MagicBands WILL become a thing...

flynnibus

Premium Member
It simply makes the possibility of data theft even scarier. If you could get the pin numbers along with personal identification information for millions of people (kind of like what happened with Sony with the Play Station 3 data thefts) you could really wreak havoc on millions of people.

Pins - like passwords - would be stored in a one way encryption making possession of them insufficient to read them. So even if they did hack disney's backend, that's still not enough.

But pins are easier to brute force decode because of the simpler range of possibilities.

But again... What's the point... You still need the ATM card number.. Which Disney doesn't have in their system

G00fyDad

When I got my new, plastic AP, they said that eventually, the APs will be switched over to bands. They said this like it was a good thing, lol...like expected an excited response.

I know CMs sometimes say things that are partially or completely false, so I'm not too worried yet.

I like to go without a purse sometimes (skip security lines) and with my phone, keys and a small wallet already in my pocket, I don't need anything else in there! They should have a smaller, pocket-sized option. Something I could put on a key chain would be good.

I wonder if we could cut these up, poke a hole in them and stick them on key chains.

I'd bet you probably could. As long as you sew the ends up so the guts don't fall out. I can see Disney releasing new styles and other options other than bands. Key chains would be perfect.

flynnibus

Premium Member
All these conveniences crack me up. As if reaching into our pockets has become a chore.

When said pocket includes not just your ticket, but everyone's tickets, and multiple fast passes for various attractions... It becomes quite a collection you are constantly pulling in and out - and you're paranoid about losing your tickets... So every time you pull them out you risk dropping them,etc

And that's not counting the cash and coins falling out as you get up and down out of attractions, etc

It's a unnecessary pain and risk

G00fyDad

All these conveniences crack me up. As if reaching into our pockets has become a chore.

Apparently you do not have several kids in tow when you go to the parks. Or have never been behind a family trying to get everyone's cards out of their pockets, purses, lanyards, etc..., get them all scanned, try to keep an eye on the kids at the same time, OH CRAP! THE SCANNER ISN'T WORKING RIGHT!, then try to get everyone's cards back to the owners so they can spend another 5 minutes trying to put them away.

Yeah.... it has become a chore. ;)

GrumpyFan

They look nice! I will be there in late April, hoping they have them in wide use by then, or at least that I can give them a test run.

BTW: It seems there is a lot of fear and paranoia over these, even though we've been discussing them for at least 6 months. If you're worried about privacy, do yourselves a favor and do some reading to find out more about them. Chances are, many of your questions have already been answered.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
When said pocket includes not just your ticket, but everyone's tickets, and multiple fast passes for various attractions... It becomes quite a collection you are constantly pulling in and out - and you're paranoid about losing your tickets... So every time you pull them out you risk dropping them,etc

And that's not counting the cash and coins falling out as you get up and down out of attractions, etc

It's a unnecessary pain and risk

I can say, with absolute confidence, that I have never felt carrying things in my pocket was a risk.

tissandtully

When I got my new, plastic AP, they said that eventually, the APs will be switched over to bands. They said this like it was a good thing, lol...like expected an excited response.

I know CMs sometimes say things that are partially or completely false, so I'm not too worried yet.

I like to go without a purse sometimes (skip security lines) and with my phone, keys and a small wallet already in my pocket, I don't need anything else in there! They should have a smaller, pocket-sized option. Something I could put on a key chain would be good.

I wonder if we could cut these up, poke a hole in them and stick them on key chains.

Or you could wear a band on your wrist? What's the big deal?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Well good for you for never dropping something in your life!

Ha, I'm good like that.

But really, I have never tied my wallet to myself, or sewed my pocket shut to hold in change, I just never think of having a few things in my pocket as a risk.

Even if I accept that there is some risk involved in keeping KTTW cards in my pocket, I refuse to accept that wearing a bracelet is a better solution.

luv

OH CRAP! THE SCANNER ISN'T WORKING RIGHT!
thats another thing I wondered about. And I wondered before you said it, I just didn't mention it, lol.

Do we still have to carry ID into the park or when this system doesn't work and we say, "I am me," will they just trust us? I think people will still need to carry ID.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
thats another thing I wondered about. And I wondered before you said it, I just didn't mention it, lol.

Do we still have to carry ID into the park or when this system doesn't work and we say, "I am me," will they just trust us? I think people will still need to carry ID.

You should ALWAYS carry ID.

And, in this particular instance, I would assume Disney MAY ask for ID. But who knows. They rarely, if ever, do now.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Ha, I'm good like that.

But really, I have never tied my wallet to myself, or sewed my pocket shut to hold in change, I just never think of having a few things in my pocket as a risk.

Even if I accept that there is some risk involved in keeping KTTW cards in my pocket, I refuse to accept that wearing a bracelet is a better solution.
It might not be a better solution, but it is simply a different one. "Better" is up to the discretion of the user.

luv

You should ALWAYS carry ID.

And, in this particular instance, I would assume Disney MAY ask for ID. But who knows. They rarely, if ever, do now.
Oh, they do. If your card stops working or if their machine isn't reading your fingerprint, they ask for ID.

And if we are already having to carry one card, what is one more? Why the need for a wristband?

If people want wristbands - like the poster who doesn't want to dig through her purse - that's great. Wristband away. If we don't, I think a card should be available.

G00fyDad

Oh, they do. If your card stops working or if their machine isn't reading your fingerprint, they ask for ID.

And if we are already having to carry one card, what is one more? Why the need for a wristband?

If people want wristbands - like the poster who doesn't want to dig through her purse - that's great. Wristband away. If we don't, I think a card should be available.

They have never asked for my wife's ID. She is missing her right forefinger and she uses her right middle finger (start the jokes folks...:D) when she uses the biometrics. Sometimes it just doesn't work for her and they just wave her in. That's it. No ID check, ever.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom