MagicBands WILL become a thing...

ToTBellHop

But that does not seem to be the case. The evidence points towards Disney incentivizing the MagicBand program, particularly through more customized experiences.
Certainly the case--thus my point that you wouldn't be missing on on anything you CURRENTLY receive. There will be new additions that will be MagicBand exclusive, but the Tower of Terror will still be available to everyone.

djlaosc

Here are other way the new bands can be worn that will eliminate any issues you stated above

• in your pocket, purse, or bag (to be taken out when needed like cards)
  • around you bag, purse or pack (really odd for me to type that)
  • around a lanyard or necklace
  • around a belt loop
  • keep the band in your car/hotel room if you are not going to be on Disney property
The sun burn excuse is a moot point from the begining as you can put it so many other places and Disney hardly has queue lines that are out in the sun. Stick the band in your pocket during parade days or in a locker at a water park.

But isn't a MagicBand going to take more space in your pocket/purse/bag/ pack?

I'm not saying that there aren't other places to put the MagicBand, but they seem to want you to wear it around your wrist - I'm just explaining reasons why people may not want to wear one around their wrist.

As I said, if I am given one, it's going in my pocket!

openendedsky

I've never said anything about getting the cards out early. But you're still arguing a false correlation even you admit to not following. There is no requirement that cards be kept in bags or if one has a bag, regardless of the reason, that it must be used to store the cards. You can need a bag and still keep cards in a lanyard (and with RFID they now don't need to be removed from the pouch), or a pocket, or a separate pocket within the bag itself. There is nothing mandatory about the relationship between having a bag, no matter how necessary, and where cards are kept.

As other people in this thread have pointed out, there are even legitimate reasons to decide to keep the MagicBand in a bag or desire something other than a bracelet. But like deciding to keep cards in a bag, it is not a must.
I generally don't carry my lanyard if I have to bring my purse, though. And I never once said that I was speaking for everybody. Just that I can see why certain people would choose certain things over another, but it's not my place to say, well, hey, you're just inconveniencing yourself, whenever somebody might have a certain reason for doing things their way. If somebody is being totally rude and inconsiderate and holding up the line, then okay, that's not cool, but if somebody wants to use a magic band, that's fine and I don't really see how any of us can look down on anybody else because it fits their plan better.

I'm not even trying to be argumentative here, just explaining things from another perspective.

msteel

Parents already load up like they are trekking across The Gobi Desert. It's as if they are afraid of dying of dehydration and starvation if they go more than 10 ft. without their own bottled water and apple slices.

I can't speak for everyone but some of us load up the stroller because we are tightwads who simply cannot justify paying park prices for stuff like water and apple slices. We choose the inconvenience of loading up the stroller in exchange for the economic benefits it brings us. And (again, not necessarily speaking for everyone) we believe we are considerate in the way we drive the stroller.

ToTBellHop

I can't speak for everyone but some of us load up the stroller because we are tightwads who simply cannot justify paying park prices for stuff like water and apple slices. We choose the inconvenience of loading up the stroller in exchange for the economic benefits it brings us. And (again, not necessarily speaking for everyone) we believe we are considerate in the way we drive the stroller.
Plus, not for nothing, many of us do not use gerber food or huggies diapers so we don't want what Disney offers. Huggies don't have wetness indicators!

openendedsky

That, and, you never actually know when you'll wind up needing all of that stuff. My boyfriend's mom is a walking first aid stand. And I've dealt with the first aid people at Disney, and would rather not have to again unless there were no other option.

Figments Friend

Some people indicate the the MagicBand will suck (excuse the language) and that they will pass the offer to have such a device. But will they really when it looks as tempting as this? The picture explains all...
8575761903_c59fcb6793_b.jpg

Someone probably mentioned this earlier in the thread ( have not gone through it all at this point..) but when i look at this photo, all is see is Disney trying to market this as the new iPod, iPhone, or other Apple related tech toy 'must have'.
The packaging just seems to scream this to my eyes...

luv

Actually, yes you do have to do the fingerprint thing, but not faster is simply not true at all. We exchanged our PAPs this past week for the new RFID cards (will be the same with the bands), and the CMs said tap the card, then immediately place your finger on the reader. Worked like a champ at all the parks, and was a LOT faster than the normal readers! The lines for the old readers were backed up with 50-60 people in each line, and the new readers had ZERO waiting every time we went there - even first thing in the morning. It really is that much faster in real use.
Yes, I use it, too. :). My impression is that it is a smidge quicker, but will not decrease the lines we wait in to enter the park enough to make much difference.

Also, the way they have them set up, when one is in front of the other...bad idea, IMO.

Side by side, it didn't matter what the person next to you was doing. But if they are large people and block your ability to pass them, then the one behind them can sit there empty and unused while you wait for them to screw around with the first one.

I've had that experience twice now. Parents (larger people) helping kids to use the thing, blocking my ability to go by and use the next one. So it sits there, unused, while they're screwing around.

If they were side-by-side, that would help some.

The reason the lines are shorter now is because not everyone issuing those lines.

But you could be right and I could be wrong and maybe we will go back to the days of short (or no) lines to get into the park. We shall see. I don't think I'm wrong, but I really, really hope you are right.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
What about parking? They're not going to hook these up to parking, are they? So we'd have to show our pass for parking, right?

I saw that there will be a coloured stripe down the centre of AP Magic Bands that will indicate whether you are an AP/PAP/Premier who has free parking or a Seasonal who doesn't.

Buried20KLeague

Did you visit by yourself/with other adults? The "faster" part comes from the ability to take a family of four all at once, and the lack of turnstiles makes processing stroller and wheelchair guests MUCH faster. Also, the people who post here generally know what we're doing when we approach the gates but there are "low information" guests who wait to rummage for their keys and tickets until they're at the front of the line staring at the cast member. It speeds up the "average" and "family" guests but it doesn't do much for the "super" guests. It's like airport security. Business travelers know what they're doing but there's plenty of room for innovation to speed up family travelers.

I'm a family of 5... Three kids, one age 4 that just made her final WDW trip while still in a stroller.

Your point that it speeds the entry process for the masses by speeding up the "low information" guests makes some sense.

Tim_4

Your point that it speeds the entry process for the masses by speeding up the "low information" guests makes some sense.
I think that's the piece that has a lot of people upset about NextGen. They evaluate it from OUR perspective but the people here know the system and often beat the system. NexGen isn't FOR us, per se, because we don't need it. We do our research and come prepared and everything else. But we're a very small percentage. NextGen is Disney adapting to the low-information, ill-informed guest whose life is built around the release of the next iPhone. Those folks are becoming an even bigger majority (of society, not just WDW vacationers), and their money is just as green as ours.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I think that's the piece that has a lot of people upset about NextGen. They evaluate it from OUR perspective but the people here know the system and often beat the system. NexGen isn't FOR us, per se, because we don't need it. We do our research and come prepared and everything else. But we're a very small percentage. NextGen is Disney adapting to the low-information, ill-informed guest whose life is built around the release of the next iPhone. Those folks are becoming an even bigger majority (of society, not just WDW vacationers), and their money is just as green as ours.
Yep, FP+ will greatly reduce my FP usage. I've resigned myself to that. The advantage I'll still have is in knowing what else can be done to fill time and which rides are "worth" the posted wait time...

Tim_4

Yep, FP+ will greatly reduce my FP usage. I've resigned myself to that. The advantage I'll still have is in knowing what else can be done to fill time and which rides are "worth" the posted wait time...
Not to mention potentially lower standby times overall. That'll depend on take rate/usage of FP+.

openendedsky

Is it three FP per park per day, or just three FP per day?

NoChesterHester

Not to mention potentially lower standby times overall. That'll depend on take rate/usage of FP+.

Or potentially longer as well. If Disney's statistics are correct then the average guest uses between 1 and 2 FP's per day. Now if everyone automatically gets three... that is a huge jump in usage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom