MagicBands WILL become a thing...

spiritofNorway

Having lived in Florida for several years, I would have never wanted to wear an inch wide or so rubber band on my arm while it's 95 degrees outside. As a visitor, I certainly don't want to wear a rubber band sweat machine. No thanks.
They are "breathing" and not too bad to wear, even in Florida.
You can also shower, swim and use them pretty much everywhere...

ParentsOf4

Yes - that just means they will have a finite lifespan - but that doesn't mean it has to be just days. I've speculated the system will use signals to know when it should be active or when it should go idle to increase battery life.
Theoretically, the battery could last for years but, depending on what Disney uses the battery powered transmitter for, less for frequent WDW guests. It would be irritating for frequent guests (such as AP holders and CMs) if they had to replace their MagicBands several times per year.

ParentsOf4

So have they said how they are going to protect them from anyone with a FRID skimmer?

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/02...steal-your-credit-card-number-while-its-stil/
MagicBands and RFID cards don't have personal information on them but instead have numbers uniquely identifying them to WDW. Still, anyone with the right equipment (which is surprisingly portable) can read and clone them. At that point, there would be 2 RFID tags with the same ID. Theoretically, the system could be designed to detect this and disable the ID.

People will lose MagicBands the same why they lose KTTW cards. One of the reasons it's a good idea to require guests to use PINs for all transactions (previously Disney reported transactions under $50 did not require a PIN) is that it allows Disney to block false charges when they get lost or stolen. (A PIN can be stolen too.)

Identity theft occurs with non-RFID technology so MagicBands don't make it worse. Instead, they trade one possible form of theft for another, the new headache being identifications can be stolen while standing several feet away rather than needing imprints from credit cards. MagicBands (which can only be used at WDW) are less versatile than traditional credit cards so there should be less incentive to steal their IDs. Still, somebody is sure to try it; expect it to make headlines if it's made public.

montyz81

Some people indicate the the MagicBand will suck (excuse the language) and that they will pass the offer to have such a device. But will they really when it looks as tempting as this? The picture explains all...
8575761903_c59fcb6793_b.jpg
Those look like Apple boxes. Interesting!

lazyboy97o

I'm not following why it has to use a battery...it doesn't light up...and the new RFID passes don't have batteries...so....
They're going to be activated in ways beyond the cards. Like the customized ending to "it's a small world" or characters knowing your name. And likely a greater awareness of your location within the park.

Todd L

Some people indicate the the MagicBand will suck (excuse the language) and that they will pass the offer to have such a device. But will they really when it looks as tempting as this? The picture explains all...
8575761903_c59fcb6793_b.jpg
Im liking these...If they work like they say they should ....what could be easier?? No wallet, room key, Tickets or cash to worry about?? No brainer!!

Florida_is_hot

Im liking these...If they work like they say the should than what could be easier?? No wallet, room key, Tickets or cash to worry about?? No brainer!!

Say what....??
I get one card; it's room key, charge card. and park pass.
I leave my cash, and wallet in the safe in the room.

Do not look like a dork, wearing a cheap piece of plastic......
No brainer!!!

G00fyDad

I'm not too worried about Disney knowing if I rode Test Track or not.

I just think they're ugly and don't like to wear wristbands that aren't elastic and beaded.

I love this answer. A refreshing change from the paranoid ones of others. :D This is a reason I can fully understand.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
They won't need a battery inside.... RFID is actually powered by device you're scanning against... so in this case, the turnstile. It injects just enough power for the chip to be activated. So no need to charge! :)
There are actually three RFID chips in the bands according to the information I've seen, two passive [such as you describe] that can be activated by a scanner and one active that uses a battery and broadcasts it's ID.

There is a battery enclosed in the band.

Buried20KLeague

It's all about the convenience for me. No more trips back to the car to pick up a card left in a jacket pocket; or worse yet, to Guest Services to get a new card. No more forcing everyone to come to a dead stop on the opposite side of the turnstiles to collect all the cards. No more fishing out the cards to collect Fastpasses. At a quick glance at everyone's wrist, you know instantly if you have a missing band.
Similarly, I found the PhotopassPlus card on a lanyard so much more convenient than the regular cards which have to be pulled out of your pocket or purse each time.
And if you look at my avatar, I am already wearing a pink plastic band, so I am clearly not averse to the band concept.
It will also make a great souvenir - better than the bookmark KTTK card.
I'm in.

All of the "inconveniences" you mention above are absolutely minimal and minor at BEST. Not having to collect everyone's tickets when you go through the turnstiles???? TOTALLY worth $1.5 billion.

lebeau

When I take my kids anywhere that requires them to wear a wrist band, they complain until I let them cut it off. I stopped wearing a watch years ago because I hate wearing something on my wrist. I agree that the package is nice. Obviously Disney really wants people to like these. I wonder how long before that expensive package goes away and they just hand them to you at the desk.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom