Magical Express..Do you tip the driver?

Sans Souci

I have never had a ME driver handle bags for me so I don't tip. Also, I don't know if this is a new thing for them but the last two years my drivers also mentioned numerous times how much they would like a tip. I don't remember it being this way before 2010 but it got to an embarrasing level on my trip this year when he said the word "tip" about 6 times before he even started the bus.

I have noticed this, too. It's cheaper for us for fly to MCO on a late night flight and stay at the Hyatt in the airport, so we always get on the DME with our bags. The driver handles our bags at the airport and the resort, so we do tip. But I have heard, like you have since 2010, repeated solicitations for tips. It hasn't been as crass as using the word "tips", but rather they use the phrase, "showing appreciation."

I wonder if there's been a pay freeze, or people stopped tipping altogether?

LudwigVonDrake

I always put bag(s) under the bus so the drivers gets $1 a bag. I have no problem doing that.

Now if you want to start a thread about how some of them have a hard time speaking/understanding english :lookaroun

Minnie1976

I always give the bus drivers a tip. I have always found them polite, and they take care of my luggage putting it in the storage bin and taking it out.

Tipping the driver

I tend to treat it like anything else. If you give me exceptional service, and that could be just your outstanding attitude to the exceptional work you do, then yes I will tip. If you look like a sour puss who can't wait to punch the clock and clearly your actions scream " when is this shift over" then no, you do not get a tip. If I am on vaca. At Disney then yes I do expect exceptional service and will tip accordingly. In other words....please me and you too will be pleased.

The Duck

Whenever my uncle received lousy service in a restaurant he would ask the waiter, "Would you like a nice tip?" The waiter would say, "Yes". My uncle would reply, "Plant your corn early".

Tom

Beta Return
Yes there are two bus companies that operate DME one is Mears the other is Maruti.

I have never heard of Maruti, or of their involvement with Disney. How long have they been involved? Every single bus I've ever been on or seen was Mears (either painted like DME or DCL, or yellow Mears).

At least $3 per bag

You're quite generous. If they were unloading them, putting them on a cart and taking them inside for me...maybe.

But when on vacation, $1/bag is my standard tip for anyone, be it a bell hop retrieving them after having stowed at the Resort, or DME driver (it's been years since we took the bags on the bus with us though) and the Park-Ride-Fly (3rd party car park service in Indy) driver, each way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom