MagicBands WILL become a thing...

G00fyDad

So have they said how they are going to protect them from anyone with a FRID skimmer?

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/02...steal-your-credit-card-number-while-its-stil/

They don't have to. Your personal info isn't going on these. Only an identifier code. That's it. That same thief would have to hack Disney's system to be able to try and match it up with your info. So what happens you ask if a thief "clones" you band? So what? You will still have to enter a PIN code at the point of sale. Does the thief have that? No. And I don't think Disney will let you put any more than $500 on there so in case some thief went through the elaborate work of cloning your band, then following you until you made a purchase so they can see your pin, then Disney would only have to reimburse up to $500. You'll be fine.

alphac2005

They are "breathing" and not too bad to wear, even in Florida.
You can also shower, swim and use them pretty much everywhere...

It's still a band on your arm. When the temperature hits a certain degree of heat, I prefer to not wear a shirt when training because I can't stand the feeling of the shirt material and heat when it's so hot. So with that being said, wearing any type of band on my arm in the Florida heat, no thanks. I never owned a watch (ha, not to open the can of worms of how many don't at all anymore, anywhere) in Florida, as I just couldn't stand the feeling of the stickiness and I'm sure that there are countless others just like myself.

I can't wait to hear the stories of the seniors that tell the cast members to drop dead because they aren't wearing a "stupid arm band" like at the hospital. :)

G00fyDad

they dont HAVE to take one YET.....but tell me you do not EVER see this as a whole replacement for the swipe card as we know it? It will....just give it time

No. Honestly, I do not ever see the cards going away. Some people have allergies, some people have serious aversions to jewelry (I don't get it either....:rolleyes:), and I am sure if we thought about it for a while there would be more reasons not to use a bracelet. The cards aren't going anywhere. I don;t care either way, I just don't see them going the way of the Dodo just yet.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
MagicBands and RFID cards don't have personal information on them but instead have numbers uniquely identifying them to WDW. Still, anyone with the right equipment (which is surprisingly portable) can read and clone them. At that point, there would be 2 RFID tags with the same ID. Theoretically, the system could be designed to detect this and disable the ID.

People will lose MagicBands the same why they lose KTTW cards. One of the reasons it's a good idea to require guests to sign all transactions (previously Disney reported transactions under $50 did not have to be signed) it that it allows Disney to identify false charges when they get stolen.

Identity theft occurs with non-RFID technology so MagicBands don't make it worse. Instead, they trade one possible form of theft for another, the new headache being identifications can be stolen while standing several feet away rather than needing imprints from credit cards. MagicBands (which can only be used at WDW) are less versatile than traditional credit cards so there should be less incentive to steal their IDs. Still, somebody is sure to try it; expect it to make headlines if it's made public.
The $50 limit lasted about a week before it went to all transactions. Now all transactions, no matter the amount, require a PIN code to be used.

G00fyDad

But I thought the idea was that you walked through the gate without turnstiles or stopping and the reader was above you?

Nope. I vaguely remember what you are talking about, but they have scanners now that still use the biometric thing and you touch your bracelet to a ball. No more turnstiles, and no more shoving a ticket in a box.

(The small gold box hanging to the right of the ball is the biometric scanner)
ht_magic_band_1_jef_130108_wg.jpg

OFTeric

After looking at these bands, and looking at some of the "limited time" plans, add-ons, beadazzeling, I am quite sure that the controversy of these bands will be forgotten in a firestorm of Marketing, and eventual fandom.

Even as a marketer in the real world, it never ceases to amaze me the true power of marketing. And no one is really better at marketing that Disney these days. So I think most people will gladly click the "I agree" check-box to sign away their own personal privacy in order to get a "limited time magic" Disney tracking unit.

OFTeric

I am sure they do, but what why that really matter?

It simply makes the possibility of data theft even scarier. If you could get the pin numbers along with personal identification information for millions of people (kind of like what happened with Sony with the Play Station 3 data thefts) you could really wreak havoc on millions of people.

ulto22

They won't need a battery inside.... RFID is actually powered by device you're scanning against... so in this case, the turnstile. It injects just enough power for the chip to be activated. So no need to charge! :)

Actually, it does need a battery as the wrist bands also contain a 2.4ghz radio, probably very similiar to the Nordic nrf24 series http://www.picshop.nl/images/NRF24L01P.jpg

The rfid is passive like you said though.

G00fyDad

After looking at these bands, and looking at some of the "limited time" plans, add-ons, beadazzeling, I am quite sure that the controversy of these bands will be forgotten in a firestorm of Marketing, and eventual fandom.

Even as a marketer in the real world, it never ceases to amaze me the true power of marketing. And no one is really better at marketing that Disney these days. So I think most people will gladly click the "I agree" check-box to sign away their own personal privacy in order to get a "limited time magic" Disney tracking unit.

Really?? Really??? LOL Not another one.... Let me see if I can say this more plainly since it has been said over, and over, and over, and over, and over again. Disney will only have an identifier on these. The thief will have to hack Disney to get your personal info. The chances of the thief getting your identifier from the band, then hacking Disney, who is behind many, many firewalls, is about a gazillion to one chance.

G00fyDad

It's still a band on your arm. When the temperature hits a certain degree of heat, I prefer to not wear a shirt when training because I can't stand the feeling of the shirt material and heat when it's so hot. So with that being said, wearing any type of band on my arm in the Florida heat, no thanks. I never owned a watch (ha, not to open the can of worms of how many don't at all anymore, anywhere) in Florida, as I just couldn't stand the feeling of the stickiness and I'm sure that there are countless others just like myself.

I can't wait to hear the stories of the seniors that tell the cast members to drop dead because they aren't wearing a "stupid arm band" like at the hospital. :)

Holy crap. Its like people are choosing to ignore this....... You don't have to take a band. Don't ask for one and guess what? You won't get one. ;)

G00fyDad

There are actually three RFID chips in the bands according to the information I've seen, two passive [such as you describe] that can be activated by a scanner and one active that uses a battery and broadcasts it's ID.

There is a battery enclosed in the band.

I agree. Its a little thick in the middle to not have something like a battery enclosed. Passive RFID is wafer thin. For example, look at the KttW card, or your credit cards.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It simply makes the possibility of data theft even scarier. If you could get the pin numbers along with personal identification information for millions of people (kind of like what happened with Sony with the Play Station 3 data thefts) you could really wreak havoc on millions of people.
The same is true with every bank card, credit card, paypal account, etc you have. Anytime your money can be accessed electronically you take a certain risk. That is why they all have a level of fraud protection. If you are not comfortable with the level of protection offered, just opt out.

flynnibus

Premium Member
They won't need a battery inside.... RFID is actually powered by device you're scanning against... so in this case, the turnstile. It injects just enough power for the chip to be activated. So no need to charge! :)

The band is not just passive RFID - it's RFID plus a radio transmitter plus circuitry and a battery.

luv

Holy crap. Its like people are choosing to ignore this....... You don't have to take a band. Don't ask for one and guess what? You won't get one. ;)
When I got my new, plastic AP, they said that eventually, the APs will be switched over to bands. They said this like it was a good thing, lol...like they expected an excited response.

I know CMs sometimes say things that are partially or completely false, so I'm not too worried yet.

I like to go without a purse sometimes (skip security lines) and with my phone, keys and a small wallet already in my pocket, I don't need anything else in there! They should have a smaller, pocket-sized option. Something I could put on a key chain would be good.

I wonder if we could cut these up, poke a hole in them and stick them on key chains.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom