MagicBands WILL become a thing...

All Disney All The Time

Baseball is a terrible analogy....

I am a big Met fan(I know, I know)...

Does that mean I can't go to Fenway Park and appreciate that? Of course not.
Baseball is a great analogy. We were in Chicago once and made sure to catch a Cubbies game. Had a great time but: 1. didn't switch our fandom from the BoSox to the Cubs and 2. didn't return to Fenway expecting (and demanding) that "management" do whatever they had to to mirror "The Wrigley Experience".

Uni and WDW both offer "theme parks" but they do not offer the same "experience". That's like going to a steakhouse and expecting (and demanding) the same exact meal that you had at Joe's Crab Shack.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Baseball is a great analogy. We were in Chicago once and made sure to catch a Cubbies game. Had a great time but: 1. didn't switch our fandom from the BoSox to the Cubs and 2. didn't return to Fenway expecting (and demanding) that "management" do whatever they had to to mirror "The Wrigley Experience".

Uni and WDW both offer "theme parks" but they do not offer the same "experience". That's like going to a steakhouse and expecting (and demanding) the same exact meal that you had at Joe's Crab Shack.

Except, you're changing the analogy. The point was, being loyal to Disney, means you can't go to universal. And that was compared to baseball.

BryceM

Except, you're changing the analogy. The point was, being loyal to Disney, means you can't go to universal. And that was compared to baseball.
But it's silly when "loyalty" causes you to have a jaded opinion and stands in the way of someone enjoying other things.

Not saying this is you, but it's very true. I love both Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando. Though I do prefer Universal, I still love the World and don't consider myself "loyal" to either.

G00fyDad

It's a shame, but at least you're honest about it!

I will state that we've never done a "Disney Only" holiday - we've always done Disney/Universal/SeaWorld parks, so we've never had any loyalty.

Yes, we stay at Disney (although will be having a night at Universal next time), and we spend most of our time at Disney (4 theme parks v 2, and because we stay onsite), but we always do the 8 theme parks, and have no complaints.

You really should give them a go (Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure/Wet n Wild/SeaWorld/Busch Gardens/Aquatica/Discovery Cove) - you're really missing out by limiting yourself.

I know that Disney costs as much, but it has to do with cost too. There really isn;t anything at Uni that interests us enough to pay $400+ for a single day.

G00fyDad

So you deny yourself the opportunity to expand your horizons for the sake of a company that basically just wants your wallet?

Yeah, I am keeping my horizons "closed". LOL It's not like I haven't been all over the world and seen a ton of things. :rolleyes:

Like I said....
Its a stupid reason. It has to do loyalty to Disney among others.

G00fyDad

You GOTTA break that mindset. You'll be glad you did.

I used to be like you... I couldn't be happier that that's changed.

I can't decide whether or not to give you credit for admitting loyalty to Disney is a stupid reason.

Disney's not remotely loyal to you.

You're not married to Disney. It's not cheating. Go see what you are missing out on. I bet you will feel a lot less beholden to a huge, faceless corportaion once you see the alternatives.

I don't know about the loyalty piece of it, like @lebeau said - it's a faceless entity that in reality only cares about your dollar.
Here's my thing --- I can't see anyone who loves what WDW has to offer turning their back on Uni. Uninversal has got SOOO much going on that is an exact mirror of what we all love (or used to love) about WDW and in some cases Uni does it better!

Here's how I look at it ... remember the Matrix? Do you want to take the blue pill (aka stay at Disney)? Or do you want to take the red pill (go to Uni and see just how far Disney has let themselves go)?

That's so silly. You can go to both. You should go to both. And Sea World.

We all love Disney, but it doesn't own the only theme parks in town. And the Uni theme parks are every bit as good (sometimes better) than the Disney ones.

Disney let everything slide. They continue to things slide. It's depressing to think about. Uni just gets better and better! Go. :)

But it's silly when "loyalty" causes you to have a jaded opinion and stands in the way of someone enjoying other things.

Not saying this is you, but it's very true. I love both Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando. Though I do prefer Universal, I still love the World and don't consider myself "loyal" to either.

Maybe I shouldn't have used the loyalty reason because everyone is fixating on that. It has to do with a number of reasons. Maybe one day we will go. I am not saying never, just not soon.

BryceM

I know that Disney costs as much, but it has to do with cost too. There really isn;t anything at Uni that interests us enough to pay $400+ for a single day.
But... You're missing out on two of the greatest theme parks around... :( Great attractions, great theming, great shows, great atmosphere, great service, etc.

I can see where you're coming from though. You're used to Disney and you always have a fun time there, as do most of us! It just makes me kind of sad because you'll never (well perhaps you will!) experience the awesomeness of swinging through the streets with Spider-Man at Islands of Adventure or zooming through the streets of New York, blasting aliens at Universal Studios. :(

What I don't get is people who ONLY go to Magic Kingdom. My friend's cousin had an annual pass and went to Magic Kingdom some 26 times in a year and NEVER stepped foot in Epcot, DHS or DAK. :confused:

G00fyDad

But... You're missing out on two of the greatest theme parks around... :( Great attractions, great theming, great shows, great atmosphere, great service, etc.

I can see where you're coming from though. You're used to Disney and you always have a fun time there, as do most of us! It just makes me kind of sad because you'll never (well perhaps you will!) experience the awesomeness of swinging through the streets with Spider-Man at Islands of Adventure or zooming through the streets of New York, blasting aliens at Universal Studios. :(

What I don't get is people who ONLY go to Magic Kingdom. My friend's cousin had an annual pass and went to Magic Kingdom some 26 times in a year and NEVER stepped foot in Epcot, DHS or DAK. :confused:

Eventually I probably will do Uni. Maybe once people stop slapping at Disney because of HP. Keep in mind, I am a huge HP fan, but the bashing gets really annoying after a while. And yes, I know that is mostly Disney's fault, well, all their fault, but the talk gets to me sometimes.

I suppose if I put a little more thought into my reason for not doing Uni is that they just cost a ton to go to a park where my wife will not have a good time. When I say that I mean that she is a person that does not like the major thrill rides and that seems to me (and I may be wrong) to be what Uni is about.

BryceM

Eventually I probably will do Uni. Maybe once people stop slapping at Disney because of HP. Keep in mind, I am a huge HP fan, but the bashing gets really annoying after a while. And yes, I know that is mostly Disney's fault, well, all their fault, but the talk gets to me sometimes.

I suppose if I put a little more thought into my reason for not doing Uni is that they just cost a ton to go to a park where my wife will not have a good time. When I say that I mean that she is a person that does not like the major thrill rides and that seems to me (and I may be wrong) to be what Uni is about.
Yes, I'd say Universal has more thrill rides than Disney, but they have tons of other attractions and shows and places to explore that aim towards any age group. I absolutely love the Universal Horror Make Up show and I love exploring Camp Jurassic and The Discovery Center. There is a TON of things in both parks that can really light up anybody's interests!

And if you love Harry Potter, you are surely missing out.

Sue_Vongello

Yes, I'd say Universal has more thrill rides than Disney, but they have tons of other attractions and shows and places to explore that aim towards any age group. I absolutely love the Universal Horror Make Up show and I love exploring Camp Jurassic and The Discovery Center. There is a TON of things in both parks that can really light up anybody's interests!

And if you love Harry Potter, you are surely missing out.

I watched the first three Potter flicks (Azkaban was the best) and never read the books. So to @BryceM point I'd say I'm not a fan of the Potter franchise ... and I love LOVE that land and attractions. I can only imagine what a Potter fan feels about the land. So yeah ... if you love Potter ... GO.

G00fyDad

I watched the first three Potter flicks (Azkaban was the best) and never read the books. So to @BryceM point I'd say I'm not a fan of the Potter franchise ... and I love LOVE that land and attractions. I can only imagine what a Potter fan feels about the land. So yeah ... if you love Potter ... GO.

I probably will at some point. We actually attempted it in 2005 (way before HP), but the day we were planning on going my daughter and I got seriously ill and we decided to hang out at the resort and die there instead. ;)

Jessica Meier

8575761903_c59fcb6793_z.jpg

disneyeater

We have 3 sons, now grown. None of them went to WDW until they were old enough not to need a stroller. The wife and I never felt the need to carry giant backpacks loaded down like we were searching for Dr. Livingstone and no kid in the history of the world ever died because they couldn't have apple slices for 7 or 8 hr. The wife and I also decided that if we couldn't afford to buy a few bottles of water each day in the parks that we needed to find less expensive venues for family vacations.

Listen Richard, why do you care if people carry backpacks? How does it affect your vacation? Why would someone deny themselves and their children a vacation to Disney World just because they need to trim the extra expenses by bringing food or water?

ParentsOf4

@G00fyDad - Think of the Universal parks as Disney's brand new 5th and 6th gate if that helps.

These parks are filled with Disney-calibre attractions you have never experienced. Run, don't walk!
Just throw in a few Mickey Ice Cream Bars, a few Mickey ballons, a few Disney Pin Traders, and folks would love the Universal parks.:D

P.S. Darn, I forgot the Dole Whip!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom