MagicBands WILL become a thing...

Buried20KLeague

Actually, yes you do have to do the fingerprint thing, but not faster is simply not true at all. We exchanged our PAPs this past week for the new RFID cards (will be the same with the bands), and the CMs said tap the card, then immediately place your finger on the reader. Worked like a champ at all the parks, and was a LOT faster than the normal readers! The lines for the old readers were backed up with 50-60 people in each line, and the new readers had ZERO waiting every time we went there - even first thing in the morning. It really is that much faster in real use.

I was also there last week, and I didn't find it faster what so ever. Instead of sticking a card in a slot, I was holding it in front of the ball. Then both required a finger scan. I fail to see how that's any faster at all. The process was altered, nothing more.

And the longer lines at the normal turnstiles are largely due to the fact not everyone is using RFID tickets yet... Not because OMG! Park entry is super fast now!!

djlaosc

Nobody seemed to complain about questionable fashion choices when they mandated wristbands for Evening Extra Magic Hours...it seems like people just want something to complain about. To me, the only thing about nextgen worth complaining about is its cost and what that cost kept us from receiving.
  • EEMH Wristbands only had to be worn for three hours (now it would only be two) - If I go on a two/three week holiday (like lots of Brits do), am I expected to wear a wristband for two/three weeks?
  • EEMH Wristbands were only for "evening" use - no issue of suntan lines/less of an issue of sweating.
  • EEMH Wristbands were only for while you were "at Disney that night" - if I was going to Universal/SeaWorld/Mall, I would not have to wear/carry on me an EEMH Wristband (it would be cut off before you went to bed that night) - if you're staying onsite, your MagicBand is your room key, and you're going to have to take them with you - wearing a MagicBand at a mall or another park will identify you as "tourist" (a card - the current door key - would not, as it is kept in your pocket/wallet - a MagicBand would take more space in your pocket)

And since Disney can't be bothered to send people outside of the US/Canada a Planning DVD, I doubt that we're going to be getting one of those fancy boxes delivered to our houses!

Tim_4

I was also there last week, and I didn't find it faster what so ever. Instead of sticking a card in a slot, I was holding it in front of the ball. Then both required a finger scan. I fail to see how that's any faster at all. The process was altered, nothing more.
Did you visit by yourself/with other adults? The "faster" part comes from the ability to take a family of four all at once, and the lack of turnstiles makes processing stroller and wheelchair guests MUCH faster. Also, the people who post here generally know what we're doing when we approach the gates but there are "low information" guests who wait to rummage for their keys and tickets until they're at the front of the line staring at the cast member. It speeds up the "average" and "family" guests but it doesn't do much for the "super" guests. It's like airport security. Business travelers know what they're doing but there's plenty of room for innovation to speed up family travelers.

ToTBellHop

• EEMH Wristbands only had to be worn for three hours (now it would only be two) - If I go on a two/three week holiday (like lots of Brits do), am I expected to wear a wristband for two/three weeks?
  • EEMH Wristbands were only for "evening" use - no issue of suntan lines/less of an issue of sweating.
  • EEMH Wristbands were only for while you were "at Disney that night" - if I was going to Universal/SeaWorld/Mall, I would not have to wear/carry on me an EEMH Wristband (it would be cut off before you went to bed that night) - if you're staying onsite, your MagicBand is your room key, and you're going to have to take them with you - wearing a MagicBand at a mall or another park will identify you as "tourist" (a card - the current door key - would not, as it is kept in your pocket/wallet - a MagicBand would take more space in your pocket)
~shrug~

Then don't wear a band...you won't be missing out on anything you currently receive, anyway. Only with the MagicBand can Mickey reveal the results of paternity tests to thousands of families. "You are...NOT the father. Oh, boy!"

G00fyDad

Don't get the band.

Don't get the band.
Don't get the band.

lazyboy97o

But it will save people time from having to look in their purse/bags/etc, and hold up the line. And please don't say "it's an inconvenience you inflict upon yourself". I get that you can have your ticket out early. I usually did as well, but it's the process. And a lot of times people can't just not bring their bags.
I've never said anything about getting the cards out early. But you're still arguing a false correlation even you admit to not following. There is no requirement that cards be kept in bags or if one has a bag, regardless of the reason, that it must be used to store the cards. You can need a bag and still keep cards in a lanyard (and with RFID they now don't need to be removed from the pouch), or a pocket, or a separate pocket within the bag itself. There is nothing mandatory about the relationship between having a bag, no matter how necessary, and where cards are kept.

As other people in this thread have pointed out, there are even legitimate reasons to decide to keep the MagicBand in a bag or desire something other than a bracelet. But like deciding to keep cards in a bag, it is not a must.

Tim_4

Guests who have vacations booked for later this year will need to decide whether or not to opt out and whether or not to use the MagicBands, and they can't very well make that decision with no information.
Any guest who will have that decision to make will have the information to do so.

G00fyDad

~shrug~

Then don't wear a band...you won't be missing out on anything you currently receive, anyway. Only with the MagicBand can Mickey reveal the results of paternity tests to thousands of families. "You are...NOT the father. Oh, boy!"

Okay. THAT was the funniest reply to this debacle of a thread I have seen yet. Kudos.

djlaosc

~shrug~

I won't be wearing one - if I'm given one, it's going in my pocket (or around my ankle... ;))

lazyboy97o

~shrug~

But that does not seem to be the case. The evidence points towards Disney incentivizing the MagicBand program, particularly through more customized experiences.

rioriz

Here are other way the new bands can be worn that will eliminate any issues you stated above

• in your pocket, purse, or bag (to be taken out when needed like cards)
  • around you bag, purse or pack
  • around a lanyard or necklace
  • around a belt loop
  • keep the band in your car/hotel room if you are not going to be on Disney property

The sun burn excuse is a moot point from the begining as you can put it so many other places and Disney hardly has queue lines that are out in the sun. Stick the band in your pocket during parade days or in a locker at a water park.

juniorthomas

Some people indicate the the MagicBand will suck (excuse the language) and that they will pass the offer to have such a device. But will they really when it looks as tempting as this? The picture explains all...
8575761903_c59fcb6793_b.jpg
Epic. Win.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom