Main Street Bakery to Serve Starbucks Coffee

asianway

While in an ideal universe WDW would have sent a team of F&B CMs around the world to search for the best coffee beans to craft their own branded coffee to serve around property as well as create themed coffee drinks with Disney-fied names, that ain't gonna happen. This is the next best thing and is an improvement.

While I don't have the terms of the agreement, it sounds like Disney purchased six Starbucks franchises. These agreements run $20k+ for 5 years plus 1% or more of the daily take. Disney is probably paying a premium for allowing their own products to be served side by side. In a franchise, the franchisee, Disney, would be responsible for hiring and training all employees and maintaining brand standards.

Now, here is my attempt at making the weekly social media roundup at Celebration Place...

When the story broke, I'm like it's after 5 on Friday and it isn't particularly bad news like say the PI closure. Then I came here...

The social media team has a pretty good read on what the fan base will be up in arms about and what they will bend over for. Hats off to them...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yes, at this point we are short on facts. What we have is mostly speculation based on a vague announcement along with extrapolation based on what has happened so far at DLR. The only "fact" I'm 100% sure of is that after Starbucks opens, some people will like it and others won't.;)

You are probably right. There are assumptions being presented as fact on both sides. We do know for sure that Starbucks will be coming to MK in the place which was the Main Street Bakery. Disney is claiming that it will fit the theme of the existing area. They will serve both Starbucks Coffee and drinks as well as some of the Disney classics (no details on what those actually are). The DCA Starbucks location does not have an obvious Starbucks look or feel and serves both Starbucks and classic Disney stuff. This is all fact.

Things like I hate Starbucks Coffe, I love Starbucks, I don't like coffee at all and I don't like 3rd party vendors are all valid opinions. The grey area is when people say they are opposed to this because they dont want a Starbucks sign to be the first thing they see when they look down Main Street or something along those lines. You are stating an opinion (I don't like this plan) but its based on something that is not fact and is probably not true. When someone else reads this statement they assume that this will ruin the view on Main Street and it feeds the fire. Until the work is done or they release more details we can't really know if there will be a giant Starbucks sign outside, but it is not very likely. This is a discussion forum so there is nothing wrong with a little back and forth with facts and opinions mixed, but if you mix fact and opinion or present opinions or assumptions as fact it's also fair game for someone to call you out on it.

bferrara16

Not a coffee drinker, so I don't care about replacing the coffee, but someone please tell me that the Ice Cream Cookies will still be available...

GeneralKnowledge

OK, let's see another four pages on this bull(crap). ... This IS the problem with WDW fans. Pure and simple. And great fodder for my Mental Health and the Disney Fan Community: How Pixie Dust Destroys the Brain tome (maybe coming sooner than I expected!)

There is a new thread here asking about a piece of Splash Mountain falling into the flume last week. It actually was a bit longer ago and I mentioned it elsewhere ... a piece of mountain actually hit a few ride vehicles WITH people in them. From what I've been told, no one was seriously injured and since there's little in the real media about it, one could concur that Disney paid the folks as little as possible for having a chunk of the Briar Patch fall on their logs and moved on.

THAT IS WHAT YOU PEOPLE SHOULD BE ABOUT!!!

GET OFF THE COFFEE DEAL WHEN PROBABLY HALF OF YOU ARE AFRAID TO EVEN DRINK THE STUFF!!!

It's utter insanity (if you make it a latte it's udder insanity too!) This is why we can't have nice things. 25 pages in and people still think they're losing the bakery or their big buns (no one can say WDW fans ever pass on desserts with 3,000 calories in them!)

Attractions are literally falling apart while guests are riding ... WDW is crumbling all over the place and you're all upset because of some childlike view of how the Starbucks brand isn't compatible with the Disney BRAND. Guess what? You're wrong. ... and just like I don't like the Marvel BRAND becoming part of Disney, I'm a grownup and can look at the positives and deal.

It's like we need a forum intervention here.

Now back to the beautiful weekend in paradise.

My sentiments exactly.

Dasnowz

Fl is not as Starbucks saturated as other places. I moved here from Washington state. There was a Starbucks on every corner and in every grocery store. I now live here. There are 4 Starbucks within a 30 minute drive of my house in all different directions. I am an occasional coffee drinker. The coffee currently being served in MK is horrible. People complained how bad it is. So Disney takes it upon itself to improve upon their product. If it looks like the one in DL the bravo they have done something wonderful . They have a very nice looking old time feeling bakery with a large variety of items and a better cup of coffee. Many items are offered in other locations around the park. The cinnamon rolls are offered in Fantasyland at Gastons.

A few pages back someone said CM's would be there drinking it. That is wrong. When a CM is on a shift/ in costume they are not allowed to be out in the open purchasing things. So while we are there in costume we cannot enjoy this. Would I ?? heck yea! but reality? I cannot.

I do not see this as a bad thing but an improvement. Are there other things that need to be improved? yes.
I do not get why people are up in arms over everything. There are bigger issues and things that need to be fixed instead of getting so mad and making angry statements against each other.

Maybe someone could try and find out what type of items will be kept and share that instead of assuming things that we will not know for awhile.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Starbucks at Fountain View is a great idea but there are shops on Main Street that no one would even notice missing, why the bakery out I all the things?

Tom Morrow

Because its still going to sell bakery items, probably still the cinnamon rolls and other signature snacks, and its already set up kind of like a Starbucks.

hauntdmansion79

This is terrible news. It just seems so corporate. Main Street USA is supposed to be a throwback to towns that were around during the turn of the century. I'm sure there was no Starbucks back then. The ambiance is so perfect on Main Street. The old barber shop, fire station, candy store, bakery, ice cream parlor, hot dog joint, movie theater...all things that were around in the early 1900's. Now we'll have a stinkin' Starbucks to totally suck us out of the beautifully designed theme.

djlaosc

This is terrible news. It just seems so corporate. Main Street USA is supposed to be a throwback to towns that were around during the turn of the century. I'm sure there was no Starbucks back then. The ambiance is so perfect on Main Street. The old barber shop, fire station, candy store, bakery, ice cream parlor, hot dog joint, movie theater...all things that were around in the early 1900's. Now we'll have a stinkin' Starbucks to totally suck us out of the beautifully designed theme.

The ice cream parlor, presented by Edy's...
The hot dog joint, presented by Coca Cola...

Mickey Mouse Meet 'n' Greets weren't around in the early 1900's, Walt/Roy Disney (the Partner's Statue/seat statue with Minnie) weren't that old then, and most streets didn't have European themed castles at the end of them.

From looking at pictures on Google, for all we know, from the outside, they will replace the current picture where the old "presented by Nestle Tollhouse" logo was, with a Starbucks logo.

JimJam

Im so sad. Putting A Big sign saying "Starbucks" on Main st. will ruin the atmosphere, let alone it breaks my heart. :oops:

djlaosc

Not a coffee drinker, so I don't care about replacing the coffee, but someone please tell me that the Ice Cream Cookies will still be available...

Are they still served at Sleepy Hollow (MK), Hollywood Scoops (DHS) and Dino-Bites (DAK)? And I would guess that they would be added to somewhere in Epcot unless they keep them at Fountainview

WDWFigment

Like a few other rational posters here, I am utterly shocked by the fan response to this news. When I saw the DPB spot late on Friday, I didn't think much of it, as I had long assumed that Main Street would be the location for the Starbucks in the Magic Kingdom. In my mind, any possible "issue" with this had been resolved when FF&P opened in June. I know not everyone goes to DLR, but there are glowingly positive reviews all over the place. That some people have spent the time to post dozens of speculative posts in this thread yet have refused to read those reviews is a bit flabbergasting. Are you all burying your heads in the sand in purpose, or is it just your standard operating procedure?

The points as to why this is not a bad thing have been made and made again without any sort of logical retort by those opposing the move, so I won't waste my keystrokes with further support.

I will say that this thread should be bookmarked as definitive "proof" that WDW1974 isn't just some surly curmudgeon who gets his kicks by fixating solely on the negatives at WDW. Sure, he discusses the negatives a lot, but I think many of us recognize a rational basis for doing so. Maybe now that the roles are (evidently) reversed with regard to the positions he and his bashers are taking in this thread, people will realize that they've misjudged him.

That, or he's actually a corporate plant working for Starbucks who has carefully concocted a certain negative posting style for the past several years to make his positive opinion on this specific piece of news have more weight and make the rest of us more receptive to Starbucks' diabolical plan to slowly turn the Magic Kingdom into the 'Mermaiding World of Sally Starbucks' (a corporate mascot mermaid character who will be announced next week and will be the star of New Fantasyland...you fools thought that stuff was actually for Ariel?!).

Actually, scratch everything I wrote above that last paragraph, I THINK I'VE FINALLY OUTED '74!

Tigger1988

I'm not about to read 26 pages so I'll just ask. Is there any actual proof that the Bakery is going to be completely different from what it is now? Or is it going to the be the Bakery as we know it but now serving Starbucks...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Im so sad. Putting A Big sign saying "Starbucks" on Main st. will ruin the atmosphere, let alone it breaks my heart. :oops:

Yeah. I heard it was going to be 25 feet tall and blinking neon. It may actually be an arch that crosses main street that you have to walk under that completely blocks any view of the castle from anywhere on Main Street. They may even rename Main Street Starbucks Lane. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em....

The Empress Lilly

I'm not about to read 26 pages so I'll just ask. Is there any actual proof that the Bakery is going to be completely different from what it is now? Or is it going to the be the Bakery as we know it but now serving Starbucks...
The place will not look all that different. Here are lots of pics from the $tarbucks in DCA, and a glowing review (from fanboi site DIS): http://www.disunplugged.com/2012/08...rbucks-opens-in-disneys-california-adventure/

Personally, I think it looks absolutely dreadful, a theme breaker, breaking the fourth wall. What's more, to me, the franchised chain is always a downgrade, by default a lack of taste and style compared to the original offering.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom