parks again, and I hope Starbucks will soon follow suit. It felt intrusive, as Starbucks will feel too. Even though I do expect the lines to run all the way to the Train Station.

The 'Refreshment Port featuring McDonald's favorites' in EPCOT:

mcwdw_refreshment2007ww.jpg

The themed McDonald's cart in FL:

mcwdw_gold2007ww.jpg

Further reading: http://www.yesterland.com/mcwdw.html

G00fyDad

I had done that since Disney started putting the tiny pots in the room. This trip in April I was at CS and they had just replaced the little pots with new little one cup, instant brew pods of some sort. And there went that option.

I sincerely do not understand Disney's inability to brew coffee. It isn't an overwhelming task. And if McDonald conquered their miserable coffee and came out with a good product why can't Disney? Oy. Don't they know I am an addict. :)

A) We go off property quite often on our trips since we fly down and rent a vehicle. So we usually just go pick up a cheap coffee pot, filters, and coffee at Walmart on I-4.

and B) Holy crap! You like McDonald's coffee? Yikes. I haven't had anything that awful in a long time. But that's me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom