MagicBands WILL become a thing...

PrincessMia

I want one! Last year, in HS, I either a) threw my Key to the Kingdom in the garbage can or b) lost it out of my pocket in Muppetvision 3D. Either way, I lost 30 minutes of my trip getting a new one! What a pain. Sign me up, please.

flavious27

Does it cost more, because after the first trip, I don't need to start buying a collection of them. Also I would still want a key to the world card for making purchases and getting into my room. I have a 3yo, I don't trust to have a room key on her wrist or my wrist if it comes off during a ride or whenever. I like how the tech of rfids can improve the experience but there are somethings that I still want a mag strip for.

skimbob

I am excited about using this and as a premier passholder I will get to choose what band I wear and it will stay mine. Supposedly they will be ready for my next trip in October.

G00fyDad

I am excited about using this and as a premier passholder I will get to choose what band I wear and it will stay mine. Supposedly they will be ready for my next trip in October.

I hope so. That is when we are going too. However, insiders here have said to not get your hopes up for it.

Tim_4

Does it cost more, because after the first trip, I don't need to start buying a collection of them. Also I would still want a key to the world card for making purchases and getting into my room. I have a 3yo, I don't trust to have a room key on her wrist or my wrist if it comes off during a ride or whenever. I like how the tech of rfids can improve the experience but there are somethings that I still want a mag strip for.
1. No, it doesn't cost more.
2. You can still have a KTTW card if you want it.
3. Your three-year-old won't have charging privileges, and I believe you can turn off the room key function on her band as well.
4. It won't come off on a ride. It's as secure as a watch. It's not a flimsy strap. It's made to withstand rides, swimming, recreation activities, etc.
5. If you keep a physical KTTW card, it will be RFID too. No more mag strip. The RFID is much more secure since it doesn't contain personal information, it merely accesses information on an outside server.

EDIT regarding security: You need a PIN to use touch-to-pay and a finger scan to get in a park, so even if someone stole your band they wouldn't be able to do anything.

Ignohippo

1. No, it doesn't cost more.
2. You can still have a KTTW card if you want it.
3. Your three-year-old won't have charging privileges, and I believe you can turn off the room key function on her band as well.
4. It won't come off on a ride. It's as secure as a watch. It's not a flimsy strap. It's made to withstand rides, swimming, recreation activities, etc.
5. If you keep a physical KTTW card, it will be RFID too. No more mag strip. The RFID is much more secure since it doesn't contain personal information, it merely accesses information on an outside server.

EDIT regarding security: You need a PIN to use touch-to-pay and a finger scan to get in a park, so even if someone stole your band they wouldn't be able to do anything.

Besides, how would they know what room or hotel you're in?

Prince-1

I have no plans of wearing one EXCEPT at the water parks. There I find it to be a great substitute for my room card because I no longer have to worry about losing it on a ride or the wave pool. Anywhere else I would rather have my card.

lazyboy97o

I have no plans of wearing one EXCEPT at the water parks. There I find it to be a great substitute for my room card because I no longer have to worry about losing it on a ride or the wave pool. Anywhere else I would rather have my card.
I think it is supposed to be an either or choice.

Neverland

Pardon me if this has been asked already. Since MagicBands WILL become a thing, why havent any other Disney Parks (DisneyLand, Paris, Tokyo), started to have the technology installed?

A few months ago at the Mermaid FP return during the last FP+ test, execs were demonstrating the system to important-looking Japanese CMs via a translator CM. They were taking notes and asking questions and seemed to be enamored with the idea. Disneyland has been confirmed to be getting the My Disney Experience app by the end of this year, which probably means we can expect MagicBands and FP+ there too.

luv

I love the new RFID APs. They don't stop working all the time! It hasn't stopped working ONCE! Yay!

I pray to God that they let us stick with them and don't force us to take these ridiculous bands. (Just had to say it again, lol.)

Sped2424

I love the new RFID APs. They don't stop working all the time! It hasn't stopped working ONCE! Yay!

I pray to God that they let us stick with them and don't force us to take these ridiculous bands. (Just had to say it again, lol.)
I got to exchange to the new RFID AP and while there I got to talk to the managers who were displaying the new Magic Bands, The magic bands will be an option for you to have and even when you get it you get to keep your RFID ap. You just get the option of choosing whether or not you want to use your magic band or your card to get into the park that day. Also I got try on the new bands and I found them to be comfortable and much smaller than I thought they were going to be.

Nmoody1

I think the bands look amazing - got to see them in person at epcot last week - I will say they look like they may become a premium item - maybe $5 each - in the future, not at roll out - just for the convenience and akso the look - the packaging was lovely and I think it will be so nuch easier than key to the world cards.

As for other resorts - I imagine they'd be a hit in japan - anything with a mickey head is, I cant see them being overly popular in paris - at the present time there would be no need.

I cant wait to get one on my arm - as for charging security - yawn (are we still discussing this) payment requires a pin - its way more secure than the current system!

CDavid

I bet we see prices more like $15 rather than $5

Heck, does Disney even sell a simple MAGNET for $5 or less?

They're going to have to pay me a lot more than that to get me to wear the blasted thing...just sayin'.

I'll be at the gym lifting weights since that means I have to carry that KTTW card around everywhere. What a burden.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I cant wait to get one on my arm - as for charging security - yawn (are we still discussing this) payment requires a pin - its way more secure than the current system!

Gotta put on my tin foil hat here and say I think people are justified in questioning the security of the bands. If hackers can use a simple droid phone to hack into and hijack an airplane then Im sure its a possibility they could hack into a wristband. Disney will no doubt take every precaution to prevent this but you would be a fool to think that there is any computer system out there that is hack-proof. I would have to say though that any hacker with the skill to hack the MM+ system would be utilizing their talents on a much larger scale and wouldnt waste their time on something small scale like Disney wristbands.

“The scientist is not a person who gives the right answers, he's one who asks the right questions.”
Claude Lévi-Strauss

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom