MagicBands WILL become a thing...

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
Maybe. I'm not sure how many Flying Carpet FP+ they'll issue. Plus, since this is all done in advance, Disney can more accurately forecast ride and labor demand for the attractions with operational flexibility (additional coaster trains, etc.)
Good point.

Tim_4

Exactly whole reason for "Next Gen" never has been about "Guests" more to do with tracking/predicting the "inventory" moving through the park and knowing where to put the food carts to siphon of the money. Only way this will work is if the predictive software can predict down to the 1 in 10 people as opposed to 1 in 100 model.
Well yeah they're not going to market it to the guests as a "giant data mining scheme," just like the brochure for Magical Express isn't going to say "...so you don't rent a car and go to Universal, 192, or 535. Your only dining and merchandise options are on Walt Disney World Property."

openendedsky

I've had to use first aid services at least once on every single trip. One year our group of 7 required first aid at 3 parks plus a waterpark. I have always found them to be outstanding. Not good - outstanding! Hands down, some of the best customer service I have ever received on property.
I must have been unlucky, then. My foot was bleeding and I needed something other than a simple bandage, like some gauze to put and tape over it, or a wrap. And they gave me a band aid. It really wasn't helpful and just upset me more than I already was. I was already putting band aids on it throughout the day and wanted a slightly more permanent solution.

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
I must have been unlucky, then. My foot was bleeding and I needed something other than a simple bandage, like some gauze to put and tape over it, or a wrap. And they gave me a band aid. It really wasn't helpful and just upset me more than I already was. I was already putting band aids on it throughout the day and wanted a slightly more permanent solution.
We've used their services to: remove a splinter, ice a sore knee, get a Benadryl, get an Advil, get bandaids, get gauze and tape, and lay down with cold packs because of heat stroke. In numerous cases, they gave us 6 or 7 bandaids to go, as well as extra Advil.
Not once were they less than exceptional. I'm sorry your experience was not the same.

Buried20KLeague

Maybe. I'm not sure how many Flying Carpet FP+ they'll issue. Plus, since this is all done in advance, Disney can more accurately forecast ride and labor demand for the attractions with operational flexibility (additional coaster trains, etc.)

See, every time I read someone say that they can use real-time information to quickly adjust staff and capacity and so forth, all I can think about is every other time Dis has claimed that something could be easily adjusted or changed. For example, I remember they said that they could easily change out the film at Soarin'. Or they talked about how games at TSMM would get changed out often. There are a lot of other examples of this kind of thing, too. The plan SOUNDS great... But for one reason or another (time, money, etc) they don't often actually play out like they were advertised.

I would put my money on the idea that this "real time adjustment" they claim to be able to do will go by the wayside.

SirLink

Well yeah they're not going to market it to the guests as a "giant data mining scheme," just like the brochure for Magical Express isn't going to say "...so you don't rent a car and go to Universal, 192, or 535. Your only dining and merchandise options are on Walt Disney World Property."

No they aren't, but equally there are no actual benefits of "Next Gen" ponzi scheme, though.

djlaosc

See, every time I read someone say that they can use real-time information to quickly adjust staff and capacity and so forth, all I can think about is every other time Dis has claimed that something could be easily adjusted or changed. For example, I remember they said that they could easily change out the film at Soarin'. Or they talked about how games at TSMM would get changed out often. There are a lot of other examples of this kind of thing, too. The plan SOUNDS great... But for one reason or another (time, money, etc) they don't often actually play out like they were advertised.

I would put my money on the idea that this "real time adjustment" they claim to be able to do will go by the wayside.

Star Tours - 1987
Star Tours 2.0 - 2011

Wasn't Star Tours supposed to be able to be changed easily? And didn't it take nearly 24.5 years for them to change it?

At least Toy Story only took two years to change from "Bo Peep's Baaa-loon Pop" to "Rex and Trixie's Dino Darts", of course, that was for "marketing Toy Story 3", not just to change it up, and of course, nothing has changed in the nearly 3 years after this change.

Of course, I guess that this "real time information for staff and capacity" could end up saving them money, so I would imagine that they will be more interested in doing that than spending money on replacing a film that still has people queuing up for it...

Buried20KLeague

FP has always been about the net sum.. not about how long a line is at ONE attraction.

Understood. But currently, the net sum applies only to roster of attractions that need FP (mostly) due to level of experience and que length and capacity. They're worthy of FP. The second and third tier attractions are currently able to be "happened upon" as you come across them, or when a whim hits you. That's largely going to be taken away... At least, if you don't want to stand in a 20 minute line for SGE or the teacups.

The need to pump up false value in the FP system by adding attractions that don't need it is a major downside of this system to me. HM already had FP and had it removed because it made no sense. The fact that this system is putting it BACK in place is almost funny to me.

NoChesterHester

You can't come to that conclusion without more information... you need to know how many FPs the people outside the average actually use to see if incrementing by 1.. overtakes how many you took away from others.

Agree. Hence my use of the word "potential." I was responding to a post speculating about the potential for shorter lines. The opposite is also possible.

Weather_Lady

My main issue is likely going to arise the moment the kids discover that their Magic Band can be removed. They will decide to take it off, put it on, take it off, do a little dance while whipping it over their head, put it on backwards, take it off, try to put it on their ankle and/or dangle it from an ear, try it on a stuffed animal, put it on, take it off, do another little dance and... uh - where did it go? Time to go to Guest Services for a new one. Repeat ten times per day.

Grumpy1973

It's a 2013 Disney version of the "Livestrong bands" that everyone seemed to used to WANT to wear, they were all over the place, major difference seems to be that those were voluntary and no one wants to be MADE to wear one.. If you want one get one, if you dont ask for the card.. its no different to me than say places like Fun Spot selling wrist bands instead of "cards", difference is they always have and so noone says "i dont like wristbands, can you make mine a card i can put in my pocket instead?".. my 3 and 8 year old and wife would LOVE a pink one and I'll take whatever, just tell me how I get them and when they are available to AP holders.. Thanks!

openendedsky

We've used their services to: remove a splinter, ice a sore knee, get a Benadryl, get an Advil, get bandaids, get gauze and tape, and lay down with cold packs because of heat stroke. In numerous cases, they gave us 6 or 7 bandaids to go, as well as extra Advil.
Not once were they less than exceptional. I'm sorry your experience was not the same.
It's alright, reading your post is encouraging to give it a second chance. It was just frustrating because I knew what I needed, yet the service was not met.

Buried20KLeague

Star Tours - 1987
Star Tours 2.0 - 2011

Wasn't Star Tours supposed to be able to be changed easily? And didn't it take nearly 24.5 years for them to change it?

At least Toy Story only took two years to change from "Bo Peep's Baaa-loon Pop" to "Rex and Trixie's Dino Darts", of course, that was for "marketing Toy Story 3", not just to change it up, and of course, nothing has changed in the nearly 3 years after this change.

Of course, I guess that this "real time information for staff and capacity" could end up saving them money, so I would imagine that they will be more interested in doing that than spending money on replacing a film that still has people queuing up for it...

I was going to use Star Tours as an example too, but then I didn't want to muddy the waters and have anyone say that it was just changed, or that there are multiple choices when you ride it now. Well SURE there is... But like you said it took over 20 years to do it.

And I also agree... I think if this real time info is used for anything, it will be for CUTS... Not for ADDS.

G00fyDad

I was going to use Star Tours as an example too, but then I didn't want to muddy the waters and have anyone say that it was just changed, or that there are multiple choices when you ride it now. Well SURE there is... But like you said it took over 20 years to do it.

And I also agree... I think if this real time info is used for anything, it will be for CUTS... Not for ADDS.

I thought Disney referred to those CUTS as streamlining your experience? o_O

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom