MagicBands WILL become a thing...

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Except, you're changing the analogy. The point was, being loyal to Disney, means you can't go to universal. And that was compared to baseball.

In a way you could consider visiting IoA as Disney, they do offer quite a range of Marvel rides?!? ;)

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Sounds like maybe they discovered that they couldn't legally prevent people from transferring these nor keep them out of the hands of scammers/re-sellers. Either that, or they have already made a bunch of the new bands and they're ready to go, but they discovered that without stamping "NON-TRANSFERRABLE" on them, they are (legally?) open game for the re-sellers.

Snipped from the article:

It would appear that until this bill or something similar is passed, MagicBands may be on hold.

They could simply remedy the issue by adding a small sticker/flag to the band that a user must remove to activate. By removing you accept the terms-of-service.

Also, if you look at the image from the FCC version it clearly states NON-TRANSFERABLE and MUST BE USED BY THE SAME PERSON ON ALL DAYS.

disney-magic-band.jpg

flynnibus

Premium Member
They could simply remedy the issue by adding a small sticker/flag to the band that a user must remove to activate. By removing you accept the terms-of-service.

Also, if you look at the image from the FCC version it clearly states NON-TRANSFERABLE and MUST BE USED BY THE SAME PERSON ON ALL DAYS.

Yeah - that theory is bunkus. The lack of the new proposed changes to the FL ticket law does not preclude Disney from rolling out these services.

GrumpyFan

What's sad about that, is I think I posted that image and link to the article. :(
Although, in my own defense, the pics of the new bands they had on display, I wasn't able to see if that writing was on there or not.

Regardless, the legislation they were pushing for to help protect them, apparently passed the Florida Senate yesterday. So, if that was the hold up, it shouldn't be any more.

RunnerEd

How much are you willing to pay for them? What is the maximum amount you'd shell out?

The exact same amount that I'm willing to pay for any other hotel room key or park ticket. I'll use it while I'm there and take it off when I leave property (for Uni/SW/home).

RonAnnArbor

I knew they had tested them, but I thought they were done with that phase. They need to roll these out already.

They are nowhere near done testing them --- they won't be rolled out until 4th quarter if even then...its not the wristbands that need the testing, its the entire computer system supporting it. I was one of the testers last month. Half of the stuff didn't work. Its nowhere near ready for any type of rollout. It definitely won't be rolled out until after the summer vacation period, but there is no date set at present. At my interview afterwards, when I asked if they would be rolled out in the next few weeks to months, the exact quote was "not in the next weeks to months, more like months to a year"...Um, that's pretty telling.

Uncle Remus

I think they should put RFID readers at every urinal. I've always wanted to know if more people go to the furthest, closest or one in the middle.

In this one person poll I'm a middle kind of guy. I can usually find one that is empty on either side

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Pardon me if this has been asked already. Since MagicBands WILL become a thing, why havent any other Disney Parks (DisneyLand, Paris, Tokyo), started to have the technology installed?

lazyboy97o

Pardon me if this has been asked already. Since MagicBands WILL become a thing, why havent any other Disney Parks (DisneyLand, Paris, Tokyo), started to have the technology installed?
Everything needs to be testing and running properly. It was only in the past few years that Disney integrated the ticketing systems for the Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World enabling the Premier Passport, which can still be a bit of a headache.

There is also the issue of ownership and costs. To see this come to the Tokyo Disney Resort would mean that the Oriental Land Company would want to have and pay for this technology suite. Similarly, the Hong Kong Government would have to have a similar desire as they are the majority owner of Hong Kong Disneyland Resort. Disneyland Paris is controlled by The Walt Disney Company, but until just recently had to have all spending approved by its creditors.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Everything needs to be testing and running properly. It was only in the past few years that Disney integrated the ticketing systems for the Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World enabling the Premier Passport, which can still be a bit of a headache.

There is also the issue of ownership and costs. To see this come to the Tokyo Disney Resort would mean that the Oriental Land Company would want to have and pay for this technology suite. Similarly, the Hong Kong Government would have to have a similar desire as they are the majority owner of Hong Kong Disneyland Resort. Disneyland Paris is controlled by The Walt Disney Company, but until just recently had to have all spending approved by its creditors.
Disney seems confident though that this is the way of the future so why not start gearing up now instead of having all the other park years behind? Financial issues aside, are any other parks even considering doing this let alone begining to at least prepare? Is Orlando more of an experiment before they do it anywhere else?

lazyboy97o

Disney seems confident though that this is the way of the future so why not start gearing up now instead of having all the other park years behind? Financial issues aside, are any other parks even considering doing this let alone begining to at least prepare? Is Orlando more of an experiment before they do it anywhere else?
Walt Disney World is the experiment. Just look at the issues they're having with the apps and keeping everything properly sorted. There is also concern regarding the level of planning. People, even Disney fans, just don't plan for the other parks the way they now [must] plan for Walt Disney World.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom