Magical Express..Do you tip the driver?

fractal

This is one of my pet peeves! Really p*sses me off when a waiter says, "Do you want change?"
"Um no, I left that $50 bill in there because I want you to keep the change on that $22 bill." Just tell me you'll get me my change and leave it to me to tell you if I don't need any.

:ROFLOL:

yes! one of my pet peeves as well!

Colugino

I don't think it is expected. For the most part, when you arrive at the airport they don't load or unload luggage unless you have large carry-on items. When I am going back to the airport I usually tip because they are loading my luggage.

darthokeefe

Wow, I am constantly amazed how cheap people are. Yes of course u should tip the driver. The service costs nothing at the time ...help a brother out. The same person who skimps on a 5 dollar tip will spend 75 dollars on a overpriced sweatshirt or bottle of wine at dinner. The drivers didnt set up the tip system ...society did.

darthokeefe

The way I see it, the driver is being paid by Mears to get me safely to my resort in a timely manner. That's his job.

To earn a tip, one is expected to go above and beyond. Tips have become far too "expected" these days. I have indeed handed a DME driver a couple bucks for providing a very professional (and understandable) spiel before the video, a fun "welcome to Disney" song when passing under the arch, and helpful and specific details regarding when to disembark (i.e. which resorts in which order, or which airport side to get off on).

However, if he/she just plops down, drives me to the hotel, and I get off with my own carry-on - that's not "above and beyond". He/She fulfilled their job duties.

And if a driver eats the microphone and rambles on unintelligibly for minutes about who-knows-what....that should be negative tip. Especially if he starts talking over the video, which is my "I'm here" tradition.

But that's just me.

Cheap

Tom

Beta Return
Wow, I am constantly amazed how cheap people are. Yes of course u should tip the driver. The service costs nothing at the time ...help a brother out. The same person who skimps on a 5 dollar tip will spend 75 dollars on a overpriced sweatshirt or bottle of wine at dinner. The drivers didnt set up the tip system ...society did.

Do you know what the drivers are paid hourly, or as a base salary? I don't, but it would be interesting to know what Mears pays their drivers. I imagine they're union, so they're probably not doing too bad. And if they're not union, they're still probably doing fairly decent. It's not a role like a waiter/waitress where your pay is intended to be offset by tips. The drivers are paid to safely transport guests around. If they go above and beyond, and do something extra for me, I'll definitely tip them. But for the most part, they're just my driver when it comes to DME.

jnavarre17065

I don't even know if those guys are on the Disney payroll to begin with or if Disney outsourced their services.

Jimmy Thick-But no one should have to deal with people begging for a tip...

THEY ARE NOT DISNEY EMPLOYEES - They make next to nothing for wages and rely on tips for their income, just like a waiter. Unlike a waiter though people do not know that they rely on your tips to support their family, which is why they make sure to let you know that tips are appreciated. The Magical express is operated by Mears Transportation(not Disney). On glassdoor, indeed, salary.com, etc. you will find that these drivers only get a wage of 7 to 9 dollars per hour. They are commiting 40 to 60 hours of their week to transporting vacationers to their destinations and without tips at the end of the day they barley have made enough gas money to get back home.

Hope this clears it up, Thanks have a great vacation.

jnavarre17065

Do you know what the drivers are paid hourly, or as a base salary? I don't, but it would be interesting to know what Mears pays their drivers. I imagine they're union, so they're probably not doing too bad. And if they're not union, they're still probably doing fairly decent. It's not a role like a waiter/waitress where your pay is intended to be offset by tips. The drivers are paid to safely transport guests around. If they go above and beyond, and do something extra for me, I'll definitely tip them. But for the most part, they're just my driver when it comes to DME.

THEY ARE NOT DISNEY EMPLOYEES - They make next to nothing for wages and rely on tips for their income, just like a waiter. Unlike a waiter though people do not know that they rely on your tips to support their family, which is why they make sure to let you know that tips are appreciated. The Magical express is operated by Mears Transportation(not Disney). On glassdoor, indeed, salary.com, etc. you will find that these drivers only get a wage of 7 to 9 dollars per hour. They are commiting 40 to 60 hours of their week to transporting vacationers to their destinations and without tips at the end of the day they barley have made enough gas money to get back home.

Tom

Beta Return

Are you a Mears driver? If not, are you friends with one or are you related to one? Your very first post is a tad harsh. I've never had a DME driver who actually brought up the "tips" topic. I've only ever seen the sign that says tips are permitted or welcomed for excellent service.

Have a great vacation too! o_O

Awww, crap. Do I have to type my entire reply again, since you responded to both of us with the exact same post? And your only two for that matter. :confused:

copcarguyp71

The main reason is, I hate waiting for just about anything, but waiting for bussess is annoying, but another reason is...

We ALWAYS use a car service upon arrival! They meet you, help with bags and there is less chance that when you actually do get to your resort that half the bus will get off and rush to check-in. I do tip that driver as he is usually cordial, engages in conversation and caries the bags. It is well worth the small price of the service. We use ME on our return because who really cares if the trip back is slow?

Tom

Beta Return
We ALWAYS use a car service upon arrival! They meet you, help with bags and there is less chance that when you actually do get to your resort that half the bus will get off and rush to check-in. I do tip that driver as he is usually cordial, engages in conversation and caries the bags. It is well worth the small price of the service. We use ME on our return because who really cares if the trip back is slow?

How much is car service?

And I agree completely on the return trip. I always hope we're the first pick-up, and that the drive takes a while, because I'd rather be sitting on a bus (or ANYWHERE) than in an airport. Especially MCO.

copcarguyp71

Around $65 one way and they will make one stop if you like at a grocery store for sundries, water, in room snacks etc...well worth it.

JWG

Never thought about it... I would tip if they did something above and beyond. If they drive the bus, open and close the door - then probably not. Bus driver is not a traditional "tip" position - meaning they can't pay lower or below minimum wages because it's a "tip" position. Therefore, not expected. Based on what school bus drivers make near us - I can't imagine they're doing horribly. Not millionaires, but not McDonald's fry cook either.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I am not a Mears driver and I don't know anyone that is. I know a guy who worked for an airport parking shuttle service. He basically got paid minimum wage by the company knowing that a lot of people tip about $1 a bag. This is similar to waiters or bartenders who can actually be paid below minimum wage since they are earning tips. A public bus driver or a pilot flying a commercial airline is never tipped so their salary is not based on receiving tips. On my way to the airport I dropped all of my luggage and my family at arrivals and then parked. I still tipped the guy a few bucks even though I had no bags.

If I go I tip $1 a bag. If you don't have any bags handled by the driver you shouldn't feel obligated to tip. I probably still would throw the guy a buck or 2 even without bags It is a nice gesture but if the guy was rude and didn't handle your bags then he shouldn't get a tip. The point of tipping is to reward good service.

Uncle Lupe

Yes. I wanted to tip on the way to the resort we did have 3 carry -ons stowed. But i did not have any small bills at the time. Usually I have the opposite problem. We sat in the front and the driver just did his job. They only thing I could understand was that everything he told us to do was for the "safety". Leaving the resort we had the same carry-ons and sat in the front again. This time the driver did his job but was personable and was asking out daughter to point which way she wanted to go? At Old Key West we would have driven thru a golf course. That time I did tip. Not just because I had the bills but he went beyond just driving the bus. Granted we were the only ones he could talk to but he gave us that last drop of magic.

Tom

Beta Return
Yes. I wanted to tip on the way to the resort we did have 3 carry -ons stowed. But i did not have any small bills at the time. Usually I have the opposite problem. We sat in the front and the driver just did his job. They only thing I could understand was that everything he told us to do was for the "safety". Leaving the resort we had the same carry-ons and sat in the front again. This time the driver did his job but was personable and was asking out daughter to point which way she wanted to go? At Old Key West we would have driven thru a golf course. That time I did tip. Not just because I had the bills but he went beyond just driving the bus. Granted we were the only ones he could talk to but he gave us that last drop of magic.

These are the precise situations when I too would not tip vs tip.

RedBaron

A very long time ago when my husband was in college; he used to drive a shuttle bus to and from the airport for one of the rental car places. He got paid next to nothing from the company and really did depend on the tips to make his money. Sometimes he would come home and tell me that someone gave him a $20 tip which totally made his week. Other times he would tell me that someone would tell him that they were in a hurry to catch a flight and he would go above and beyond to make sure they got to the airport as fast as possible and then they would not tip him at all. I guess when I am on vacation, anyone who handles my bags in any way gets some kind of tip. If the person was particularly friendly or entertaining, I do give them more though.

captainkidd

It depends. If we take ME at the beginning of the trip, then no. He's not handling our bags, he's just driving us. At the end of the trip, yes, I usually give him about $5.00.

Sweet Melissa

I tip if he handles my luggage, which doesn't usually happen. Once I tipped a very funny driver who had the whole bus in stitches the whole ride there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom