Main Street Bakery to Serve Starbucks Coffee

GeneralKnowledge

Just because it says "Disney Favorites", does not mean it will be made the same way or with the same ingredients. It's a coffee shop. Of course they're going to have muffins, bagels, etc. Ever had a cinnamon roll at the Boardwalk Bakery? It's Disney but it's not the same (or nearly as good) as the ones on Main Street.

I don't follow your logic whatsoever. Starbucks has a catalog of pastry offerings. Stating that the bakery will continue to offer "Disney Favorites" can only allude to the fact that Disney will continue to serve a selection of the same pastries. There is no logical way to conclude that Starbucks will be either making the classic Disney favorites themselves, or be importing their existing pastry selection and expect them to be considered Disney favorites.

And if you have a problem with my posting pattern maybe I'll have to start speaking up more often to quash the frequent ridiculous notions concluded by wdwmagic posters.

GiveMeTheMusic

Splash Mountain is going down for a lengthy refurb in January.

Yeah, a "small sponsor logo". That's why it will be closed for 6 months.:rolleyes:

It will take that long to paint the logo on. Haven't you seen how long the FLE project has dragged out for? Meanwhile, at Universal, Transformers will be open before the Main Street Bakery.

One thing I have noticed on these forums over time - Whenever a big announcement is made, there are always people who have been here for a while with a very low post count that always seem to show up and bash the people who are against changing the essence of Disney World. Why is that?

No essence is being changed. They will serve the same baked goods as before - they are adding the Starbucks drink menu to the existing offerings. Maybe some sandwiches. It will still be the Main Street Bakery. They will still sell cinnamon rolls. And like at DCA, Disney cast members will work there. Starbucks will train and guide the operation when it comes to their drinks as they have strict quality control (unlike some other companies who shall remain nameless). This is not a sky is falling scenario. This is an improvement of a lackluster offering in response to years of guest requests.

And the essence of WDW includes sponsorship. For decades, Main Street was home to several corporate entities, both at DL and MK. Walt Disney himself allowed OUTSIDE product to be served in his theme parks. I know, the mind reels.

If we didn't have a precedent here, I might be able to understand the outrage. But seeing as most WDW fans wouldn't dream of visiting DLR, they have no idea how well the Starbucks integration was done at DCA. And, Disney coffee BLOWS. It's all but undrinkable. Starbucks, while not the gold standard in beanery, is a heck of a lot better.

The only negative is that they're taking six months to do what should take one, maybe two months. But again, such timelines are de rigeur at WDW.

I have a low post count. Feel free to disregard anything I say. :)

captainkidd

It will take that long to paint the logo on. Haven't you seen how long the FLE project has dragged out for? Meanwhile, at Universal, Transformers will be open before the Main Street Bakery.

No essence is being changed. They will serve the same baked goods as before - they are adding the Starbucks drink menu to the existing offerings. Maybe some sandwiches. It will still be the Main Street Bakery. They will still sell cinnamon rolls. And like at DCA, Disney cast members will work there. Starbucks will train and guide the operation when it comes to their drinks as they have strict quality control (unlike some other companies who shall remain nameless). This is not a sky is falling scenario. This is an improvement of a lackluster offering in response to years of guest requests.

And the essence of WDW includes sponsorship. For decades, Main Street was home to several corporate entities, both at DL and MK. Walt Disney himself allowed OUTSIDE product to be served in his theme parks. I know, the mind reels.

If we didn't have a precedent here, I might be able to understand the outrage. But seeing as most WDW fans wouldn't dream of visiting DLR, they have no idea how well the Starbucks integration was done at DCA. And, Disney coffee BLOWS. It's all but undrinkable. Starbucks, while not the gold standard in beanery, is a heck of a lot better.

The only negative is that they're taking six months to do what should take one, maybe two months. But again, such timelines are de rigeur at WDW.

I have a low post count. Feel free to disregard anything I say. :)

It has already been confirmed - It will be Starbucks employees working there trained by Disney, not the other way around.

SirLink

Splash Mountain is going down for a lengthy refurb in January.

Yeah, a "small sponsor logo". That's why it will be closed for 6 months.:rolleyes:

Yes a 2.5 month rehab will sort out all the issues with Splash, BTMR was down 6 months and not everything was fixed in that so yeah. :rolleyes:

But I gotta ask were you so vitriolic when Disney decided to turn the Emporium and Center street into a giant Disney store, when the Yeti broke, reduced levels of maintenance, etc?

Or is it only complaining when we are getting something better, i.e coffee, which is next to a Nestle ice cream parlor and opposite a Coke hot dog stand

My point being that there are more important concerns than Starbucks regarding the parks, especially as we will have decent coffee - even if its one location in the parks.

captainkidd

Disney has quite a few other shops in their parks fyi... I'm sure the employees will be fine. Heck, maybe Starbucks will hire them since they've worked there... and I'm guessing they would pay much better than the piddly pathetic amount Disney pays their CMS. I understand why you are upset, to a degree, but I think you are taking it overboard.

Some of the CM's have worked in the Bake Shop for 15-20 years. You don't think they'll have an issue being uprooted and moved someplace else?

captainkidd

Yes a 2.5 month rehab will sort out all the issues with Splash, BTMR was down 6 months and not everything was fixed in that so yeah. :rolleyes:

But I gotta ask were you so vitriolic when Disney decided to turn the Emporium and Center street into a giant Disney store, when the Yeti broke, reduced levels of maintenance, etc?

Or is it only complaining when we are getting something better, i.e coffee, which is next to a Nestle ice cream parlor and opposite a Coke hot dog stand

My point being that there are more important concerns than Starbucks regarding the parks, especially as we will have decent coffee - even if its one location in the parks.

Um, yeah - I'm what's known as a doom and gloomer. I have no problem calling Disney out on their crap. Anyone that has been here a while can back me up on that.

If Disney proves me wrong and simply adds Starbucks coffee to the menu, then I'll admit to being wrong and overreacting. I just don't believe that a 6 month close of shop is going only to entail changing the brand of coffee served.

GeneralKnowledge

Some of the CM's have worked in the Bake Shop for 15-20 years. You don't think they'll have an issue being uprooted and moved someplace else?

Someone is still going to have to bake the "classic Disney favorites" and there are several other baking locations on property most of them will probably be assimilated into.

bubbles1812

If they don't like it, they can quit. Otherwise, they are just going to have to get over it. This is happening. I don't feel that much sympathy in this case. I'm sorry. Maybe that seems harsh but hey, they have jobs. Something many don't. And I doubt they will be losing them unless they choose to leave. And since they've worked there as long as you say, I'm guessing they won't quit. I am sure Disney will offer to place them somewhere else, and I also wouldn't be surprised to learn that Starbucks offers them an interview. People get moved to work in different areas of the parks. It happens. There are plenty of shops and restaurants elsewhere as well as other bakery areas.

captainkidd

The sponsorship thing doesn't bother me one bit. As others have said, this is nothing new. Jeez, practically every Epcot pavilion has a sponsor. What bothers me is getting rid of some of the food we've come to love, having Starbucks employees working there, and changing the look of the Bake Shop. I hope I'm wrong about what I think the end result will be, and if I am, I'll be ecstatic. I just don't see this being a case of adding a sponsor.

captainkidd

Let me guess.. you're not going to spend any more money there... after the trip you already have booked?

Still waiting for you to post something non sarcastic and polite on the board. Perhaps when the Yeti is fixed???

And no, of course this won't stop me from going to Disney. However, I have absolutely stuck by my word to stop spending so much money there. I refuse to book rooms through Disney anymore, and we split our time up now between Disney and Universal.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Again, having sponsors, I get that. Closing down a landmark restaurant for a chain, crossing the line.

Why not close the Ice Cream Shop and put in a Ben and Jerry's? Or close Victoria and Albert's and put in a Capital Grille?

You mean switch it back to how it was when DL first opened? There's a concept!

People seek a purity that in itself was a retrofit when Disney finally had the money to buy everyone out and the experience (they basically picked off the vendors) to run places themselves.. and then switched to generic names instead of the sponsor names like 'Carnation'. People are wound up over names instead of actual implementation.

MattC

If I wanted to see a Starbucks I would walk 2 minutes down the street. I don't go to Disney to see what any one of us can see 50 times a day around town.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Okay, those all look better than what the bakery currently offers. Not gonna lie, I am impressed.

Because in part.. the location in DCA is a twin-location basically. It's a counter service location that ALSO serves starbucks. The Pig cafe specializes in breakfast (starbucks) in the morning, and shifts emphasis to the hot food and treats through the rest of the day.

What people are up in arms about here is a mirror copy of what people were saying about Starbucks coming to DLR.. and once they saw what Disney actually DID (not what knee-jerk fans thought they would do) everyone shut up and is happy.

HouCuseChickie

You mean like McDonalds? Already has.. and already has passed.

Sorry, guess I just don't recall the "golden arches" ever welcoming people onto MSUSA. I knew there was one in DTD for a while, but I just don't recall them being positioned so prominently as the positioning of the baker in MK.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think it was, but DAK is not the MK. They can chesse ball that park out all they want. Point being this IDEA sucks. Granted I know you coffee junkies are desperate for a good cup of joe but this is just wrong.

McDonalds was in the MK in Frontierland as a fry cart.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom