Magical Express..Do you tip the driver?

sgtmgd

Rumour has it the 3 men caught scamming the resorts started out as DME drivers.........................

Spikerdink

i usually tip a buck coming in (no bags) and two bucks going home (bags under the bus)....

These guys/girls work pretty hard in a thankless job....I have never had a rude driver, but have had some drivers who did try to make the trip more enjoyable (pointing out where some alligators have been spotted next to the road, giving weather information....)

On a trip I am spending over $1k on, is it so hard to tip a buck??

fractal

I tip a buck a bag.

I also tipped a ME driver that took us to the airport just because of how jovial and entertaining he was.

Asking for a tip though is just obnoxious.

Foolish Mortal

I absolutely always give them something. Never have more than 2 carry on bags so $2-3 is my normal. If the driver was especially funny before the video I'll give 'em a $5. For those of you who dont tip or dont think you should have to tip consider this....the driver got you safely to your resort and many times are handling YOUR heavy bag. It's only a buck or two and they are assisting you.

Tom

Beta Return
I absolutely always give them something. Never have more than 2 carry on bags so $2-3 is my normal. If the driver was especially funny before the video I'll give 'em a $5. For those of you who dont tip or dont think you should have to tip consider this....the driver got you safely to your resort and many times are handling YOUR heavy bag. It's only a buck or two and they are assisting you.

The way I see it, the driver is being paid by Mears to get me safely to my resort in a timely manner. That's his job.

To earn a tip, one is expected to go above and beyond. Tips have become far too "expected" these days. I have indeed handed a DME driver a couple bucks for providing a very professional (and understandable) spiel before the video, a fun "welcome to Disney" song when passing under the arch, and helpful and specific details regarding when to disembark (i.e. which resorts in which order, or which airport side to get off on).

However, if he/she just plops down, drives me to the hotel, and I get off with my own carry-on - that's not "above and beyond". He/She fulfilled their job duties.

And if a driver eats the microphone and rambles on unintelligibly for minutes about who-knows-what....that should be negative tip. Especially if he starts talking over the video, which is my "I'm here" tradition.

But that's just me.

PhilharMagician

WOW! $20 for a bus ride. I guess I can only say that you're a very generous person.

$20 is what I budget for housekeeping and baggage personnel for an entire trip :ROFLOL:

I usually tip a buck a bag when I take ME. The same goes to a town car driver, Bell Services or anyone handling my bags.

I never get away with $20.00. We tip at least 4 times for bags. With 3 of us that is 3 checked bags plus 3 carry-ons.
  • MCO to Resort Check-in
  • Bell Services to room
  • Room to Bell Services
  • From Resort to MCO (We do resort airline check-in, but still tip the baggage handler)

I spend close to $50.00 per trip at a single resort for baggage and house keeping tips and house keeping tips are minimal since we stay in DVC villas and typically only see 2 cleanings per trip. Now when we switch resorts mid trip you are looking @ another $20 - $30 more for bell services. I don't want to even think how much I spend in restaurant/bar tips during a trip:eek:. It has to be between $350 - $400 for our typical 2 week stay.

No wonder why I cannot afford to go to Disney this year!:veryconfu

Tom

Beta Return
I usually tip a buck a bag when I take ME. The same goes to a town car driver, Bell Services or anyone handling my bags.

I never get away with $20.00. We tip at least 4 times for bags. With 3 of us that is 3 checked bags plus 3 carry-ons.
  • MCO to Resort Check-in
  • Bell Services to room
  • Room to Bell Services
  • From Resort to MCO (We do resort airline check-in, but still tip the baggage handler)

I spend close to $50.00 per trip at a single resort for baggage and house keeping tips and house keeping tips are minimal since we stay in DVC villas and typically only see 2 cleanings per trip. Now when we switch resorts mid trip you are looking @ another $20 - $30 more for bell services. I don't want to even think how much I spend in restaurant/bar tips during a trip:eek:. It has to be between $350 - $400 for our typical 2 week stay.

No wonder why I cannot afford to go to Disney this year!:veryconfu

We'll let DME handle our bags with the yellow tags, so we'll tip $2 (we each usually have one checked back) when we use Park-Ride-Fly at the Indy Airport.

Then if our room isn't ready, we'll stow our carry-ons ($4) with bell. I only tip when picking up.

On the last day, we'll take our checked bags immediately to the airline check-in desk, and there's no tipping there since nobody really does anything helpful with my bags.

But we'll then stow our carry-ons with Bell again while we play until DME time, then we tip $4 for those 4 bags.

Then another $2 for the airport shuttle when we get home.

That's $12 so far.

For housekeeping, I tip $2 the first day, to thank her for setting the room up for us as generic guests. If she goes above and beyond or has to clean up a super messy room, I'll throw down $2-4 one day, depending on how she did the day before. I.E. on our most recent trip, we were shorted soap/shampoo and I had to go steal if from her cart one morning just to take a shower, because I couldn't find her anywhere....and another day was "sleep in" day, so she didn't have to do anything to our room, but I was able to get a handful of towels from her in the hallway.

It is our philosophy that we're paying big bucks for a hotel, so we want new towels every day. So, she has to collect a mountain of towels off the floor and replace them all. Plus, we destroy the bed by putting the comforter in a corner (as far from my body as possible), and un-tuck everything. So, she usually has her work cut out.

So I guess we're closer to $30 in service tips if it's a long trip and housekeeping is good.

Becky

I have never had a bag on DME and usually upon arrival most drivers are just standing at the bottom of the steps doing nothing other than waiting for a tip. Now if they help us off the bus or are otherwise helpful during the trip then yes a small Tip $1-$2. Think about it, do you tip a city bus or subway operator for getting you to you destination? Did you tip your planes pilot for getting you to MCO? Housekeeping, absolutly. They usually do a wonderful job and always have a pleasent hello when you see them in the "hallways".

Tom

Beta Return
I have never had a bag on DME and usually upon arrival most drivers are just standing at the bottom of the steps doing nothing other than waiting for a tip. Now if they help us off the bus or are otherwise helpful during the trip then yes a small Tip $1-$2. Think about it, do you tip a city bus or subway operator for getting you to you destination? Did you tip your planes pilot for getting you to MCO? Housekeeping, absolutly. They usually do a wonderful job and always have a pleasent hello when you see them in the "hallways".

Ditto.

JillC LI

For me, I tip anyone that provides me with a service, rather it be a server or bus driver, as long as I have a bags down below. However, what I tip does depend on the quality of service. In your case with him basically begging, he would not get a tip from me. Just like when a server asks if you want change back. They usually lose a dollar or two just for that. I find it rude. So to answer your question, I do tip DME as long as they put a bag below and provide me with quality service. I usually tip $1 per bag.

This is one of my pet peeves! Really p*sses me off when a waiter says, "Do you want change?"
"Um no, I left that $50 bill in there because I want you to keep the change on that $22 bill." Just tell me you'll get me my change and leave it to me to tell you if I don't need any.

As I regularly tell the current Mrs Sak.

:ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom